Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The earliest movie ever made...

anchoredsoul18

I am 15 and my mother and i have been having this ongoing fight for about 2 years now about the earliest movie (or clip) ever made. Now, you know that special silent Christmas clip show thing that TCM shows the sunday before or after christmas that has lots of different really short movies? I watched that same thing 2 years in a row. i attempted to tape it but it got messed up. I could have sworn that i saw a clip that said it was from the late 1800's...like 1897 or something. My mother doesnt believe me. I tried to tape it to prove it to her, but like i said, it got messed up. Can anyone please tell me if what i saw was correct and maybe give some detail about it? i'd really appreciate it. I dont want to wait till its on again to prove it to her...but if i have to, i will! - sam

I believe you are referring to the ?100 Years at the Movies? that TCM shows periodically with many clips from some of the very best films ever made.

The Frenchman Louis Lumiere is often the man credited as inventing the first motion picture camera in 1895. By 1900 European and American inventors began producing ?one-reelers? and among the very first ?one-reelers? was that of Frenchman, Georges Melies: his 1902 film La Voyage Dans La Lune (A trip to the moon) is probably the film that is shown in TCM?s ?100 Years at the Movies?. You know the film: it?s the one with an animated human face of the moon getting hit in the eye by a rocket, as well as the women in flowing dresses running across the screen. I cannot remember if there are other very early one-reelers shown in the featurette, but I?m almost certain that La Voyage Dans La Lune is one of the ones shown.

It is not exactly easy to say what the "earliest movie ever made was" because there were several many different inventors exploring the new technology in the late 1800s. The Lumiere brothers work wasn't that of make believe, but rather documentary: simply capturing the images of trains arriving in stations or workers leaving the factory (remember, ANY moving image was breathtaking in those early days!!!) Soon after, however, filmmakers began to try new things, especially in developing stories to put on film. That is where Geroges Melies stands out, as he produced films with a story, as opposed to just "actualities", and it is my personal opinion that Melies should be credited with procuding the first motion pictures as we know them now: ones that tell stories. However, American projectionist Edwin Porter produced "The Great Train Robbery" in 1903, and most people credit HIM with establishing movies as an entertainment medium.

Sorry about the rambling-- I'm just a sucker for movie history!! :)

I remember hearing that the short film titled "The Kiss" was the earliest film ever made. It is simply a man and a woman kissing, and doesn't look like much, but I'm almost sure it was from the late 1800's, and in some documentary that I was watching, they credited it as the earliest film ever made. But, I could be wrong - just thought I'd throw it out there.

• 1 month later...

> Ah La voyage dans la lune makes me happy, There was a

> smashing pumpkins music video about that movie... the

> movie is of course much better....

The video is "Tonight Tonight," directed by Jonathan Dayton and Valerie Faris in 1996, which is very affectionately made in homage to the original film. Dig the name of the ship in the vid: the "S.S. Melies."