Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mr6666

FAMOUS MOVIE QUOTES

I don't own it, so I am just throwing it out there. "Hitch"?

I don't own it, so I am just throwing it out there. "Hitch"?

No, not the Will Smith movie.

But you are correct in thinking it is a film made in this century.

Cheers,

Dan

Okay, now this is killing me because and correct me if I am wrong, I can almost see the scenes,but I can't place it.

The second time the lead says that line it is in reference to the way the villian ( well really a jerk) treats women, right? It something like the protaganist reels off list of things that the jerk thinks is the way to treat women and the jerky guy thinks like they are a list of virtues right, and actually is a list of why the guy is going to end up screwing up all his relationships, right.

Where as the first time it is said to another character, it is a list of of characteristic that the supporting character doesn't see as virtues, because he is kinda down on himself as a guy who can't find a sticking relationship. . . yes/no?

Shallow Hal? Arrrgggghhhhhh

The Wedding Singer ? (I feel good about this guess)

No, not "The Wedding Singer" (1998).

As I said in an earlier hint, the film in question was released in this century. So the Adam Sandler movie would not qualify.

Here is the quote again:

"That's what makes you that guy."

The question is: What movie is that quote from, and who says it to whom? And as an extra clue, I said that the line appears in the dialogue TWICE. The first time, it is said by a supporting character to the lead. The second time, the leading man says it to the supporting character. And it is a key phrase.

Here's another clue: The film in question is a sequel to a very high-grossing hit from the 20th century.

Cheers,

Dan

http://www.silentfilmguide.com

Daneldorado, Any more clues, or try offering a new quote?

You guys surely must know this one. The film is "Live Free or Die Hard" (2007), and it's the third and best sequel to the magnificent original, "Die Hard" from 1988.

In LFODH, the older, crustier John McClane (Bruce Willis) is driving a young computer hacker, Matt Farrell (the 26-year-old Justin Long) to FBI headquarters when they are ambushed by the forces of a master criminal, and McClane does his usual heroic thing, killing dozens of thugs and getting away.

Afterward, in the car, young Farrell marvels at McClane's heroism and prowess. McClane cynically replies that he's no hero. "I'm not that guy," he insists. "I just do what I have to do."

Insightfully, Farrell replies, "That's what makes you that guy."

About an hour later, at the very end of the movie, the two men are trapped in a warehouse and McClane almost loses his life disposing of most of the bad guys. But one villain remains... and he's got a gun to the head of McClane's own daughter, Lucy.

Gunshots ring out. And it's Matt Farrell, the young computer geek who has never before handled a firearm, who shoots down the last bad guy and saves Lucy McClane.

The cavalry arrives, our heroes' wounds are patched up, and in the final scene McClane says to Farrell:

"Thanks for saving my daughter's life."

Farrell, shrugging and smiling, says, "Hey, what else could I do?"

McClane answers with Farrell's earlier line: "That's what makes you that guy."

Be good, kids. I'll see you again one of these days.

Cheers,

Dan

How about this one: " Poverty and slavery have stood up for centuries to your sermons and leading articles. They won't stand up to my machine guns. Don't preach at them. Don't reason with them. Kill them." ?

No guesses? Try this one:

"Shorty! Shorty, get me that fight from Quinn. I want money. Do you understand? Money, money!

I forbid, I forbid. Better buy a gun and shoot yourself. You need money to buy a gun."

(Clue: conversation between mother and son)

Message was edited by: mr6666

"Shorty! Shorty, get me that fight from Quinn. I want money. Do you understand? Money, money!

I forbid, I forbid. Better buy a gun and shoot yourself. You need money to buy a gun."

(Clue: conversation between mother and son)

**Sorry, this isn't posting correctly. Will try again later

Message was edited by: mr6666

"Shorty! Shorty, get me that fight from Quinn. I want money. Do you understand? Money, money!" (Clue: conversation between mother and son)

My guess is John Garfield, from "Body and Soul" (1947). But are you sure he was talking to his mother (played by Anne Revere)?

The previous quote is from "Major Barbara" (1941). I believe it was spoken by Robert Morley.

Cheers,

Dan

Welcome back daneld! It is "Body & Soul" AND "Major Barbara". As for B&S, my entire post didn't copy, but the rest of the conversation was with his mom. Going something like if all he wants is money from prizefighting, she'd rather he bought a gun and shoot himself. He replies, "It takes money to buy a gun."

Good Job!! (wish you'd tell me your sources someday) Your turn to offer a new quote--mr

You guys should know this one. I've checked the IMDb and Google, and I do NOT find this quote listed there, so I'm pretty sure it is unique. (Never been in any other movie.)

"He was trying to swallow a whole cow!"

Who said that, and in what movie?

Hint: It is a film of fairly recent vintage, though not 21st century.

Cheers,

Dan

I don't know the movie, but I'd be ecstatic if my college students could do that :)

"i don't know the movie" is incorrect.

just seeing if you're paying attention.

the lead in this movie starts this zen-like chant

more than once.

norbell

"one times one is one...."

the lead says this more than once as a mantra.

florida.

norbell

norbell, are you sure about that quote?

Because I know of a film where the actor says "One and one is two, two and two is four," and says it more than once.

Are you sure?

Cheers,

Dan

hey dan

i'm pretty sure. but, for the first time in quite a while,

i quoted from memory. i don't own this film to check.

i'll probably need another day to confirm this 'tho.

again, i believe this character is running through

the multiplication tables (as in the book), not adding.

norbell