Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

"Pete Kelly's Blues" mystery melody

Does anyone know the name of that beautiful melody that recurs instrumentally throughout "Pete Kelly's Blues"? It's frequently used to underscore romantic scenes between Jack Webb and Janet Leigh, especially when they're dancing together. Melodically I find it a bit reminiscent of "Little White Lies". Some sources seem to indicate it's called "Pete Kelly's Blues Theme". But Ella sings something called "Pete Kelly's Blues" in the film - and it's definitely not the same piece.

I know a great standard called "I Never Knew ". The lyrics begin "I never knew I could love somebody, honey, like I'm loving you..." Judy Garland has a fine 40's recording of it. But this isn't the melody I'm trying to identify in "Pete Kelly's Blues". Maybe there's another "I Never Knew" that I don't know about. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Message was edited by: dogpaddle

That's not the same "I Never Knew". The song is heard on the Decca LP of Pete Kelly's Blues and sung by Peggy Lee. I don't think Lee sang it in the film, but it is underscored by Ray Heindorf in the WB film. Its also played at the time Webb and Leigh were dancing. The main title did have original music composed by Ray Heindorf. Can't remember the title of this music, but I will check the LP.

I have a feeling your identification of the song is absolutely correct. I checked the All Music Guide and Garland's "I Never Knew" has different composer credits. The tune you're talking about seems to be written by Ted Fio Rita and Gus Kahn. And there have been so many recordings of it over the years I'm surprised I never noticed it before. The melody's a beauty - and the words "I never knew" seem to fit nicely into the note sequence I recall. So I think you must be right. Thanks so much.

P.S. Hadn't seen the movie for many years - till I rented it on VHS this week. Found it very enjoyable. Much better than I remembered. Will definitely buy it if it comes out on DVD.