Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

hlywdkjk

One of my favorites! Where can I buy one of those June Allyson photo ornaments? Unfortunately, I missed her day, business in Fort Worth.

Thanks for more Buster, a shame they don't come in larger sizes. I can only read three of the six captions on the rotogravure . A term I've never heard. Not just a thread of artwork, but educational too!

Saturday, October 8th

film_posterOct08a

*Tarzan The Magnificent* (1960) Italy

-------------------------------

film_posterOct08aa

*Sinbad The Sailor* (1947) France

(Click Through on Above Images to Access Larger Versions)

-----------------------------

Copy of KeatonProject004

Two French Keaton "Stock" Posters

NavigatorTheFREN

*The Navigator*

Copy of Spite-Marriage-d4c42b82

*Spite Marriage* (1929)

Sunday, October 9th

film_posterOct09

*Trapeze* (1963) Italy

(Click Through on Above Image to Access Larger Versions)

--------------------------

Copy of KeatonProject004

Two "Artworks" for *Sherlock, Jr*.

Provenance and Purpose Unknown

Copy of SherlockJrLRG01

Copy of SherlockJrLRG_6sht

*"The Keaton poster looks more like a scene from "The Saphead." Could they have used the same art for multiple films back then?"* - movieman1957

Hi buddy.

I think it would have been very uncommon for a studio/producer to use (or re-use) such specific artwork from one film to promote a different film. In all my years of looking at poster art, I can't think of an instance of seeing that happening. But, like you, I have not seen *The Haunted House*. I haven't seen *The Saphead* either.

Typically, if a studio/producer wasn't creating a "new" poster for a film, it would use a "stock poster" with a portrait or generic scene as the main image and just print the title of the new film in a "blank" area of the poster. (See the French posters posted Saturday.)

B-Movie westerns starring some of the most famous cowboys in the movies often had "stock posters" available on which the title of their most recent film could be added - either by printing directly on the poster or by pasting a paper "snipe" with the title on the poster.

Copy of LashLaRue

Now, I have seen some studio posters using images of actors that seemed to come from different movies rather than the one the film was promoting. Some posters for *The Maltese Falcon* use a "Roy Earle-looking" Bogart rather than a "fedora-wearing Sam Spade" Bogart.

Copy of MalteseFalconThe1941_Insert

Maybe someone that is familiar with both films can shed more light on the image in the poster and whether or not the artwork does depict a scene in *The Haunted House*.

Kyle In Hollywood

> {quote:title=hlywdkjk wrote:}{quote}

> Now, I have seen some studio posters using images of actors that seemed to come from different movies rather than the one the film was promoting. Some posters for *The Maltese Falcon* use a "Roy Earle-looking" Bogart rather than a "fedora-wearing Sam Spade" Bogart.

>

> Kyle In Hollywood

Another good example is the poster (posted on Sept. 28) for THE CONSTANT NYMPH that shows a glamorous Joan Fontaine as she never looked in that movie.

*"Another good example is the poster (posted on Sept. 28) for THE CONSTANT NYMPH that shows a glamorous Joan Fontaine as she never looked in that movie."* - MN

That is a good citation and a good example of a usage that was not uncommon over the years - using generic studio portrait photographs in the poster artwork. I've seen that more than once.

Thanks, MN.

Kyle In Hollywood

*"There is indeed a scene in The Haunted House involving glue and money."* - smileys

Thank you for your info. I was going to write to the one person that I know would have an answer to this conundrum but don't have to now. I trust your expertise.

Kyle In Hollywood

Wednesday, October 12th

film_posterOct12

3-Sheet Poster

(Click Through on Above Image to Access Larger Versions)

---------------------------

Copy of KeatonProject004

CameramanThe1928LRG_SWED

Sweden (Repost)

FreeAndEasy1930

*Free And Easy* (1930) Sweden

*"The German posters are good too. By the way, is that the premiere date on Steamboat Bill, Jr. ?"* - smileys

It could be. I just looked it up and it turns out that in German the word for "November" is November !

I guess the "poster" was made for a particular theater in Germany and it included the opening date of the film in the artwork.

Kyle In Hollywood

Archived