Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAMOUS MOVIE QUOTES

Courtney Gains as 'Ken Wurman' in *Can't Buy Me Love* '87

If correct, then try:

"I'm a man in search of his true self. How archetypically American can you get? We're all trying to fulfill ourselves, understand ourselves, get in touch with ourselves, face the reality of ourselves, explore ourselves, expand ourselves. Ever since we dispensed with God we've got nothing but ourselves to explain this meaningless horror of life. "

No tries? Okay, maybe too long?

Anyway, it was William Hurt as 'Ed Jessup' in *Altered States* '80

For July 4th, try:

"I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! " ?

> "I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is called a disgrace; that two are called a law firm, and that three or more become a Congress! " ?

William Daniels as John Adams in 1776

good 'nuff?

Here's one.

"Maybe cowards and heros are just ordinary men who just for a split second did something out

of the ordinary." Said by whom, in what context?

Enjoy the holiday. :)

Okay JackF, we don't want to make you crazy

It was from 1934's *Cat's Paw*, as mayor Harold Lloyd quotes his favorite Chinese philosopher to justify appointing a corrupt Chief of Police.

Hint: this will be aired soon on TCM...

"Mathematics! I see mathematics! She's got my ears! She's got my ears! She's got my ears! "

I'm guessing Jackie Gleason, in "Skidoo" (1968). And if TCM is planning to air this dog in the near future, shame on them. A worse comedy has never been made.

Incidentally, "Skidoo" was Groucho Marx' last film. An inglorious exit for a glorious talent.

Does ANYBODY like this picture?

Cheers,

Dan

> {quote:title=daneldorado wrote:}{quote}

> Hint: this will be aired soon on TCM...

>

> "Mathematics! I see mathematics! She's got my ears! She's got my ears! She's got my ears! "

> I'm guessing Jackie Gleason, in "Skidoo" (1968). And if TCM is planning to air this dog in the near future, shame on them. A worse comedy has never been made.

> Incidentally, "Skidoo" was Groucho Marx' last film. An inglorious exit for a glorious talent.

> Does ANYBODY like this picture?

> Cheers,

> Dan

From the info provided by Dan, I traced it down and confirmed: 1968's Skidoo, and the quote is from a character played by The Great One.

Dan's up.

Yes, dan, you're right , of course.

And yes, TCM will re-air on Underground, on Fri., 6-11.

For anyone who wishes to catch Otto Preminger's (after 1 too many LSD trips) take on the counterculture vs. the mafia comedy? with Groucho Marx (as'God'), Jackie Gleason, Micky Rooney, Carol Channing (in her underwear?), Peter Lawford and Frankie Avalon.

Haven't seen it myself, but after reading reaction after 1st airing, will try to catch it.

More info here: http://www.tcm.com/2008/underground/movies/index/?cid=181189

Robin Williams in The World According To Garp ??

cmvgor, aka wildshot

Hiya, wildshot... Sorry, no, that isn't it.

New hint: The movie in question was released in the 1940s. Apparently, "banned in Boston" meant that the book was considered too spicy for Beantown then. They couldn't know how liberal Boston would become, in later years.

Cheers,

Dan

Irene Dunne in Theodora Goes Wild?

Sorry, no. In "Theodora..." Irene Dunne plays a small-town lady who writes a book considered scandalous by some prudes, but that isn't the one that was "banned in Boston."

Also, it isn't "She Wrote the Book" (1946), which had a very similar plot. Small-town lady, sexy book, etc.

So here's my next clue:

The person who said the quote is a male. Another clue is this: This actor appeared in more than 100 movies over a 30-year film career.

Cheers,

Dan

This quote is too good, I can't just let it fall by the wayside.

"At last! I've arrived! I am a success! My book has been banned in Boston!"

Who said that, and in what movie?

I've already said that the person who speaks the quote is an actor who appeared in more than 100 movies over a 30-year career.

How about if I add:

The film in question is a musical.

Who is it, and in what film did he say it?

Cheers,

Dan