Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Apolitical Incorrectness or TCM Outroductions

As lime neutralizes acid, in hopes this will counteract the corrosive effect of other threads.

And the same goes with my modified signature line.  Sampling Bias...everywhere I look on here.  I can't be imagining it, not to this copious extent (I'm beginning to think it isn't an inside joke).  One of the tools of the trade I suppose.

;)

As lime neutralizes acid, in hopes this will counteract the corrosive effect of other threads.

The specific "other thread" that is titled like your (which I find funny!),  should have been placed in the chit-chat forum.   Note that if one uses the report feature the mod will likely move that type of thread.    

Anyhow,  looks like Fey and Baldwin as host of The Essentials upset someone.    Hey they weren't playing well known political figures,  just themselves.    Combine that with the showing of Women of the Year,  and I guess some find that toxic.  

Oh well,  we will survive.   

PS:  But if the next guest host for Baldwin is Melissa McCarthy,  then there is a conspiracy underfoot.  

And the same goes with my modified signature line.  Sampling Bias...everywhere I look on here.  I can't be imagining it, not to this copious extent (I'm beginning to think it isn't an inside joke).  One of the tools of the trade I suppose.

;)

I believe that they might be using the Whorfian Hypothesis for programming decisions made at headquarters under the official tutelage of General Jack Ripper, not Tripper, Ripper! Bodily fluids may have to be evaluated to find the most appropriate hosts for gigs from now on or just put the names into a blender and puree for the most bland and banal choices.

I believe that they might be using the Whorfian Hypothesis for programming decisions made at headquarters under the official tutelage of General Jack Ripper, not Tripper, Ripper! Bodily fluids may have to be evaluated to find the most appropriate hosts for gigs from now on or just put the names into a blender and puree for the most bland and banal choices.

Funny but in the sister thread,  the complaint was along the lines of the host not  being 'bland and banal choices'.  

Funny but in the sister thread,  the complaint was along the lines of the host not  being 'bland and banal choices'.  

Gee, don't blame me I missed that thread due to it being expurgated I guess. Isn't that the issue or am I being played here? Did they actually use the exact terms "bland and banal" because since I never saw the original posts I may be channelling them which is rather frightening.

Gee, don't blame me I missed that thread due to it being expurgated I guess. Isn't that the issue or am I being played here? Did they actually use the exact terms "bland and banal" because since I never saw the original posts I may be channelling them which is rather frightening.

To be respectful for the creator of this thread,  I don't wish for it to be political,  but my understanding from the OP of that other thread was that the hosts were too political.

Since movies often have a political POV (mostly subtext but of course there is the message film),  if a host has to discuss a film without mentioning any political angle,   to me that requires one to be mostly bland and banal.    I mean how much can a host say about an actress and her bug eyes.   :lol:

To be respectful for the creator of this thread,  I don't wish for it to be political,  but my understanding from the OP of that other thread was that the hosts were too political.

Since movies often have a political POV (mostly subtext but of course there is the message film),  if a host has to discuss a film without mentioning any political angle,   to me that requires one to be mostly bland and banal.    I mean how much can a host say about an actress and her bug eyes.   :lol:

Which particular "hosts" are we talking about that were "too political"?

The funny thing is, many movies have political or distinct POV's that it would seem are ridiculous to discuss if one is not allowed to even bring up political issues. I mean really, it's like discussing the paintings of Raphael but one is not allowed to mention the word "canvas".

Which particular "hosts" are we talking about that were "too political"?

The funny thing is, many movies have political or distinct POV's that it would seem are ridiculous to discuss if one is not allowed to even bring up political issues. I mean really, it's like discussing the paintings of Raphael but one is not allowed to mention the word "canvas".

The OP in that other thread didn't say,  but it was posted shorty after Tiny Fey and Alex Baldwin hosted The Essentials and showed the film Women of the Year.

The OP in that other thread didn't say,  but it was posted shorty after Tiny Fey and Alex Baldwin hosted The Essentials and showed the film Women of the Year.

I wonder what she said? I do think Fey is very anti-Trump it seems from what I've read but don't lynch me if I've read incorrectly. Was she spouting off political jargon that offended some viewers I wonder?

I wonder what she said? I do think Fey is very anti-Trump it seems from what I've read but don't lynch me if I've read incorrectly. Was she spouting off political jargon that offended some viewers I wonder?

I only caught about half of what was discussed about Women of the Year but it was about the film and how the Kate Hepburn character portrayed a working, go-get-it type women.     I would agree that if a host mentioned current politics that isn't OK,  but if showing a film like WOTY,   a film known for having an ahead-of-its-time view of women in American society,   that should be discussed.       

• Like 2

Okay, now you're just having fun.  I don't see what any of this has to do with hosts. :P

How did you know I was a Three's Company fan.

Okay, now you're just having fun.  I don't see what any of this has to do with hosts. :P

How did you know I was a Three's Company fan.

I knew because you liked my post where I applauded the work of Errol Flynn in the WB epic, Four's a Crowd. By the way, Richard Whorf is not the creator of the Whorfian Hypothesis in spite of the familial surname connection.

I knew because you liked my post where I applauded the work of Errol Flynn in the WB epic, Four's a Crowd. By the way, Richard Whorf is not the creator of the Whorfian Hypothesis in spite of the familial surname connection.

Four's a Crowd an epic?   How can it be an epic without a desert or a massive battle scene?  :lol:

But I like this fun film and Flynn held his own in this comedy with Rosalind Russell (the true comic spark in the film),  and Olivia DeHavilland acting cute and silly.     For those into miniature trains,  this film is a must-see.

Okay, I see that now.  I think I'll watch that movie, it is a somewhat recent recording for me.

I only caught about half of what was discussed about Women of the Year but it was about the film and how the Kate Hepburn character portrayed a working, go-get-it type women.     I would agree that if a host mentioned current politics that isn't OK,  but if showing a film like WOTY,   a film known for having an ahead-of-its-time view of women in American society,   that should be discussed.       

Well,the OP wasn't clear as to the WHAT and WHY of this thread, so I'll just pick up on this area.

Certainly people can discuss the somewhat revolutionary  aspect of a movie like WOTY without appearing to be too political.  I can state something like, "At that point in time, women weren't really taken too seriously as career women and it was thought by many they pursued careers due to the absence of a man in their lives..."  which is NOT really a political comment, just historical fact. 

It's like saying, after a WWII movie, you have some empathy for what the German soldiers were enduring  through the Russian campaign, and it TOO, isn't an endorsement of Nazi policy.

Sepiatone

• Like 1

Four's a Crowd an epic?   How can it be an epic without a desert or a massive battle scene?  :lol:.

...Or without an overture, entr'acte, and exit music... :P

• Like 3