Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Z6xUOnRg_bigger.jpg MarketWatch‏Verified account @MarketWatch 8h8 hours ago

“Dunkirk" epitomizes the debate over the pros and cons of films opening in a theater vs. being streamed by Netflix  Nolan’s cinematic vision in ‘Dunkirk’ is Hollywood’s best defense against Netflix http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nolans-cinematic-vision-in-dunkirk-is-hollywoods-best-defense-against-netflix-2017-07-21?link=sfmw_tw MW-FQ772_Dunkir_20170721120549_ZH.jpg?uu

• Like 1

I have never bought into the Netflix vs. Big Screen argument. Because Netflix is showing films that otherwise wouldn't be shown anywhere. ( When I say Netflix, I mean all the multitude of streaming services out there).

Of course movies are better on the big screen. Most programming is better on a bigger screen. That's why most of us have the biggest television we can afford in our homes. But, as has been stated on this very site quite often, the theaters aren't showing much unless its a superhero, animation or some franchise blockbuster. There certainly aren't many dramas being shown in theaters. 

I feel they both serve a purpose. I think to place them against each other makes things counter productive.

• Like 4

inm00S9s_bigger.jpg Washington Examiner‏Verified account @dcexaminer 2h2 hours ago

"Dunkirk" is an excellent film, but here are two things it missed http://washex.am/2eI0ege  by @TomRtweets

Someone didn't missed one man smiling. Maybe he was glad to find something better than his mother-in-law.

http://entertainment.ie/cinema/news/Watch-One-extra-ruined-the-teaser-trailer-for-Christopher-Nolans-Dunkirk-for-a-lot-of-people/383952.htm

dunkirkok-810x425.jpg

While we're on the subject, please no SPOILERS, I don't want to know how the movie ends. ;):P

Ham, given the lack of attention to history in many school systems today, for some younger people this could be an actual concern.

• Like 1

There are many WWII movies better than Dunkirk. It's merely the current one in the contemporary formats.

I've never been one to care about competition of films. If I go, I'll buy a ticket and watch the film. Either I will like it or not. I won't worry about some other war film I saw long ago, that was then. This is now.

If its the 20th best or 30th best war film, that's still better than most. I don't need there to be a number one or best. Because from day to day , if you ask me my favorite or "best" film in any category. I will probably give you a different answer each time.

• Like 4

I've never been one to care about competition of films. If I go, I'll buy a ticket and watch the film. Either I will like it or not. I won't worry about some other war film I saw long ago, that was then. This is now.

If its the 20th best or 30th best war film, that's still better than most. I don't need there to be a number one or best. Because from day to day , if you ask me my favorite or "best" film in any category. I will probably give you a different answer each time.

But, you KNOW there are people(TOO many IMHO) who like certain movies because everybody ELSE it seems likes them and they feel obligated to like them or else be considered "not cool".

Sepiatone

• Like 1

“Dunkirk" epitomizes the debate over the pros and cons of films opening in a theater vs. being streamed by Netflix  Nolan’s cinematic vision in ‘Dunkirk’ is Hollywood’s best defense against Netflix http://www.marketwatch.com/story/nolans-cinematic-vision-in-dunkirk-is-hollywoods-best-defense-against-netflix-2017-07-21?link=sfmw_tw MW-FQ772_Dunkir_20170721120549_ZH.jpg?uu

TO JAKEHOLMAN, wonder just vhow many so called cinephiles know who that(handle) is? Do  you ever get feedback about it? I certainly do, my childhood hero McQueen's one & only shot at an *Oscar from '66's great "The Sand Pebbles"

Ham, given the lack of attention to history in many school systems today, for some younger people this could be an actual concern.

& along with "PC" all the rest of this increasing garbage I loath when young folks just say something was "Before Their Time"

That's what history is 

Epics such as this must be seen on "The Silver-Screen"

• Like 1

Terrific quotes

There are many WWII movies better than Dunkirk. It's merely the current one in the contemporary formats.

AGREED 100%   Though you can't discount all WW2 flix released within the last 20 to 25 years

I agree all the way that Hollywood had the market cornered on just about everything, but the likes of "Pvt. Ryan" "The Thin Red Line" & of course the all-time great 1993 *Oscar sweeping *"Schindler's List" to name a few

• Like 2

But, you KNOW there are people(TOO many IMHO) who like certain movies because everybody ELSE it seems likes them and they feel obligated to like them or else be considered "not cool".

Sepiatone

I agree on that point , it's like they are already programmed to like or dislike something because the masses say something. Like peer pressure right

• Like 1

To hamradio, you saw it as "PC?" I didn't catch that in it myself

Was referring to the silly statements i.e. "too many white men" within Jake's link, NOT the movie which is not. I clarified my last post.  About my first post, was joking about the ending (like Apollo 13) which I histroically already know the outcome.  Joke is (SPOILERS) don't tell me how it ends, will ruin the movie.

If you have to explain the joke, it's no longer funny.     Jay Leno.

Let's face it.  Flaws or not, it IS the BEST picture so far for 2017  which hasn't had anything of merit since it began in January.  What has been YOUR best picture so far this year?  Don't take too long to think.

T2 Trainspotting and Logan are the best that I've seen, but I still only rank them a B+. I haven't seen several of the higher rated films yet, though, such as Wonder WomanThe Big Sick, or Dunkirk.