Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

Thanks for the Fred Thompson poster, Kyle.

I just love his handsome, character-filled face!

He rivaled Tom Mix in popularity, eventually becoming the second most popular western star in 1926 and 1927.

Fred had been a college athlete, and also a minister, but he didn't quite find himself till he came to Hollywood. He was a big, good-natured fellow with a philosophical side.

He started out to direct westerns. He especially wanted to show kids how to live a good lifestyle outdoors, with a few hidden lessons on how to behave with nobility. He became an actor because one day, an actor failed to show up for a movie shoot. Screenwriter and director Frances Marion, seeing his good looks and lively character, put him in the picture. It was love at first sight. He and Frances married and lived an idyllic existence together.

His westerns became hugely popular. He had been training his horse Silver King to do all sorts of stunts and incorporated the horse into his pictures. Frances wrote most of his scripts under the name Frank Clifton. Fred did all his own difficult stunts too, including falls from rooftops and riding tricks. He made 29 pictures in 7 years. Only one of his feature films is available now.

After scratching his foot on a nail in his barn, he fell ill. His doctors misdiagnosed the illness, thinking he had kidney stones. He died of tetanus on Christmas day 1928, at the age of 38. He's all but unknown today.

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 14, 2011 8:55 PM

*"Good as Gold" is my favorite of the lot so far. Thanks."* - smileys

I wouldn't have guessed that would be the one. But then, it is one of the few images posted with even the slightest glimpse of a woman's leg.

And 'BronxGirl48' did call "dibs" on the Tom Tyler with the woman in the green bathing suit.

Kyle In Hollywood

Edited by: hlywdkjk on Aug 16, 2011 5:57 PM

*"Thanks for the Fred Thompson poster, Kyle."* - JackFavell

You're welcome. The palette used for that poster is so... surprising. It's like someone was anticipating the day-glo '60s forty years early.

And "Thank You" for the background on Fred Thompson. I am surprised that only one of his films still exists. Or do more exist but only one is available on video?

Kyle In Hollywood

*"Love these western film posters, not a dud in the wagon load!"* - Scottman

I'm pleased you are enjoying them all.

It was quite the endeavor assembling them and just as challenging editting the group down to interesting images to be posted while maintaining the "quality" of the artwork.

The entire series is meant to showcase the artwork and the various cowboy stars for which the posters were created. I put aside a few historically interesting posters because the artwork wasn't all that great.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}*"Thanks for the Fred Thompson poster, Kyle."* - JackFavell

>

> You're welcome. The palette used for that poster is so... surprising. It's like someone was anticipating the day-glo '60s forty years early.

>

> And "Thank You" for the background on Fred Thompson. I am surprised that only one of his films still exists. Or do more exist but only one is available on video?

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

I've found only two Fred Thomson films on video, one only on VHS - *The Love Light*, which is a Mary Pickford film in which Fred is the love interest. I believe this is the movie that made him a star.

*Thundering Hoofs* is a western and Fred's film. During filming, Fred did a dangerous stunt, jumping from a runaway stagecoach to the horses in front - fell and received a compound fracture of his right leg... Yakima Canutt completed the stunt, but Thomson was laid up for weeks after and completion of the picture was delayed.

And I really enjoy the day-glo look of that poster - it's 40 years ahead of it's time!

The artwork on the *Flaming Frontiers* poster is gorgeous! Interesting to show the Native Americans so prominently.

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 18, 2011 9:07 AM

Chief,

The poster for the *Man From Red Gulch* is just wonderful and Harry Carey looks very western in it (when did he not??).

Thank you so much for including it!

I love it!

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}*"The poster for the Man From Red Gulch is just wonderful.... Thank you so much for including it! I love it!"* - lzcutter

>

> You mean you've not yet had your fill of Carey, Sr.?

Not yet! Harry Carey has the most magnetic, interesting face of any of the cowboys we've seen, at least I think so. His face on a poster is enough to make me want to see the movie without knowing a thing about it.

Edited by: JackFavell on Aug 19, 2011 12:50 AM