Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

I find the artwork on almost all these cowboy posters so evocative and nostalgic for a past we never lived through.

I wonder if the Roosevelt family had any feelings one way or another for Buddy taking their family name.

And, uh, Bob Custer...

Oh, heaven help me, lol, but I can't tell which one is Tom in THE TEXAN poster! I'm assuming he's with the girl, but, it doesn't look like him! The other cowboy doesn't either.

Kyle, your Western Stars series is simply superlative. They're all so beautiful with *Ride 'Em High* being a real standout. Wow, the incredible detail and color. It's just stunning. I've had a real stressful, hideous day and I can't tell you what a pleasure and release it is to come home and see your gorgeous images. I've thanked you before but I'd like to thank you again for the beauty and pleasure and eye-candy you bring to me and to all who see your wonderful, creative threads.

Thanks.

*"It made me a tad homesick. How's that song go: "makin' the San Fernando Valley my home!"* - lzcutter

Oh. And here I thought the sight of what appears to be a Busby Berkeley-esque musical number with large California Oranges would make you smile.

Isn't time for Mr. Cutter's visit?

Kyle In Hollywood

*"I find the artwork on almost all these cowboy posters so evocative and nostalgic for a past we never lived through."* - Bronxgirl48

For that era of the west or that era of filmmaking?

I am just amazed at the level of artistic talent that created these "disposable" items. And I am very happy that some people held on to them all these years later.

*"Oh, heaven help me, lol, but I can't tell which one is Tom in THE TEXAN poster!"*

*The Texan* was, I think, Tom Mix's film debut. And he is standing alone on the right side of the poster. Mix looks different from one poster to the next. And often it is not a very good likeness. Just a big, round, smiling face.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Kyle, your Western Stars series is simply superlative."* - CineramaRick

Thanks. And the series has just begun.

*"They're all so beautiful with Ride 'Em High being a real standout. Wow, the incredible detail and color. It's just stunning."*

Glad you think highly of it too. Even though no one seems to know Buddy Roosevelt, there was just no way I was leaving that image out of the series.

*"I've had a real stressful, hideous day and I can't tell you what a pleasure and release it is to come home and see your gorgeous images."*

I guess there is some theraputic value to these, huh? In that case, here's a link to last August's special SUTS Gallery -

http://forums.tcm.com/message.jspa?messageID=8431268#8431268

where you'll find a lot more eye-candy and some interesting discussions too. I hope it helps you recover from your bad day.

Your continued praise is most thoughtful. I appreciate it greatly.

Kyle In Hollywood

Kyle, the theraputic value of your threads is beyond measure - at least to me! I can't wait to explore the SUTS from last August. Thank you so much for posting the link.

And I must add that I think *Bad Man's Bluff* may have more of a *Brokeback Mountain* vibe than *The Texan*..... It's certainly open to interpretation.....

Oooh, that Gene Autry is beautiful!

It's a toss up as to who is the biggest draw here, Autry or Champion. Champion is much better looking. :D

Have you found any posters of John Wayne and Duke, another movie horse more famous than his human star (at the time)?

*"Have you found any posters of John Wayne and Duke, another movie horse more famous than his human star (at the time)?"* - JackFavell

Are you sure that isn't "Duke" in the image posted along with the Gene Autry poster today? (I guess that really doesn't look like Wayne so it might not really be "Duke" either.)

"Duke" just might make an appearance yet this month. In the meantime, here's a link to a set of John Wayne posters that were added to the Gallery in May, 2010.

http://forums.tcm.com/click.jspa?searchID=353849&messageID=8406827

Hopefully these can tide you over for awhile.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thanks Kyle!

Apparently, Duke worked with John Wayne in 1932-33, and this film was from 1934.

I took a look at the link you posted.... I knew I'd seen some Duke the Wonder Horse posters here before!

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 5, 2011 6:39 PM

I guess I'm nostalgic for 1920's California -- Palm Springs, Catalina, all that dusty elegance...

I find Tom's nose very intriguing.

Gene Autry in RED RIVER VALLEY looks like Mix, LOL!

And Duke on the horse in THE LAWLESS FRONTIER looks like James Cagney.

Edited by: Bronxgirl48 on Aug 5, 2011 7:21 PM

Chief,

I know the *Lawless Frontier* poster is very stylized but I love it. Not sure why, but it caught my eye this morning when I saw it and about 12 hours later, I still love it.

Thank you for this great gallery!! So many gems that don't always get the exposure they deserve but now, thanks to your keen eye, we get to enjoy them!

All hail, K! (sorry for the homage to *Men in Black* but I thought it fitting).

HA! Is that codger by Norman Rockwell?

Oh, Kyle, how perfectly lovely! Full of dusty charm. Yes, cowboys, canyons, romance, you got it. (I don't want to think about the reality of cowboy life around the campfire; i.e., BLAZING SADDLES)

Thanks, Kyle! And, not to be too much of a burden to you (only I could go from fey to flatulence in one paragraph, I'm ashamed to say) -- is the lovely, charming, picturesque one with the couple amid the beautiful Western vista from an actual movie?

I don't know who "Lulu Belle" and "Scotty" are from that Roy Rogers poster SHINE ON HARVEST MOON, but their poses creepily remind me of Barbara Stanwyck and Kirk Douglas from THE STRANGE LOVE OF MARTHA IVERS.

Okay, I'm going now, lol.

*"is the lovely, charming, picturesque one with the couple amid the beautiful Western vista from an actual movie?"* - Bronxgirl48

No. It is just a piece of illustration art. It was probably created for a magazine. No movie connection at all.

Kyle In Hollywood