Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

THE CHEAT (1931)

blackhangman

I got this one in recently and watched it yesterday. I've been on a "Taloo" kick for the last couple of months, first acquiring DEVIL AND THE DEEP, then TARNISHED LADY and THUNDER BELOW. But this one is the best of the bunch.

Bankhead plays a Long Island socialite with a very loving husband and a very bad gambling habit, who makes the mistake of borrowing ten grand from neighbor Irving Pichel, who has a penchant for things Oriental and a philosophy toward women to match. He definitely has ideas about her, and when she spurns him, he exacts revenge in a gruesome torture scene that has to be seen to be believed! When one reviewer said that the "flesh really sizzles in this one" you could take him literally!

Definitely the type of movie one wouldn't see after 1933, THE CHEAT is a classic and I'd highly recommend it above any of Tallulah Bankhead's other efforts from that period.

I have THE CHEAT but it's a rotten copy so I've never watched it..... I liked Bankhead's early films like DEVIL AND THE DEEP with Charles Laughton, Cary Grant, and Gary Cooper and also FAITHLESS with Robert Montgomery.... can't see why she didn't click in films....

• 8 months later...

Archived