Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

*"aren't you gonna give us any for SUTS?"* - mr6666

Not this year.

"SUTS" is difficult to celebrate _if_ I am unable to find interesting and "new-to-the-Gallery" images featuring the month's honorees. While I have posters that fit that criteria for about half of the featured Stars for 2011, that still left over a dozen for whom I couldn't do "justice". So I went in a different direction again this year.

Last year I turned over the Gallery to the extraordinary portrait artwork prevalent in the Silent Era. It turned out to be a very popular series of posters. This year I've chosen to continue that emphisis on stand-out artwork with a look at the posters created for some of the most famous movie cowboys. These images cover the the 1910s to the 1940s.

What is most interesting about these posters is that they primarily came from Poverty Row studios. The films represented were seldom exceptional. But the artwork is stunning. The movies may have looked cheap but you can't say that about the posters.

I hope you will enjoy this special series. It took a lot of time and effort to gather and arrange these postings for the Gallery. With the likelihood that the TCM schedule would never offer the opportunity to showcase these posters, I decided "SUTS" month would be a perfect time to focus on these "Western Stars" and the incredible posters made for their films.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Wowsa.. I just came across these (have not taken the chance to pop in here for a few days..) and now I am on the edge of my seat!"* - rohanaka

Yea! It is always nice to know that my choices can create some excitement. Thanks.

*"What a gorgeous start you are off to, sir. Many thanks."*

You're welcome.

The first postings have featured "portrait" images of the "Stars" who will be prominent in most of the subsequent postings. Most are well known but some aren't. At least they weren't known to me. But they certainly were treated beautifully in their posters.

*"I Iove some of the titles on some of these early ones.. "Boots... of.... Destiny!!!!!!!!!!!!"*

I agree whole-heartedly - though I am partial to the taglines that are included.

"A gun-totin', broncho-bustin', gal-tamin' buckaroo!"

Gotta love it.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Aug 3, 2011 10:58 AM

*"I love the Chip of the Flying U poster!"* - JackFavell

Good! It is one of the most unique posters I've ever seen. I guess the book must have been popular for it to have been featured in such a prominent manner.

But I do think Hoot Gibson is one of the most "odd" looking men I have ever seen.

Kyle In Hollywood

*Good! It is one of the most unique posters I've ever seen. I guess the book must have been popular for it to have been featured in such a prominent manner.*

That's what I was thinking too.

*But I do think Hoot Gibson is one of the most "odd" looking men I have ever seen.*

It's odd to find a cowboy who has no chin.

Wow, two of my favorites - William S. Hart (again with lovely shadows) and sexy, ripped shirt (and ripped muscles) Harry Carey!

Kyle, those Western posters are so gorgeous! Tom Mix is looking particularly attractive.

Who's the cowboy on the horse (with the girl) in the blue Summer Under The Lights poster? He's very cute. Is it from a specific film? I don't recognize his face.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 3, 2011 6:28 PM

*"Kyle, those Western posters are so gorgeous! Tom Mix is looking particularly attractive."* - Bronxgirl48

I am so glad you are enjoying them. And you will see a lot of Tom Mix during the month.

*"Who's the cowboy on the horse (with the girl) in the blue Summer Under The Lights poster? He's very cute."*

That's Richard Arlen. And that poster will appear in an unadulterated form as the climax to this month's postings.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"It's odd to find a cowboy who has no chin."* - JackFavell

So THAT'S why it is odd looking. Now I see it - or rather, don't see it.

I think the Wm S. Hart image is a beautiful example of silkscreening. I wonder what the movie was about.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Aug 3, 2011 3:43 PM

*"OMG! Those are gorgeous ! George O'Brien AND Tom Tyler..."* - JackFavell

I didn't know those two cowboys had a "fan club" around here.

I think you and "Bronxie" better start that "aspirin regimen" I hear about. The two of you might have multiple heart attacks this August.

Kyle In Hollywood

Oh Chief!!!!

George O'Brien and Harry Carey and all this beautiful artwork!

Oh Chief!!!!!

A million and one thanks!!!!

I, as always, "heart" you!!! (It's okay, MrCutter knows why and he, too, thinks their beautiful).

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}*"Who's the cowboy on the horse (with the girl) in the blue Summer Under The Lights poster?"*

> That's Richard Arlen.

> Kyle In Hollywood

That's what I thought. And the girl is Mary Brian, right? It looks like a poster from their 1930 Paramount western THE LIGHT OF WESTERN STARS.

Ooooh, Georgie and my Lukey Plummer, Harry Carey, Sr., Roy, and another Tom into the Mix, yes, I can also swoon over cowboys! (but it's weird, I didn't recognize Tyler in that Joe Kennedy Sr. producer poster)

That was Richard Arlen on the horse? Gee, he looks better there than I've ever seen him on the screen, lol.

Keep up the phenomenal work, Kyle!

*"Oh Chief!!!! George O'Brien and Harry Carey and all this beautiful artwork! A million and one thanks!!!!"* - lzcutter

You're welcome. I understand the love for O'Brien and Carey - but I really thought you'd take to the poster for *San Fernando Valley* too.

Kyle In Hollywood

Some of these names are unfamiliar to me -- Buddy Roosevelt, Bob Custer...

Speaking of swooning, I just read that Buddy Roosevelt did some stunt work in THE SHEIK. It's a small movie world, lol.

I made an edit / change to tonight's posting when I saw that *Prairie Trails* was a sequel to *The Texan*. (I didn't read too closely.)

I had origninally planned to post the poster for *The Texan* later in the month but thought it best to post the two images together.

Sorry if these edits created any confusion.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Some of these names are unfamiliar to me -- Buddy Roosevelt, Bob Custer..."* - Bronxgirl48

Me too.

Bob Custer (in a different poster) did make it into last August's series on "Silent Faces". But I have never come across another poster for Buddy Roosevelt. And I looked at alot of them over the past few weeks.

I do think the artwork in *Ride "Em High* is beautiful. I really like that impressionist style. Plus the "drama" contained in the image is really neat too.

Kyle In Hollywood

> You're welcome. I understand the love for O'Brien and Carey - but I really thought you'd take to the poster for San Fernando Valley too.

Chief,

It made me a tad homesick.

How's that song go: "makin' the San Fernando Valley my home!"

:)