Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

KINO NOIR BOX SET VOLUME 2

I saw Kino put out another Noir set that had these movies

Film Noir: Five Classics from the Studio Vaults (Scarlet Street/Contraband/Strange Impersonation/They Made Me A Fugitive/The Hitch-Hiker)

I have seen Scarlet Street and Hitchhiker - those are keepers...has anyone seen any of the others ?

Lets talk KINO NOIR in here :)

Message was edited by: dsclassic

Contraband (1940) is an early feature for the team of Powell & Pressburger, in which they toy with Hitchcockian comic thriller elements and display some of their nascent visual style. It has little "full-blown" film noir qualities, imo, but is very enjoyable for the change of pace behavior allowed Conrad Veidt as a heroic figure for once and for his interplay with Valerie Hobson. Veidt is a very appealing central character whose sense of fun as well as derring-do lift this little movie from the ordinary. You might enjoy seeing very early appearances by Leo Genn and Peter Bull as gang members in this movie too. Freddie Young's cinematography adds to the noirish atmosphere of London in wartime.

Contraband is a follow-up to the same production team and co-stars' work in The Spy in Black (1939)--which others may have seen. I'm still looking forward to this one.

I've got Kino's single-DVD version of They Made Me a Fugitive. I highly recommend that film. It has one scene of pure black comedy where Trevor Howard's "fugitive" character hides out in the home of a woman (Vida Hope) who wants to murder her husband. The woman suggests that Howard take a bath soon after he arrives, and Howard--afraid the police might find him and arrest him while he's bathing--utters one of my favorite movie lines: "I'd rather not get pinched in me altogether, if it's all the same to you."