Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

If You Were Alone on a Desert Island. . .

littletramplover

classicsfan: when you said the following It's funny, isn't it? I've always thought I was born too late, and should have been born at least 15-years earlier to be born into the generation I seem most in touch with.

You took the words right out of my mouth. My grandmother and grandfather and I have so much in common, and we talk about classic film and classic jazz and history and have a grand old time and I find myself quite envious that I did not get to live through the era they did. Glad to know I'm not alone in my sentiments!!

Littletramplover, thank you for your input. I also find it nice to know that I'm not the only one who thinks I was born too late.

And, Antar...would you still be so hell-bent to get off that island if you somehow discovered that Hedy was stranded on the other side of it? Let's say that you met up. What movie would you want to have then to share with Hedy under the moonlight?

Well, that's quite a scenario, classics! *[something from a euphoric dreamland]* I wouldn't be quite so hell-bent to leave, but I have no idea what movie I'd want.

I'm trying to think, "what would Hedy want to watch," and I'm just not sure. Who knows, maybe she'd be preoccupied with raft-building, too(?).

You see, the only reason I was hesitant to pick a Hedy film is because I don't like being obvious. But the fact of the matter is, if I did have to pick one film, it would have to be a Hedy film. If I were alone on the island, that is. Though I typically like drearier dramas like Algiers and Experiment Perilous, I would have to bring something slightly more upbeat on a desert island. I would be tempted to bring My Favorite Spy but I'd end up going along with Come Live With Me.

If I were alone, that is.

If I knew Hedy was also on this island (the very thought makes me melt), I might not pick a Hedy film for fear Hedy wouldn't want to watch a Hedy film. I don't know if I could choose a good movie; I've been told I haven't a romantic bone in my body!

Thanx for asking about ,e cf! This is hard! and requires a lot of thought since it's not necessarily your favorite movie, but as feaito originally said, one you "never tire of watching". And so few movies fit this for me!

I liked Antar's practical sense too.

If I could pick, I'd say a feature-length film of vignettes of old commercials from the '50s and '60s, as it would remind me fondly of my childhood. I love nostalgic stuff, and I would get bored with any dramatic dialog forever and ever...

If i were alone on a desert Island i would be thinking of ways to get off the island !!but while contemplating my escape i would watch one of my favorite movies "The

Great Escape" with Steve McQueen & James Garner. Also

all the Indiana Jones movies to give me the incentive to get off this darn Island!!......How did i get here in the

first place GOSH DARN ?!!

I wouldn't be in too big a rush in trying to get off of the island, actually. I see it like this: you'd leave, and a few days later your lifeless body would end up washing back onto the shore of that island.

I would pick the original Superman movie starring Christopher Reeve, Gene Hackman and Margo Kidder. It's my all time favorite movie. I love movies with superheroes in it to me I love going behind the mask or the cape and exploring the depth of the human behind the hero.. Superman can be and has been told in so many ways. The Superman movies has action/adventure, humor, romance and drama.

For classic movies I'd pick The Music Man- the movie bounces with energy. I'd also pick anything with Claude Rains. A Touch of Evil or any thing with Orson Welles and for laughs Some Like it Hot. For my love of Hitchcock I'd pick either Strangers on a Train or Dial M for Murder.

Probably something cheerful like "Thats Entertainment" with all those wonderful MGM musical numbers.

Also with the constant threat of terrorism I believe I would have no trouble staying on the island. I'll just pretend I'm Robinson Crusoe. Perhaps I can train a monkey to dance to "Under the Bamboo Tree".

Mongo

Come on, you guys are cheating ... supposed to be one movie not a compilation;-)

It's an interesting question, right? It's A Wonderful Life is a good choice, kind of uplifting, eh? Musicals are good choices for the same reason ... one like My Fair Lady.

I don't know what I would choose. Something to help inspire me to go on in the face of adversity (Rocky) or something I could study over and over and always see something new (Citizen Kane) or one of those already listed.

But, That's Entertainment shouldn't count, right?

Okay, just one (or THE one): "Casablanca." 'Cause it breaks my heart and gives me hope every time I see it. You can watch the story, or you can watch the story told in the lighting and shadows; or you can close your eyes and let the musical cues carry the whole thing. "Casablanca" for my island, please.

Mine WAS cheating - a hodgepodge, and not even a movie to boot! (Sorry, I just love those specials with the old TV commercials and always think, when I see them on, "I never want this to end!")

Okay, if I had to pick a movie, I too would pick "Casablanca" - I'd wanna see people even MORE depressed than me.

• 3 weeks later...