Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  

One of us, Gooba- Gabba- FREAKS!!!!

I cannot believe FREAKS is not on this list... Classic, Cult Movie supreme!!!

Just want to preface this comment that no disrespect is meant if I bungle any PC terms in my enthusiasm for this movie:

Now that is just downright pitiful that we have only had 1 response so far on this amazing film. Perhaps this Browning film was intended to be shocking when it was originally released, but these days it's pretty tame in comparison. I think it is only human nature to be curious as how people deal with their challenges so it doesn't bother me at all. I am reminded how mom's would always admonish their children not to stare (which really only drove the curiosity into a closet.) Now we are invited for upclose and personal and aren't rude for staring.

The troop form a close, loving susbstitute family that many might envy. It shows the needs that all of us have, from Jenny who in her heart is just a girly-girl and adores fashion to the adjustments that must be made when you fear your sister's new fiancee' is a drip, to the children who are just looking for a place to play and be children. Obviously, the real "Freaks" in the movie are the vain trapeze artist and her muscle headed boyfriend that are so damaged and unable to love anything besides what they see in the mirror. They use the need for love as a weapon with such painful cruelty that it is obvious that they are the damaged and malformed. But they dreadfully miscalculate the troop defenselessness as easy marks and "woe to the mister who messes with my sister!" The only squeamish moment I have is that they are driven to murderous revenge, but they are more effective in their followthru than any single person . . . they get away with it.

In my book, it might be a cult movie, but with it's insight into the human heart, it should be an "Essential".

null