Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FAMOUS MOVIE QUOTES

Negative re *Field*. Actually a coming-of-age story, and the other sports focus is on competitive

swimming. To place the story in time, the JFK assassination is referred to in news reports.

> "I try not to get involved with women when the World Series is about to start. But for you, I'd like

> to make an exception."

Its been long enough. That speech was from Bob Hoskins to Cher in *Mermaids*.

Another:

"There's a difference, you know, between not liking one's brother and not caring when some dumb

Irish flatfoot drops him out of a window."

Proceeding:

This entry is not character dialogue, but a voice-over that accompanies the opening credits of a movie (early 70s). (10,522)

...And he took Him to a high place, and showed Him all the Kingdoms of the world, and said unto Him, "All this is Yours if You will but bow down and worship me." And He answered, saying,

"Its a deal!"

What production?

I've enjoyed about as much of this as I can stand.

*Hammersmith Is Out* (1972) marked the last time that Richard Burton and Elizabeth Taylor worked together. This project reunited them with their *Comedians* co-star Peter Ustinov,

who directed and played the role listed as "Doctor". Burton played Hammersmith, a dangerous

but brilliant psycho. In keeping with the Faustian theme expressed in the opening voice-over,

Burton talks the nut-ward orderly (Beau Bridges) into helping him escape -- promising him great

riches for doing so. Bridges agrees, on the condition that his girlfriend (waitress Elizabeth Taylor)

be allowed to come along. Emagine the consequences. I saw it on network TV in the late 70s. As of now, no copy of any description seems to be available. Amazon will only make an offer to let one register a request to be informed if'/when it is ever broadcast.

I'll post another quote in a few hours, if no one else has done so first.

well, that's as good as leaving it open. I've got a great quote.

"We must remember that art is art. Still, water is water. And east is east. And West is west. And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh, now you tell me what you know."

speaker and film?

> "We must remember that art is art. Still, water is water. And east is east. And West is west. And if you take cranberries and stew them like applesauce it tastes much more like prunes than rhubarb does. Now, uh, now you tell me what you know."

>

> speaker and film?

...Groucho as Captain Spalding in *Animal Crackers*.

Another; two women discus the married lover of one of them. The other says:

"You can always tell. He didn't want to spend money on you anyway. He'd get you take-out

Chinese and then tell you about the scuba-diving equipment he bought for himself. Men are such strange creatures anyway. They're just like boys. Its just like in the sandbox. Only then they

wanted to pull your panties down in public!"

Who? To whom? Context?

Two women discus the married lover of one of them. The other says:

>

> "You can always tell. He didn't want to spend money on you anyway. He'd get you take-out

> Chinese and then tell you about the scuba-diving equipment he bought for himself. Men are such strange creatures anyway. They're just like boys. Its just like in the sandbox. Only then they

> wanted to pull your panties down in public!"

>

> Who? To whom? Context?

...It's from an early 90s movie set in England, but with American stars in some of the central roles.

The two women in this conversation are Americans.

>

> "You can always tell. He didn't want to spend money on you anyway. He'd get you take-out

> Chinese and then tell you about the scuba-diving equipment he bought for himself. Men are such strange creatures anyway. They're just like boys. Its just like in the sandbox. Only then they wanted to pull your panties down in public!"

>

> Who? To whom? Context?

I've rather enjoyed that one.

...That was Andie McDowell imparting wisdom to Lolita Davidovich in *The Object Of Beauty* (1991).

Another:

"Don't underestimate the mentally ill. We know how to count."

Who? To whom? Title?

"Don't underestimate the mentally ill. We know how to count."

After some 34 views;

...Same film, same person speaking, another unique line

"Clean and grout my bathroom. That's a call and a raise. Got it?"

:

Sixes;

Affermative with MSM as "Joon". I've enjoyed this one also. The first quote was in an argument with her brother Benny (Adian Quinn). The second quote came in a poker game among people who did not have disposable income to use for gambling. They showed up for a game with items one might bring to neighborhood swap meet. They antied up with items such as "box of 30-06 ammo, one round missing", "salad shooter", "soap-on-a-rope, slightly used", etc. With the ribbon clerks folded and only whales left, Joon (holding three tens) did her call and raise about a re-do

of her bathroom. This led to the bet that gave a major advance to the movie's plot: Provide room and board for my doofus cousin Sam (Johnny Depp). The other player held a better hand, and the plot was off and running. The whole tone of this story relied on having people who could cope with whimsy, and that poker game fit into that pattern.

Your thread.