Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If You Were Alone on a Desert Island. . .

littletramplover

(Classicsfan: hee, hee: I did actually forget about this one :) )

Well, if I were alone on a desert island, the one movie that I would want with me above anything else would actually be "Gone With the Wind". For many reasons. No matter what your thoughts on this film are, for me, this was one of the first old films I can remember ever watching-- I was ten years old and this STILL remains my favorite film. My family and I have watched it together at LEAST once a year for as far back as I can remember. I know nearly every line by heart, and have watched it over and over and over again. (and isn't it funny how movies can mean different things to you at different ages.)

This film means a lot to me; it makes me laugh and cry, makes me angry and makes me happy. There's a lot of personal nostalgia for me with it, and if I had this film on a desert island alone, it would make me feel closer to home than anything else probably could.

I would also have to say that if I was looking to have what I consider to be pure entertainment, I'd want to have a musical like "Till The Clouds Roll By" with me. I never tire of watching/listening to this movie. I've always loved Jerome Kern's music, and this movie is filled with it, along with a very large cast of people who could sing and dance.

TCM showed it the other morning, and if they ever do again I will tape it, because of this: It went to 'public domain' and horribly inferior copies went on the market as a result. I have the DVD, and it's a bad reproduction.

Another point in common classics...I love jerome Kern's music above all things....just as much as Cole Porter's...

And that bad DVD transfer of "Till the Clouds..", would it be by any chance the Madacy edition??...'cos I have dvd's and VHS of that Company...and they're horrible...but very cheap!!!

But you know, classics...Lena has always been a favorite of mine...so classy, elegant, beautiful, with a great voice....but Ava's own voice was OK...I don't know why they made the decision of dubbing her voice...I saw That's Entertainment III, and there they compared the dubbed version of the singing parts of Showboat with the ones with Ava's voice, and frankly I preferred the latter....it's a mystery for me why they made that decision...Ava was great in the picture...and Lena would have been too...

My favorite Kern tunes are: The way you look tonight, all the things you are and I won't dance....

I also saw the same "That's Entertainment" segment, and agree with you. Ava's voice wasn't all that bad! They could have used it.

And, we have almost identical taste in Kern's music. In addition to the songs you cited, I also love "Long Ago and Far Away", and "Make Believe" from Show Boat. Wouldn't it have been something to have seen Kern on Broadway?

Oh yes! I love Cole Porter and Irving Berlin, too. This is the music I grew up listening to, and I love it to this day.

Tell me....as Bio-pics go, what do you think of "Deep In My Heart", re. Sigmund Romberg's life and especially his music? I'm not a fan of Jose Ferrer, but I love much of Romberg's music.

Sadly...heard a lot about, but not seen "Deep in My Heart"...as for Romberg...I can say, I have this odd inclination for operettas (MacDonald, Moore, Chevalier, Eddy, Victor Herbert, etc..) considering that I was born in the sixties and grew up in the 70s and 80s...but I love that music..I love "Will You Remember?"....and "Maytime" is my fave MacDonald-Eddy flick

I've always liked Kern's "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes." One of my favorite composers is Richard Rodgers. I love "Isn't It Romantic?" and the film LOVE ME TONIGHT. Too bad LOVE ME TONIGHT was cut in the 1940s re-release and those cut scenes were lost. The MacDonald/Eddy film I like most is ROSE MARIE. Very funny, dramatic, and good music. I also like MAYTIME. MAYTIME is long, but parts of it are very good. Two of my favorite films are THE GHOST AND MRS. MUIR and WIZARD OF OZ.

I'm fairly sure that if you like Kern's music, you would also like Romberg. I'm particularly fond of "When I Grow Too Old To Dream".

I love operetta's and have a large Reader's Digest set of CD's...just music from operetta's.

And, just so you'll know...I was born in 1942, so music of the 40's got me all the way Rock and Roll as I entered high school.

What Catcarson says about Love Me Tonight it's true...it's a shame we lost those parts of the film forever!!!...

I'd forgotten about Smoke Gets in your eyes and Yesterdays...they're great!!!....

Another great Operetta is "The Merry Widow", also "The Smiling Lieutenant".... I also like very much Jeanette's "Smilin' Thru"....beautiful story....

I'll keep looking for Romberg's music classics!!

Ok...it's nice chatting with you, classics...By the way "The Desert Song" has been filmed three times, 1929,194.., and 1953...the first version, an eraly talkie had Myrna Loy....as a sort of temptress!!

You know it's not easy to find people, who like these old classic films, classicsfan...it's hard, most people my age (i was born 1967), are mostly into late 60s, 70s, 80s, films...which doesn't mean I do watch films from those decades and from nowadays (foreign too, chinese, european, latin, etc.)...I do have current favorites too...but my "weakness" and forte are the old classics..mostly american...I was very fond of my grandpas (all born in-between 1917-1920), and they always talked to me about thirties and forties movies, the musicals, my parents too (both born in 1941) are very keen on movies...my father's fave is DeMille...and biblical flicks...my grandma loved "Smilin' Through" (1932) and Imitation of Life (1934)...and was enamoured of Nils Asther in "The Bitter Tea of Geeneral Yen"... Old movies emotion me in "a different way.."...it's sort of lost feelings from another time..it's weird..