Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

~*~Classic Film 21 Questions~*~

most definitely *right*, 6more... Congratulations! Now it's your turn!

I sorta figured that last clue would do it.. but responses had been so few I figured I had to give an easy clue.

If there are any questions about the clues, just post and I'll explain. As for the cigar, Alexander Gromeko smokes "the last cigar in Moscow".

good job ike veil, sugar, and plank did they mention sugar in the movie since it is saccharrin(msp) in the book it has been awhile since I've seen Zhivago don't recall the veil part and did you mean the plank of wood Zhivago was collecting to burn? thanks for the expaination for cinemadummies like me. I get the other clues once I knew the name of the movie.....goood job ike

thanks, GWTW. Yes, the plank referred to the planks of wood Zhivago pulls from a fence for firewood, which his half-brother sees and saves him from arrest. And yes, in the movie it is sugar that Komorovsky brings to Lara and her daughter, but which Zhivago refuses. Steiger tripping down the stairs, screaming in anger, sugar flying everywhere is one of innumerable great visuals in the movie. The veil also involves Kmorovsky and Lara, but early in the film, when he wraps it around her head and neck in a workroom of her mother's shop. A sensuous and telling scene, which foretells their coming relationship.

As you might guess, I love this film. In fact, it is my all time favorite. That doesn't mean it's the best film ever (I'd give that title to Casablanca personally), but the combination of its great qualities and the place it has had in my own life make it my favorite. I lost count after I had viewed it some 20 times years ago.

Thanks for the info I forgot about that scene with the sugar it is playing in my mind right now it is very powerful. I like Dr. Zhivago also it is a beautiful tragic movie. I have posted this before but you are new and you know I didn't know that was Rod Steiger playing the role he played. I had seen In the Heat of the Night long before Zhivago but never put two and two together until a few times seeing Zhivago and it may have been on a block of Steiger movies-what a talent he was.

Your comments bring back memories, GWTW... One of Steiger's greatest movies [i think... see below] was The Pawnbroker. I saw this movie when it first came out (mid to late '60's) with a girl I was in love with at the time. The film was so disturbing, so powerful, that when the movie ended, we left the theatre and did not speak a word for an incredible length of time, perhaps 15 to 30 minutes. I have not been able to bring myself to watch the movie since, thus, given my lousy memory, my uncertainty about how good the movie was. I do know that back then, in my youth, I thought it was a great movie.

Between that and Dr. Zhivago, I have always had great respect for Steiger. He is simply perfect as Komorovsky. In fact, I can't conceive of better casting that Steiger, Sharif, and Christie in their respective roles. Although their roles are less central, so harder to evaluate so absolutely, the same probably goes for Guinness, Chaplin, and Courtenay. I guess all the best movies of all time have perfect casting.

wow.. can't believe I got it. Guess that means I have to come up with the next one. I'll need a bit of time to think of a movie I can do well enough. Will post soon as I have decided. Thanks for the last one, 6.