Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pecos

Miracle on 34th Street (1947)

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2007 at 9:42 AM, ChelseaRialtoStudios said:

There is no such scene in the movie. Never was. I've seen a shooting script, an original cutting continuity and I have a 16mm print struck in the 1950's. I don't have my copy handy, but perhaps it is a scene in the Valentine Davies novel.  WOI! are you serious Chelsea?  when did you do it, upon it's making or yrs later you know my next question EVER SEE/MEET HER???    DO PLEASE CERIFY & FURTHER MORE KEEP IN TOUCH   Now I see what you mean & for us (TRUIVIA BUFFS OUT HERE>Best O. score for a dramatic picture for '47 went to A DOUBLE LIFE(Miklos Rosza)

STILL KEEP JOING US TCM-ITES PLEASE!!!

On ‎11‎/‎26‎/‎2007 at 9:42 AM, ChelseaRialtoStudios said:

The Liberty Films, per se, were never sold en masse. There was no masse. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE was sold by Capra to National Telefilm Associates, which became Republic Pictures, which was bought by Spelling Entertainment, which is now owned by Paramount. Although Paramount licensed the Republic library to Lions Gate, they retained IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE as a primary Paramount property (say THAT three times fast!).

As for MIRACLE, yes it would be wonderful if that film could look (and sound) as good as THE LATE GEORGE APLEY!!! My suspicion is that the camera negative is gone. As with Columbia, most of Fox's popular titles had their original materials worn out rather than printing from secondary materials.

When I produced the original soundtrack album to MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, the scoring session recording for the Main Title was gone, so we had to use the composite soundtrack. Fox sent us the latest DVD to work from. But the sound - thanks to Chace - was so poor that I went back to an old Beta hi-fi copy released by CBS/Fox. It had full fidelity and matched up very well with the scoring sessions from the rest of the picture.

miracle.jpg

THANK YOU FOR PUTTING "THE LOVE OF MY LIFE" (since I was only 15 in 1980, full year before she went away) NATALIA NOKOLAEVNIA ZHAKHERENO-(Natalie Wood's) marvelous shot up there & in blazing color, only 8 at the time, she didn't steal it,  but was 2nd best to *Oscar winner *Edmund Gwenn-(l875-l959) of in realty truly deserved to be in the Best actor race instead that year?

It was aroiund this time Natalie was doing anoither quickjie production for *Zabnuck & Fox when a bridge broke & again as she later always said it "No Matter How Much Evetybody Knows,They still Get Me into DeepWater" Unquote, Her dispicable mohd-(mother) Maria, thought it would hurt her very young career if she went to the Fox studios ER & such, so Natalie-(& EVERYTIME YOU SEE GHER LATER & TOWARDS HER UNTIMELY DEMISE ON NOVEMBER 29th, 1981) So in every single other of her flix-(she made 46 theatrical ones & 3 for tv) YOIU WILL ALWAYS & I MEAN ALWAYS SEE SOME BRACELET OR SOETHING ELSE COIVERING UP HER RIGHT WRIST! One exception  when *Kazan finally got her to very briefly got to remove it for her famous bathtub sequence, in not only her fav. film,all the yacht was named SPENDOUR) 1961's superb SPLENDOR IN THE GRASS as Deanie. but mine as well! In which she truly deserved her Best Atress Oscar for the role&yep, *Kazan also got her into a deep waterfall

& WHAT A HEAVYWEIGHT MOTION PICTURE TOO!!  The BP Winner instead: *GENTLEMAN'S AGREEMENT (Fox) (***-0out of 4) YOU BE THE JUDGE?

Also, never 4-get what 20th Century Fox did for the 1994 version/.remake patrons, ticket buyers of the fairly nice (**1/2) ($17m.) remake, starring R. Attenborough.. They promised if you didn't enjoy it to send in your ticket stub & they'd send you $money$ back

On 11/26/2007 at 1:02 PM, Pecos said:

If the scene was not in the movie, how is it that I can remember seeing it, my wife remembers seeing it and at least the person that hamradio found that posted about it on imdb two years ago as being missing also remembered seeing it? Quite frankly, I've never read the Valentine Davies novel, so I couldn't have imagined it from there.

1 hour ago, RCRees said:

I ABSOLUTELY remember seeing a version where the football helmet plot line is carried out to its conclusion, with the amazed prosecutor and his wife and son finding a football helmet under their tree on Christmas morning.  ...

I’ve come to believe I saw the scene in one of the many, many versions, but not the 1947 popular version which chose to just leave the plot line hanging. ...

The idea of missing footage is intriguing, and I'd love to see it.  But it seems unlikely that it exists in the 1947 version, in light of the firsthand knowledge one of our posters has with some of the source materials for the film. 

For what it's worth, I've read the Davies novelette a couple of times (it's very entertaining), and while it differs from the 1947 film, I don't recall the missing scene described above.

My guess is that the scene in question was in one of the remakes of Miracle on 34th Street: the TV versions that were done in 1955, 1959, and 1973, or the theatrical version from 1994.  I haven't seen any of them, but the Wiki plot summary for the latter suggests that it differed significantly from the original, so that seems like a possibility.  But it's just a guess...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OBVIOUSLY YIUR A BIG *BING FAN, huh?  What are your favs of his?

& despite all the millions, upon millions of other songs since then his rendition-(1st used in the better 1942 picture (***) HOLIDAY IN (Paramount) & not what most think, not from the more $Box-0ffice$ friendly1954 film titled WHITE CHRISTMAS(**)  That song is still thee single biggest selling record of all-time!

AND I MUST ASK YOU THIS ONE, GIVEN *THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD: FRANCIS (Albert) SINATRA (l9l5-l998) IS Y CLOSE ALL-TIME RUNNER-UP HERO & IDOL, WHAT DO YOU THINKOF HIM???

1 hour ago, shannon said:

OBVIOUSLY YIUR A BIG *BING FAN, huh?  What are your favs of his?

& despite all the millions, upon millions of other songs since then his rendition-(1st used in the better 1942 picture (***) HOLIDAY IN (Paramount) & not what most think, not from the more $Box-0ffice$ friendly1954 film titled WHITE CHRISTMAS(**)  That song is still thee single biggest selling record of all-time!

AND I MUST ASK YOU THIS ONE, GIVEN *THE CHAIRMAN OF THE BOARD: FRANCIS (Albert) SINATRA (l9l5-l998) IS Y CLOSE ALL-TIME RUNNER-UP HERO & IDOL, WHAT DO YOU THINKOF HIM???

Yes, I'm a Bing fan, and my favorite movies of his are HOLIDAY INN, WHITE CHRISTMAS, GOING MY WAY, ROAD TO UTOPIA, WELCOME STRANGER, and THE COUNTRY GIRL.  It would be hard to name my favorite recording of his -- there are so many.  That said, I really love "I'll Capture Your Heart," his duet with Fred Astaire, which was issued on record as well as being featured in HOLIDAY INN.

I'm also a big, big Sinatra fan.  I sometimes think he was a better singer than Bing -- Frank's "Only The Lonely" album surpasses almost any other vocal performance in my opinion -- but it's a very close call, as Bing's jazz-based recordings in the 30s created a whole new way of singing, along with those of his friend Louis Armstrong. 

I do think Bing was the better actor, but Frank was no slouch.  Both deserved their Oscars.

BingFan wrote:  "My guess is that the scene in question was in one of the remakes of Miracle on 34th Street: the TV versions that were done in 1955, 1959, and 1973, or the theatrical version from 1994."

Agree.  The scene is probably from one of these other versions.

• Thanks 1

On 11/26/2007 at 1:02 PM, Pecos said:

If the scene was not in the movie, how is it that I can remember seeing it, my wife remembers seeing it and at least the person that hamradio found that posted about it on imdb two years ago as being missing also remembered seeing it? Quite frankly, I've never read the Valentine Davies novel, so I couldn't have imagined it from there.

I often notice some scene I liked from some old movie that I could SWEAR was in it when I watched it as a kid missing from the movie when I see it many years later.  Could be some kind of memory glitch and I mixed it up over the years, I'm not sure. 

But I first saw this movie on TV back in the mid '60's and NEVER saw or even HEARD about the scenes you've brought up.  And come to think of it, it'd have no significance to the story as Mara and his son were NOT principle characters in the film.

Sepiatone

Okay, and now for MY question here:

In the movie Miracle on 42nd Street, I distinctly remember a scene where Ruby Keeler sits on Santa's lap, but I can't seem to find that one either lately!

(...so, what's up with THAT I wonder???)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Okay, and now for MY question here:

In the movie Miracle on 42nd Street, I distinctly remember a scene where Ruby Keeler sits on Santa's lap, but I can't seem to find that one either lately!

(...so, what's up with THAT I wonder???)

That's because you have the wrong title. The film is The Noir Before Christmas.

• Like 1

On 11/26/2007 at 9:42 AM, ChelseaRialtoStudios said:

There is no such scene in the movie. Never was. I've seen a shooting script, an original cutting continuity and I have a 16mm print struck in the 1950's. I don't have my copy handy, but perhaps it is a scene in the Valentine Davies novel.

The Liberty Films, per se, were never sold en masse. There was no masse. IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE was sold by Capra to National Telefilm Associates, which became Republic Pictures, which was bought by Spelling Entertainment, which is now owned by Paramount. Although Paramount licensed the Republic library to Lions Gate, they retained IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE as a primary Paramount property (say THAT three times fast!).

As for MIRACLE, yes it would be wonderful if that film could look (and sound) as good as THE LATE GEORGE APLEY!!! My suspicion is that the camera negative is gone. As with Columbia, most of Fox's popular titles had their original materials worn out rather than printing from secondary materials.

When I produced the original soundtrack album to MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET, the scoring session recording for the Main Title was gone, so we had to use the composite soundtrack. Fox sent us the latest DVD to work from. But the sound - thanks to Chace - was so poor that I went back to an old Beta hi-fi copy released by CBS/Fox. It had full fidelity and matched up very well with the scoring sessions from the rest of the picture.

miracle.jpg

Thanks for this very interesting post especially with the shooting script information. With all the other remakes of this film in movie and tv form, maybe the supposed missing scene is from one of them. I remember seeing a tv version with Sebastian Cabot and other film and tv takes with Richard Attenborough and even Thomas Mitchell so perhaps the scene exists in a different version.

I was lucky to have met Maureen O'hara who was in town for the Fortieth Anniversary of Miracle on 34th Street.  She was making her rounds on talk shows and promoting the 40th Anniversary edition of the film on dvd.  I must tell you I was awe struck as to how young she appeared and even spoke and moved like a woman half her age, she might have been in her mid 60's then. She was just amazing.  Years later after she had a stroke I saw her on tv again and it was devastating.

On ‎11‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 4:29 AM, Wayne said:

BingFan wrote:  "My guess is that the scene in question was in one of the remakes of Miracle on 34th Street: the TV versions that were done in 1955, 1959, and 1973, or the theatrical version from 1994."

Agree.  The scene is probably from one of these other versions.

what do you think of both the tv movie rehash & the ';94 remake with *Attenborugh?

NO MATTER WHAT, NO LITTLE GAL CAN REPLACE NATALIA IN THATPIVOTAL ROLE

MY ACTUAL "ALRERNATE OSCAR" WINNERS FOR 1947 ARE>

Best Film:

Miracle on 34th street (Fox)

Actor:

*Edmund Gwenn in "Miracle on 34th Street"

Actress:

Deborah Kerr, "Black Narcissus"

S. Actor:

Richard Widmark, "Kiss of Death"-(barely over Ryan in "Crossfire")

S. Actress:

Marjorie Main, "The Egg and I"

& BD:

David Lean for "Great Expectations"