Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAMOUS MOVIE QUOTES

one of the versions of 'Stella Dallas' ?

(too easy, right?)

still clue fishing....

No, not Stella Dallas.

Here's a new clue: I've said that the two romantic leads in the film in question were once husband and wife in real life. Well, they both appeared in silent cinema before moving into talkies -- with great success, I might add.

The quote, again:

"She's a super woman. You don't appreciate her. She's the only honest woman I've ever met. There's nothing of a hypocrite about Miss D. That's more than you can say about the men she comes in contact with."

Who said that, and in what film?

Cheers,

Dan

I "think" Miss D is Dorothy Dandridge, but don't know to what actor she was married ???

No, not Dorothy Dandridge.

Here's an additional clue: The "D" has an avian reference.

Once again, here is the quote:

*"She's a super woman. You don't appreciate her. She's the only honest woman I've ever met. There's nothing of a hypocrite about Miss D. That's more than you can say about the men she comes in contact with."*

Who said that, and in what film?

Oh, and I also said that the two romantic leads were married to each other in real life. Also that both of them worked in the silent cinema before making it big in talkies.

Cheers,

Dan

This "Famous Movie Quote" has been on the board now for one week. Apparently it's not as "famous" as I thought.

Okay, that's time enough. The quote:

"She's a super woman. You don't appreciate her. She's the only honest woman I've ever met. There's nothing of a hypocrite about Miss D. That's more than you can say about the men she comes in contact with."

is from the 1933 picture "Female," starring Ruth Chatterton as the president of a major automobile company. It is spoken by Ferdinand Gottschalk, as Miss Chatterton's assistant, to a member of the staff.

The romantic leads in the film -- Ruth Chatterton and George Brent -- were married to each other in real life.

Guess I'll take a break from these Trivia games. I still have a couple of questions up, but now I'll sit back and see what you other guys can come up with.

Cheers,

Dan

Okay, to get moving again...

The last quote was from *Hombre* ('67) spoken by Paul Newman as 'John Russell'.

How about this one:

" I see that, in addition to your other charms, you have that insolence generated by an inferior upbringing. "

--spoken by whom, to whom, what film?

How about this one:

" I see that, in addition to your other charms, you have that insolence generated by an inferior upbringing. "

--spoken by whom, to whom, what film?

hint: well-known female ensemble movie

> {quote:title=mr6666 wrote:}{quote}

> How about this one:

> " I see that, in addition to your other charms, you have that insolence generated by an inferior upbringing. "

>

> --spoken by whom, to whom, what film?

>

> hint: well-known female ensemble movie

I'll take a stab at that one: Was it by Kate Hepburn to Ginger Rogers in Stage Door?

Thanks. Here's one you might remember:

"Hey sailor! You call THESE legs bowlegs?"

Who said that, to whom, and in what film?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I offer the following hints:

1. The film is not a feature, it is a short film. However, two of the stars are well known, even to contemporary audiences.

2. The "sailor" in the above quote is a world-famous actor.

Who? Whom? What?

Cheers,

Dan

dan, it's been 3 days....want to give answer, or more clues?

Hiya sixes... Don't wanna give the answer just yet. This is a good one, and although the film in question is a short rather than a feature, I think most of the good folks on this board have seen it on TCM.

It's the story of two U.S. sailors, at a bar where they drink and heckle the entertainment. As I've said, one of the sailors is played by a world-famous star, very successful. The other sailor is played by an actor who was in one of the greatest musical films ever made.

Here is the quote, again:

Cheers,

Dan

how about James Cagney in "Calling All Girls" ('42) w/Ruby Keeler?

(yes, just a guess)

That's a nice guess, sixes. I didn't even know that short existed. Per the IMDb, it appears to be a short compilation of Warner Bros. musical numbers.

But it doesn't contain the quote I asked about.

Here it is again:

Extra hints are: The "sailor" in the quote is played by one of the most famous and popular movie stars of all time. His Navy buddy is played by a guy who would later perform in one of the greatest musical films ever made.

The scenario is this:

Two U.S. sailors are in a sleazy dive, having their drinks and heckling the entertainers on stage. At one point, one sailor says the singer is "some bow-legged dame." Whereupon, she (the singer) stops her act and lifts her skirt, a little, and asks the above quote.

Again: Who said the quote, to whom, and in what film?

Cheers,

Dan

Uh-oh. No replies for almost three days. Don't you guys wanna play any more?

Here's the quote again, and I've added a new clue.

Extra hints are: The "sailor" in the quote is played by one of the most famous and popular movie stars of all time. His Navy buddy is played by a guy who would later perform in one of the greatest musical films ever made.

The scenario is this:

Two U.S. sailors are in a sleazy dive, having their drinks and heckling the entertainers on stage. At one point, one sailor says the singer is "some bow-legged dame." Whereupon, she (the singer) stops her act and lifts her skirt, a little, and asks the above quote.

And here is your new clue: The "sailor" who does the heckling was born in the UK, but made most of his movies in the U.S.A.

Again: Who said the quote, to whom, and in what film?

Cheers,

Dan

Well, it's been over a week and no one has come up with the answer... or, for that matter, replied very often.

So I'm pulling the plug on my "famous movie quotes" question.

Anyone with a good movie quote to post, go right ahead.

Cheers,

Dan