Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hitch_nnw

Who is watching all of Hitchcock on TCM?

I'm curious to know who intends to watch all of the Hitchcock films on TCM  this month. I mean watching all of them live or some time during the month of July.  The scheduling is odd, with some films beginning at 4:00 a.m.  But of course we can and do record.  

I think they are showing 44 films, which is a high percentage of the total.  In my life I have watched all of Hitch's sound films but two (Juno and the Paycock, Waltzes from Vienna), and many I have watched countless times.  But there may be those who are relative novices with Hitchcock who are trying to watch all 44 (or close to it). 

I have been watching all of the Hitchcock films on TCM.  I have been recording the films and them watch two a day.  I certainly love this course however; how do I check to see if there is a reply to this post? 

Just check back.

Are you fairly new to Hitchcock--seeing a lot of films you have not seen before?

I am watching most of them. I believe I caught ALL of the early and early-middle Hitchcock, except for Jamaica Inn (accidentally deleted it from my DVR, oops!). As for late-middle and late Hitchcock, I skipped The Birds, and even though almost everyone on the planet Earth likes Vertigo, it is not one of my favorites in terms of actual plot, despite its wonderful score and colorful cinematography, and I may skip it as well, though right now I have it on my DVR. I might skip Frenzy, too, because it sounds less like a thriller and more like a slasher. But I made a point of catching the rest of them. Come to think of it, Marnie I may also skip because I don't care for how the movie treats rape. (Yes, Sean Connery's character raped Marnie. Marital rape was not a widely accepted legal concept in the 1960s, but it is still what happened.)

So what did I like best? Rebecca, The Lodger, Shadow of a Doubt, both versions of The Man Who Knew Too Much, The Trouble with Harry, and Rear WindowNorth by Northwest, too. (RIP, Martin Landau.) I also thought Ben and Alexandre Philippe were too hard on Number 13, which frankly I enjoyed despite its lower production values. 

Unfortunately, my DVR malfunctioned during the beginning of Psycho, and I missed the first half of the movie. I know I can see the film again sometime, but I really hate that I missed Ben's interview with the director of 78/52, and their discussion of the infamous shower scene. They have been talking about it all week long, and this is that director's project, so I was looking forward to hearing what he had to say.

I don't have a DVR, so unfortunately, I've missed most of them - Though I've seen many of them in years past. I wish they had shown a movie or two every day at 8PM. That would have been perfect. 

I'm watching all of them, but I'm just up to Rebeca, which is a great film. I work long hours, but I do have a dvr.

I've been trying to watch all of them, but my recorder is broken, so its been hard!  Also, I started the course late, so I missed the first week altogether.  Luckily, I got to watch some of the silents and British spy thrillers on "Open Culture."  I'd seen a couple of the early British films, but really enjoyed seeing them again and seeing some others that I had missed.  I have to admit that I don't really enjoy silent movies, but Hitchcock's are better than most that I've seen.  For the rest of Hitchcock's films, I'm lucky enough to have seen all of them in the past, except for "Frenzy."  I've still been trying to see all of them this month so they are fresh in my mind, but I have fallen asleep through a few of them (tried to "schedule" my naps to coincide with films I have on DVD or VHS, but I still missed "Mr. & Mrs. Smith," the first half of "Suspicion," "The Paradine Case," "I Confess," "The Trouble with Harry," "The Wrong Man," "Frenzy," and "Family Plot.")  Missing "Frenzy" and "Family Plot" was intentional -- I don't like gory slasher movies and that is what "Frenzy" sounded like.  Also, I remember that I didn't like "Family Plot."  As for the others, I tried to make sure that I saw the films that would be discussed in the class and as many of the others as humanly possible!  I wish TCM would have put all of the Hitchcock movies on the Movies by Demand channel so I could spread them out over the week!  I did manage to watch a few that I missed (or dozed in the middle of) that way, but not all.  Maybe next time they have a course like this connected to their programming, they will consider spreading them out more over the weeks and/or putting them all "On Demand."

I watched all the TCM offerings, and then a few of the ones on Youtube and the attached list in resources.  Could only watch until 2 and then finish up the next morning.  Basically TCM has done the same basic style of programming for other other two courses and it fits into how they also do "star of the month".  

The "Slapstick" course was at a bad time so I had to ignore that one, but Noir and Hitchcock worked well for me.

I will probably not get to all of the films during the time span of this class, but, I've seen all of Hitchcock's films at least once, except for the silent films.  The silents were a real treat for me.  I generally disdain silent movies, but seeing the beginnings of Alfred Hitchcock's career was a wonderful opportunity.  This class has really opened my mind to the art and genius of the silent film period.

It's wonderful to the see the progression from those silent films, to talkies, to beautiful, lush, wide-screen movies with fabulous stars at the height of Hitchcock's career.

• Like 2