Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

International films with LGBT themes


Recommended Posts

  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Review of Luka Dhont's Girl Belgian film about a transgendered ballerina.

https://life.spectator.co.uk/articles/transgender-dogma-is-naive-and-incompatible-with-freud/

 

Suffice it to remember what happened with “The Girl” (Lucas Dhont, 2018), a Belgian film about a 15-year-old girl, born in the body of a boy, who dreams of becoming a ballerina. Why did this film trigger such ferocious reactions in some powerful post-modern-post-gender circles? The predominant LGBT+ doctrine encourages the rejection of biologically and/or socially given gender identities and advocates individual’s self-acquaintance and politicisation of its identities: “You are free to define yourself as how you feel yourself! And everybody shall accept you as how you define yourself” This, exactly, is what happens in the film: the teenager protagonist is fully encouraged to adopt “the way she feels”, her identity; she is encouraged to improve “point” in ballet (despite very strict and difficult classical ballet training standards), her doctor prescribes hormones, the ballet instructor gives private lessons to her, the father continuously asks her about her problems to encourage her to talk, she is even encouraged to elucidate her fantasies to her psychologist and to her father, and the we see things getting worse. Many LGBT+ activists attacked it ferociously for its focus on the traumatic aspects of gender transition, for its depiction of the painful details of gender change, claiming that it functions as a pornographic horror show – although the ballerina on whose life the movie is based defended it staunchly, insisting that it portrays perfectly her troubles. In these critiques, we are obviously dealing with a conflict between the painful reality of gender transitions and its official sanitised version which puts all the blame on social pressure.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Francois Ozon's "Double Lover" a stylish psychological thriller about Chloe (Marine Vatch) who becomes involved with Paul ( Jeremie Renier) a shrink with too many secrets .  Ozon creates plenty of erotic tension between the three.  There is a definite gay sensibility at play here- with with a bisexual three way and a pegging scene. Renier is a very sexy actor and we get to see a lot of him.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jaragon said:

Francois Ozon's "Double Lover" a stylish psychological thriller about Chloe (Marine Vatch) who becomes involved with Paul ( Jeremie Renier) a shrink with too many secrets .  Ozon creates plenty of erotic tension between the three.  There is a definite gay sensibility at play here- with with a bisexual three way and a pegging scene. Renier is a very sexy actor and we get to see a lot of him.

 

It looks like an interesting film.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

A Special Day (1977).  Sophia Loren as a stressed housewife in 1930s Italy who falls in love with Marcello Mastroianni’s gay broadcaster dismissed from his government job when his sexual orientation is revealed. The film is set during Hitler’s May 1938 visit to Rome to meet Mussolini. This was a tour de force from the two leads. It was shot in muted colors to evoke a sense of desolation and oppression. When Loren finds out about Mastroianni, her anger and shock dissipate, and their love grows stronger. Beautifully directed by Ettore Scola.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

A Special Day (1977).  Sophia Loren as a stressed housewife in 1930s Italy who falls in love with Marcello Mastroianni’s gay broadcaster dismissed from his government job when his sexual orientation is revealed. The film is set during Hitler’s May 1938 visit to Rome to meet Mussolini. This was a tour de force from the two leads. It was shot in muted colors to evoke a sense of desolation and oppression. When Loren finds out about Mastroianni, her anger and shock dissipate, and their love grows stronger. Beautifully directed by Ettore Scola.

Sounds like a great film. I haven't seen it. Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cinemaspeak59 said:

A Special Day (1977).  Sophia Loren as a stressed housewife in 1930s Italy who falls in love with Marcello Mastroianni’s gay broadcaster dismissed from his government job when his sexual orientation is revealed. The film is set during Hitler’s May 1938 visit to Rome to meet Mussolini. This was a tour de force from the two leads. It was shot in muted colors to evoke a sense of desolation and oppression. When Loren finds out about Mastroianni, her anger and shock dissipate, and their love grows stronger. Beautifully directed by Ettore Scola.

It's a great film.

The two stars carry it off - beautifully.

The ending could not be sadder.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Antonio Banderas gives an Oscar worthy performance in Almodovar's "Pain and Glory" (2019) playing a famous film director trying to come to terms with his past. The movie is about the healing power of art specially cinema.

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, jaragon said:

Antonio Banderas gives an Oscar worthy performance in Almodovar's "Pain and Glory" (2019) playing a famous film director trying to come to terms with his past. The movie is about the healing power of art specially cinema.

 

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for mentioning it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TopBilled said:

Sounds fantastic! Thanks for mentioning it.

The movie is a bit slow at times but it's filled with beauty and heart.  Banderas should get an Oscar nomination for his performance- yes I almost cried a couple of times.  Almodovar of course has a great eye for for male beauty in the shape of Cesar Vicente-whose full frontal bathing scene in an instant classic

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jaragon said:

The movie is a bit slow at times but it's filled with beauty and heart.  Banderas should get an Oscar nomination for his performance- yes I almost cried a couple of times.  Almodovar of course has a great eye for for male beauty in the shape of Cesar Vicente-whose full frontal bathing scene in an instant classic

A shame that Ray's not around to read about this. Sounds like something he'd enjoy. :) 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Tsai Ming-Liang's new film Days (2020) is about two gay men who meet in Taiwan. It is very long with no dialogue which bored me (I rated it a 2) but here it is to make up your own mind on it.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

"West of Eden" (2017) this one is wants to be a "Brokeback Mountain" set in New Zealand.  Billy ( Kieran Foster) a rough farm hand fall ins love with Tom  ( Luke  Thompsom) the affluent farmers son.  The problem is that their romance is only a minor subplot in a very long soap opera which feels like a pilot for a tv series.  The two lovers are handsome and have chemistry but their love scene in rather chaste.   You can see it on Amazon prime and fast forward through most of the dullness.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...