Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE WHISTLER great "B" noir Mon Nov 5

These were very enjoyable although I was a bit disappointed at the ending of "Voice of the Whistler" - it was so good until the ending which just seemed tacked on. You've mentioned one of the films in the series that was not broadcast, I'm curious about your opinion of the other that wasn't broadcast - "The 13th Hour", I understand it was Dix's last film. How does this compare with the rest of the series?

--

Terry Wallace

Terry sez: - "The 13th Hour", I understand it was Dix's last film. How does this compare with the rest of the series?

This is the one WHISTLER film I haven't seen. But coming as it did, in 1947, at the tail end of Dix's career and life, should be interesting to see. Dix really brought a lot to these recurring but unrelated roles; the last couple, MYSTERIOUS INTRUDER in particular, he seemed especially haunted. And you're right about VOICE OF THE WHISTLER; a very strong and disturbing film with an oddly abrupt ending---which was often par for the course for "B" pictures when time and money ran out.

Re THE THIRTEENTH HOUR:

It's from 1947 and is the last film in the series to star Richard Dix. It's Dix's last film as well.

Directed by B meister William Clemens, it's the story of a small trucking company owner (played by Dix), who has just successfully defeated a policeman in a competition for roadside diner owner Karen Morley's affections. The two announce their engagement, the cop and Dix have a quarrel (they've been feuding for some time over Morley), then the cop turns up dead. Did Dix do it? As the Whistler himself might ask, "Will fate be kind to him?" Hey, no spoilers here!

It's not the best film in the series, but it's pretty good and well worth seeing.