Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Great Guest Programmer Introductions!

Me Too!

I've enjoyed all the ones I've caught and lamented the one's I've missed. I wish TCM could/would recycle these intro's and wrap-ups when the movies are reaired.

TCMPROMGRAMMER -

Is there a reuse issue for these intros?

Thanks,

Yancey

Who is Rose Mcgowan anyway? I guess I'm showing my age. I've never heard of her. I wasnt the bit impressed by her. Though she made some good film choices.......

Message was edited by: Hibi

They have been great for the most part. I like them so much that I'm saving just the interview portions to dvd. So far the film choices have been great and I really look forward to the other programmers. Here's how I rate them:

Whoopi - My favorite so far. It's interesting how her choice of film and identity merge.

Alfred Molina - Most impressive of the programmers so far.

Donald Trump - Least favorite as he didn't give away much. He took a very business attitude to movies in that movies were something he does as a respite from business.

Gore Vidal - Someone to sit down and listen to - Bob seemed a bit intimidated by him. Don't believe I ever heard anyone talk about Olivier in those terms.

Rose McGowan - Infectious enthusiasm and very knowledgable. She has a way of getting to the heart of a film. Wish Bob would have backed down a bit in the "A Place In The Sun" discussion. I guess he couldn't hold back his own enthusiasm for the film.

--

Terry Wallace

"We might put them online ..." - tcmprogrammr

That would fun. I'd like to watch Whoopi Goldberg's "homage" to Fanny Brice once again when she replaced the lines "Nicky Ornstein. Nicky Ornstein" with "Robert Osborne. Robert Osborne" . I think she is/was really smitten with Mr. O.

Kyle In Hollywood

Hello,

I was very disappointed Mr. Vidal didn't show up to introduce the TCM broadcast of Hamlet (1948)(broadcast right after That Hamilton Woman...1941). Particularly, after Gore Vidal said Olivier did a bad job turning Shakespeare's play into a movie. However, I'm glad he picked That Hamilton Woman after noting (in so many words) Laurence Olivier was an idiot. Okay, Gore Vidal did not call Laurence Olivier an idiot...jeez. I think Vidal called Laurence Olivier a simpleton...right? Anyway, I thought it was funny he picked a movie starring the guy he singled out as a moron...no, no, no! Vidal did not call Olivier a moron! I think what Gore Vidal really said was something like...Olivier's understanding of Shakespeare was way too literal...and simple. Whatever...I thought Gore Vidal was great. I like Gore Vidal. I sort of wish TCM would have blown off showing Vidal's movie picks and just let Gore Vidal talk. I think Mr. Vidal really wanted to tell some stories. And, Robert Osborne is the perfect companion for a several hour Gore Vidal talk time.

I liked Gore Vidal's pick of A Midsummer's Nights Dream (1935). I actually paid attention throughout the entire run time of the movie and I was amused at watching Warner Brothers contract players do Shakespeare as a German Expressionism thing. Hee-haw!

Rusty

Terry Wallace -

I thought your analysis of the above subject was "totally cool". However, regarding Donald Trump: How can a man who has fought and somewhat won the battle of wealth open up to the joy of art?

When you are that focused, you miss so much of being human.

Jerry Belief

Thanks for the reply tcmprogrammer.

Too bad they are a one shot deal. They really ought to be repeated from time to time.

Hopefully when the internet can maintain larger format content they'll be able to be seen just like On Demand. Right now the TCM Viewing screen is a little too small for me to enjoy at close range.

Yancey

Yes, everyone has been great so far. Rose McGowan was really wonderful (and I agree with Robert Osborne that she looks a lot like Jane Greer).

You know, you're right (and it is, of course, spelled McGowan. My mistake), though she's got a long way to go to actually being something like Greer (but, then, it's the pictures that got small, to borrow Norma Desmond's phrase).

"We might put them online..." - tcmprogrammr

Don't know if this happened overnight or if they have been there all along but there are 43 of the Guest Programmers intros available for viewing online in the TCM Media Room. Just type "movie intro" into the search box.

Many of the pieces include both the introduction and the post-movie commentary - such as Whoopi Goldberg's "before and after" comments on Funny Girl! (and The Enchanted Cottage) and Gore Vidal comments regarding Laurence Olivier in That Hamilton Woman.

Oddly, there are even clips from Guest Programmers that haven't even been shown yet! So if you want to see what Jack Klugman has to say about 12 Angry Men, you don't have to wait until next Monday. (Does "tcmprogrammr' know about this??????)

Kyle In Hollywood

And, for those of you with the "TCM On Demand" service on your cable system, The Enchanted Cottage is available this week and it includes the Robert Osborne / Whoopi Goldberg commentary! I bet there will be more Guest Programmer selected films offered each week this month. Yippee!

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk to add the "On Demand" info.

jarhfive wrote: "I sort of wish TCM would have blown off showing Vidal's movie picks and just let Gore Vidal talk. I think Mr. Vidal really wanted to tell some stories. And, Robert Osborne is the perfect companion for a several hour Gore Vidal talk time.

Wow, you just said a mouthful. Wouldn't that be great? Maybe they could do a special interview with Robert Osborne, at least have Gore Vidal host an epidose of "The Essentials" focusing on his all time favorite film. Like you, I'd watch it even if they never got around to showing the movie.

I am very disappointed in the guest programmers. While I know that TCM has to attract younger viewers - as a classic (pre-1950) film fan, I have heard of only about a dozen of the guests and am not interested in the opinions of the others.

Why didn't TCM get folks like Ann Rutherford, Mickey Rooney, Kirk Douglas, Ernest Borgnine, Kathryn Grayson, Joan Leslie, Peggy Stewart, etc. to be guest programmers? It would be fun to know what the classic film stars think as their favorite films. The selection should be limited to just one film that the person appeared in but I would be very interested in knowning what films these people think are great or what influence them.

Brand new member here, and great fan of TCM.

I loved the format over the last few years. A great old movie that I couldn't tear myself away from, with a mature, calm and intelligent Robert Osborne in an nice suit at the end-- sometimes to comment-never to challenge.

This morning I saw a guy with a 90's devil goatee interviewing a woman from Washington state that must have been pulled from the bottom of the sea, what with all the silver fish hooks in her face.

Carrie Fisher is very sweet, but not near the figure and presence of Robert Osborne who is just right as a standalone.

The wider audience will come. Let the kids catch on without hooks, if they will, and without gimmicks.

I realize I'm straying from the point of this thread. Old and stuffy should stay old and stuffy. But it really is neither.

I concur. I was not overly impressed by the list of guest programs either, Whoopie and Kermit are about the only ones I know. or even care about. I do love the idea, Would love to see Clint Eastwood picks, or any of the few older actor/actress that are left, how about Lauran Bacall choosing her favorites, and possiblits Boggies favorites or what she thinks he would liked,, That would be interesting..

• 2 weeks later...

I find it perversely satisfying that a blowhard like Alec ?Mouth? Baldwin would ?program? such a pedestrian set of movies that are televised so often. You could throw a dart at this board?s member list and assume a more creative evening of selections. It couldn?t be more obvious that Baldwin has no clue regarding the breadth of TCM?s usual programming.

I found Alec Baldwin to be among the most pretentious and self-conscious Guest Programmers on TCM. It was obvious that he was trying VERY hard to show everyone what a knowledgable and deep-thinking "cinema scholar" he is.....and he failed miserably.

I can't believe that Robert Osborne was able to keep a straight face during some of Baldwin's "insightful" comments....but then, knowing Baldwin's volatile temper, poor Robert was probably afraid to do ANYTHING that could set Baldwin off!