Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shadow of A Doubt 1943 Hitchcock's dark comedy

Just a note on: Shadow of A Doubt 1943 ..SPOILER ALERT ...maybe read this after watching the movie tonight on TCM & Thank You

The dark humor in this film... I love the conversations taking place between Joseph Newton (Henry Travers) who is young  (girl) Charlie's father & Herbie Hawkins (Hume Cronyn) the neighbor who loves crime fiction & crime drama; just like Joseph Newton.

Joseph & Herbie love to talk about how they would murder someone ...what poison to use & how to get away with murder...I really enjoy this banter ... then away we go inside this somewhat of a hint of  sub-plot of murder, although they will not kill anyone it is just talk. It is also Hitchcock dark comedy/humor. I would watch & re-watch  this movie just to see these scenes between Joseph & Herbie.

The dinner scene at the table when Uncle Charlie goes off on what he thinks about women is great. We get a look into the mind & thoughts of a serial killer.

Emma Newton (Patricia Collinge) a sister to Uncle Charlie & mother to young girl Charlie says her brother was injured as a child & was never the same. Maybe a reason why he does what he does. An unanswerable question. 

• Like 1