Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Product of their Time or Would They Appeal to Todays' Generation

msladysoul

Who of the Golden Era of Hollywood would be just as famous today as they were in their time had they be around in today's Hollywood? And who would you say wouldn't be as famous with today's audience as they were in their time, so they better be happy they came in their era they did? Who was just a product of their time and who had real talent to appeal to anyone? And who do you think was ahead of their time, and would of been more popular had they been around today? Now think hard, look at today's actresses and actors, and the Golden Era of Hollywood Actors and Actresses. Now, don't say your favorite would of made it had they been around today.

I have to say I can see Jean Harlow and Clara Bow being around today and being just as popular, perhaps even bigger and maybe Clara Bow's career wouldn't been ruined because of the live she she lived, because stars live wild today and their praised for it.

I'm sorry to say I can't see a Greta Garbo today, not that she's not good. Its just that actresses don't come like her anymore. Garbo is once in a lifetime. And besides Hollywood and moviegoers today don't appreciate good talent, they like trashy movies.

Bette Davis is a 50/50. I can't see her around today. She's too good for today's movies.

So Bette Davis and Joan Crawford should be happy and I'm sure we are that came in the era they did.

I couldn't picture a Ginger Rogers around today, can't picture a June Allyson.

What do you all think?

With all due respect. I think Hedy Lamarr would be a big star if she was around today. It seems beautiful stars get roles, just for being beautiful and by being beautiful their treated like their talented. Yes I can see Ms. Lamarr today. Not too say she isn't talented, she's very watchable. She just has what people would like today.

Well, you might be right. That is, if she were to just 'stand there and look beautiful' (something she was critical of) as she did in Algiers, she might have a Catherine Zeta-Jones like appeal. Or if she acted as she did in White Cargo or The Strange Woman she might go over well. But if it was her as she was in her better dramatic roles, say H. M. Pulham, Esq., Tortilla Flat, and even Dishonored Lady, she wouldn't be popular at all.

With William Holden, Clark Gable, and Cary Grant I can picture most of the male stars of the past famous today. But they probably wouldn't have the roles they are famous for. I couldn't picture Humphrey Bogart and Cagney. I don't see too many bad guys on-screen, I see guys pretending to be bad but their not convincing. I can pictue Bogart cursing though if he was around today. But I have to say I can see male stars of Golden Era of Hollywood big today, but they probably wouldn't have the roles that made them Legends.

swngsoul, I never really get mad on these boards. I can accept the truth. Catherine Zeta-Jones has little more than a visual appeal. Hedy Lamarr has been accused of that, but she did indeed ACT in a lot of her films. It is only in the films where she was little more than a visual embellishment that Zeta-Jones could be compared, not so much in their looks (Hedy's far more beautiful), but presence. And if she wasn't just standing there looking gorgeous, she would have to act like a **** (like her Tondelayo in White Cargo or Jenny Hager in The Strange Woman) to make it today. But Hedy was more than that in other films. That must be understood. Hedy at her best was too good to make it today.