Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

International films with LGBT themes

On 4/26/2020 at 8:22 PM, jaragon said:

"West of Eden" (2017) this one is wants to be a "Brokeback Mountain" set in New Zealand.  Billy ( Kieran Foster) a rough farm hand fall ins love with Tom  ( Luke  Thompsom) the affluent farmers son.  The problem is that their romance is only a minor subplot in a very long soap opera which feels like a pilot for a tv series.  The two lovers are handsome and have chemistry but their love scene in rather chaste.   You can see it on Amazon prime and fast forward through most of the dullness.

I watched this one not long ago, on Amazon Prime. I didn't find it dull. And actually I liked the fact that the gay plot was more of a subplot, since it felt less cliched that way. Mainly that their feelings and relationship were happening as part of a bigger picture of things going on at the ranch.

It's clear the filmmakers were inspired by BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN but also by some of John Steinbeck's work. The scenery is great.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I watched this one not long ago, on Amazon Prime. I didn't find it dull. And actually I liked the fact that the gay plot was more of a subplot, since it felt less cliched that way. Mainly that their feelings and relationship were happening as part of a bigger picture of things going on at the ranch.

It's clear the filmmakers were inspired by BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN but also by some of John Steinbeck's work. The scenery is great.

I think the trailer sells it like a gay love story but the actual movie which I think could have been helped by some editing is more about the rest of the soap opera family which I really did not care about.   The scenery is great and the two guys look great too and it was interesting to see a gay love story in a rural setting.   I did not like the ending because the villain did not get what he deserves at least a punch in the face could have been more satisfying.

• Thanks 1
On 4/29/2020 at 8:34 AM, jaragon said:

I think the trailer sells it like a gay love story but the actual movie which I think could have been helped by some editing is more about the rest of the soap opera family which I really did not care about.   The scenery is great and the two guys look great too and it was interesting to see a gay love story in a rural setting.   I did not like the ending because the villain did not get what he deserves at least a punch in the face could have been more satisfying.

Again, I liked that the gay couple did not dominate the action. They are just sort of integrated into the main storyline, part of everything that's happening. It felt more balanced to me than most stereotypical "gay films" (or films marketed to gay audiences).

The ending reminded me of HARPER, where we have him walking off and there is a "resolution" yet nothing is fully resolved...so it's open to the viewers' interpretation.

I agree that the editing could have better in spots.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, TopBilled said:

Again, I liked that the gay couple did not dominate the action. They are just sort of integrated into the main storyline, part of everything that's happening. It felt more balanced to me than most stereotypical "gay films" (or films marketed to gay audiences).

The ending reminded me of HARPER, where we have him walking off and there is a "resolution" yet nothing is fully resolved...so it's open to the viewers' interpretation.

I agree that the editing could have better in spots.  

The film should have been tighter- it felt like a pilot for a night time soap opera that did not sell and then they tried to market the movie as gay love story .  

5 hours ago, jaragon said:

The film should have been tighter- it felt like a pilot for a night time soap opera that did not sell and then they tried to market the movie as gay love story .  

Possible. Or else it was just a more experimental sort of narrative. You can't fault them for trying to market it a certain way, to gain an audience.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, TopBilled said:

Possible. Or else it was just a more experimental sort of narrative. You can't fault them for trying to market it a certain way, to gain an audience.

No but it's a kind of bait and switch tactic- I notice the soundtrack even sounds like the music from "Brokeback Mountain"

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Marco Berger the director specializes in this type of gay cinema in which cute Argenitne boys ogle each other for most of the movie but nothing really happens; but he knows how to cast good looking young actors....

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TopBilled said:

I missed this comment. Sorry for the late reply.

I've never heard of it. What kind of streaming service is it?

They have two streaming services one for gay theme movies  and another for gay erotic films ( for those who are interested in this sort of thing)