Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAMOUS MOVIE QUOTES

"Wouldn't this be a great world if desperation and insecurity made us more attractive?"

Who? To whom? Context?

Hey! What is this, Albert Brooks month? The last question on this thread also involved him.

The above quote is by Albert Brooks. He says it to Holly Hunter. On the telephone. The film is "Broadcast News" (1987).

Cheers,

Dan

Tag. You're It.

Okay, try this one:

"You know, it doesn't make any difference how many people you talk to during the day. If you haven't got someone that really cares for you, you're all alone. You're one person against the world. Unless you have someone - then it's only half as hard. Least you're two against the world."

Who said it, to whom, and in what movie?

Cheers,

Dan

No replies yet? Okay, here is another clue.

The movie in question is from Hollywood's Golden Age -- from 1930 to 1960.

*"You know, it doesn't make any difference how many people you talk to during the day. If you haven't got someone that really cares for you, you're all alone. You're one person against the world. Unless you have someone - then it's only half as hard. Least you're two against the world."*

Cheers,

Dan

wild guess "They Live by Night" '48?

A wild guess, yes, but at least you were thinking. The somewhat desperate tone of the quote does seem to fit the two fugitives in "They Live by Night." But that's not the right movie.

Here's another clue to the title of the movie in question:

One of the actors in this film was nominated for the Academy Award for it, but lost. Two years later, he was nominated again -- for another movie with the same leading lady -- and he WON.

*"You know, it doesn't make any difference how many people you talk to during the day. If you haven't got someone that really cares for you, you're all alone. You're one person against the world. Unless you have someone - then it's only half as hard. Least you're two against the world."*

Cheers,

Dan

rv21 wrote:

Sounds like something I heard in Cat People...

"Cat People" (1942) was a horror film. I can tell you confidently that the film in question is NOT a horror film, although a few alarming things happen in it, as they do in ALL good films.

The dialogue in the quote is meant in romantic terms, not anything otherworldly.

To repeat:

Who said that, to whom, and in what movie?

Cheers,

Dan

No new replies, so I'll add a new clue.

One of the actors in the movie in question was nominated for the Oscar award for it. He didn't win, but two years later he was nominated again, for a second movie with the same leading lady... and he WON!!

Here's the quote again:

"You know, it doesn't make any difference how many people you talk to during the day. If you haven't got someone that really cares for you, you're all alone. You're one person against the world. Unless you have someone - then it's only half as hard. Least you're two against the world."

Who said that, to whom, and in what movie?

Cheers,

Dan

YESS!!!

Whoever said it was "The Devil and Miss Jones" (1941) is correct!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner. The question was up for so long, I drifted away and didn't even check the board for a couple days.

By the way, the speaker of the quote was Jean Arthur.

Cheers,

Dan

Yay! May I start another round?

"The trouble with kids is they always figure they're smarter than their parents - never stop to think if their old man could get by for 50 years and feed 'em and clothe 'em - he maybe had something up here to get by with - things that seem like brain twisters to you might be very simple for him."

Oh you got it! That's it. My clue was going to be that the person who said it (William Demarest) was in The Jazz Singer , and also won his only academy award for a movie about Jolson. So much for getting to the clue.....

This seems familiar, and I can't get past the impression that Tennessee Williams is involved.

Would like a further hint; Is the context either Summer And Smoke or Suddenly, Last

Summer?