Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Kyle In Hollywood's CENSORED Poster Gallery

*Why would people be reluctant to post?*

FF,

I think by now we all know the saga of the fall-out of the Prop 8 threads. As many of us have tried to stress, it does no good to keep bringing it up.

As for why people are reluctant to post, I think a good example might be what has happened in the Movie Rambles thread. Late on Sunday night, Molo posted a ramble about *How Green Was My Valley* . He looked forward to hearing from others about their thoughts on the film.

Fifteen minutes later at 12:49 am, you posted (or I should say, reposted) a lengthy post about Carmen Miranda's centennial. By your admission this was a repost from one of the other forums. Why the need to post it again in the F&F forum? Much less in the Rambles thread?

It gave the impression of trying to bury Molo's late night post. Luckily, a couple of posters came along and started talking about *HGWMV* but because it was a work day the conversation dwindled and rather than let it be there for others to find when they came home from work or school or their daily lives, you posted a lengthy new post about the Roman Polanski documentary, once again interrupting the flow of the conversation.

You could have started a new thread for the Polanski documentary rather than interrupt the conversation about *HGWMV* . The Polanski docu has been discussed in at least two other forums here so adding another post about it in the Rambles seemed way out of place. I finally bumped the *Valley* back up last night so that it wouldn't get lost.

You did a similar thing a few months ago in the same thread. There were posters participating in a rousing conversation about *The Misfits* and in the middle of it you began posting about director Gus Van Sant.

It gave the effect that you were trying to disrupt a conversation about a film that many were still engaged in.

It is actions like this that make people reluctant to post. The F&F forum isn't as busy as the General Discussion or Hot Topics forum. Not every thread is answered quickly as people take the time to develop their arguments and gather screen caps and images to support their observations. All that takes time and it rankles to have someone come in and change the conversation to different topics before people have a chance to respond. It also makes it hard to get and keep a conversation going if you have to read around the other posts.

I know that you love to talk about films but not everyone is able to be on the boards here as frequently as you. Is it possible that your writings would find a wider, supportive audience at your Fan Community?

Lynn,

If you're going to make an argument about what you think should or shouldn't be posted on a given thread, why would you want to go on to make such a long argument in a thread that was clearly intended to discuss movie posters? I can understand your earlier comment having been made almost in passing, but this time you're going much farther than a "passing comment" when you know full well that Kyle intended this thread to be all about movie posters.

Kyle, I am sorry about this interruption. I truly didn't intend for this thing between Lynn and I to start taking over the thread. Lynn, I'll be more than happy to continue this discussion elsewhere if you wish, so long as it doesn't disrupt an ongoing thread. Thank you for your understanding.

*If you're going to make an argument about what you think should or shouldn't be posted on a given thread, why would you want to go on to make such a long argument in a thread that was clearly intended to discuss movie posters?*

Because you raised the question about why posters would be reluctant to post and that is a question that should be addressed even here in Kyle's thread where he has many lurkers.

Because the conversation is diminished on these boards if some people don't feel comfortable posting here and we are all the lesser for it when that happens.

If Kyle thinks I have behaved badly in his thread I'm sure he will let me know.

Kyle,

For some silly reason, I'd forgotten that I meant to praise your choice for today's poster. Laurence Olivier's version of *Henry V* happens to be one of my favourite Shakeaspeare adaptations, although I saw it much later than Kenneth Brannagh's more recent movie adaptation. They're both quite good, in a way, but I do think Olivier definitely broke new ground and set a very high standard for others to follow when he first adapted it to the screen in the 40's.

To all the recent posters in this thread -

Thanks for all the compliments - and the apologies. But the latter are not necessary. I know a lot of members have some things they would like to get off their chests and I have no problem with this being the forum in which to do it.

So, go for it! Better to let it out than let it fester and grow. 'Cause I believe there is a definite need for a "detox" in this place.

Kyle (kinda bored lately anyway) In Hollywood

Kyle,

I totally appreciate your understanding. While I'm tempted to dive in right now, I think I better wait a couple of days (at least) before addressing the issue in more detail. There is something to what Lynn said that I find really outrageous and if I were to try and put it into words right now, it could come off the wrong way. I don't want to accidentally say something that might upset her. I don't think she meant to say something that would make anyone upset. However if I were to go into more detail I'd have to say certain things that, though perfectly accurate in my view, would nonetheless probably be upsetting to maybe 2-3 people.

Nonetheless, I will say one thing. I could be very wrong about this, but I see a lot of "group think" going on among several "old-timers" that seems to me to be wrong in several key aspects. But "group think" is very dangerous because when a small group of people, who could be as few as 3-5 in this instance, start making certain assumptions and constantly reinforce each others' views, some of it can very easily become something they see as "fact" in spite of it not actually being a fact. As I said before, it's something I could be wrong about, but it just seems to me that too many people are too quick to jump to certain assumptions and sometimes it can come across as either "group think" or something orchestrated.

Helloooooooooooo zookie wookie.

You are quite the historian. So no need for me to recap and re-trace how we got here, becuz you already did so succinctly and accurately.

All rational minds know what's going on in this thread and in other threads. Just use the feature and note the gaps. Then we can see whose responsible. The TCM Web Admin is probably revamping things as we speak.

I don't think there is any "Children of the Damned"/"Village of the Damned" or "The Time Machine" mentality going on here. Funny, you see this in movies all the time, or in psychotherapy sessions:

*Someone stirs things up.

*People respond...getting all riled up.

*Then the --loon-- uh, the person acts all wide-eyed and surprised about folks' reaction.

I think of wily rascals like Eddie Haskell, making with the flattery, wondering why young Beaver...uh Theodore winds up in the coffee cup billboard after he dares the Beave to go inside.

I gotta go consult Freud or Jung about all this. I wonder what they'd make of this Message Board.

(Hey...why are all those group-thinkers blonde)???

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> *Someone stirs things up.

> *People respond...getting all riled up.

> *Then the --loon-- uh, the person acts all wide-eyed and surprised about folks' reaction.

>

CineMaven, I don't think anyone wants to "stir things up". I certainly don't, and I make no such assumption about anyone else on the boards. To assume you know what someone's intentions are about something you haven't even brought up with the person isn't always the best thing.

Actually, I would say _the complete opposite_ is true. There are certain things I wish I could say more openly, but I don't say them precisely because there is a very high probability that it would "stir things up" and probably upset at least a few people. To me, nothing would be better than a forum where everybody's pretty friendly with everyone. I'm trying not to draw conclusions about the actions of certain people, which at least initially came off as pretty mean-spirited.

Peace,

FF

A fine good evening to you, Kyle.

I just want to make a couple points.

1. If a BANNED member has the NERVE to come back on this board under another name, they should be booted off the board IMMEDIATELY. To return to this board in such a manner is an absolute SLAP IN THE FACE of TCMWebAdmin. I find that to be deplorable and a total disregard of the board rules. It's also a SLAP IN THE FACE to ALL OTHER BOARD MEMBERS who are looking to participate on this board in a friendly manner.

There should be ZERO TOLERANCE for banned members returning under a new name.

2. If a current member is DECEIVING the board by posing as a "new member(s)," they should be booted off the board IMMEDIATELY. To actually look to take advantage of the natural kindness and friendly nature of the VAST MAJORITY of this board in such a deceitful manner is beyond DESPICABLE. It is a SLAP IN THE FACE to this ENTIRE BOARD.

There should be ZERO TOLERANCE for such deceitful behavior.

I have not mentioned any member in this post, but if any member is doing the above, they must be BANNED... IMMEDIATELY. This board is not for them. This must be made known, LOUD AND CLEAR.

"To assume you know what someone's intentions are about something you haven't even brought up with the person isn't always the best thing."

See, what you don't know is that I am a mind reader...so I do know.

Message was edited by CineMaven: I just wanted to add that I'm loving the duelling obit posts in the other forum. Go on over there folks...not only do the greats die once, but they die twice.

> {quote:title=CineMaven wrote:}{quote}

> "To assume you know what someone's intentions are about something you haven't even brought up with the person isn't always the best thing."

>

> See, what you don't know is that I am a mind reader...so I do know.

OK, I'll bite. Since you can read minds, please tell me what is the next DVD box set that I'm planning to buy (or have already ordered, as the case may be).

> Message was edited by CineMaven: I just wanted to add that I'm loving the duelling obit posts in the other forum. Go on over there folks...not only do the greats die once, but they die twice.

Would it be possible for you to elaborate on what you mean by "dueling obit posts", please? There is a person who has often posted duplicate information in the thread, but I don't believe he's done that in the last week or so.

I can't predict what the next DVD set you'll buy becuz that is rational thought.

And I was just about to edit my previous post because I posted it before seeing the points that FrankGrimes made. It's the strongest that I've ever read him write so I'll let his post have the last word on this thread. Oh, I do realize you won't allow anyone to have the last word on a thread, but at least he'll have it for a couple of nanoseconds.

Frank Grimes writes:

A fine good evening to you, Kyle.

I just want to make a couple points.

1. If a BANNED member has the NERVE to come back on this board under another name, they should be booted off the board IMMEDIATELY. To return to this board in such a manner is an absolute SLAP IN THE FACE of TCMWebAdmin. I find that to be deplorable and a total disregard of the board rules. It's also a SLAP IN THE FACE to ALL OTHER BOARD MEMBERS who are looking to participate on this board in a friendly manner.

There should be ZERO TOLERANCE for banned members returning under a new name.

2. If a current member is DECEIVING the board by posing as a "new member(s)," they should be booted off the board IMMEDIATELY. To actually look to take advantage of the natural kindness and friendly nature of the VAST MAJORITY of this board in such a deceitful manner is beyond DESPICABLE. It is a SLAP IN THE FACE to this ENTIRE BOARD.

There should be ZERO TOLERANCE for such deceitful behavior.

I have not mentioned any member in this post, but if any member is doing the above, they must be BANNED... IMMEDIATELY. This board is not for them. This must be made known, LOUD AND CLEAR.

*I gotta go consult Freud or Jung about all this. I wonder what they'd make of this Message Board.*

*(Hey...why are all those group-thinkers blonde)???*

We could hold a seance and ask Alfred Hitchcock.

Or we might get Patful to channel Hitch for us. :)