Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Montgomery

Now we're talking. ;) To say I love this guy is an understatement. I also think he may be the most underrated of the actors at his level. Particularly as he was most often served with warmed over variations of the same "smiling Jack" playboy time after time at MGM. When they occasionally gave him a shot at more layered or complicated character he didn't disappoint but he never quite graduated to a steady run of meaty roles. He went behind the camera and later formed his own highly successful television anthology series as well to write speeches for the President so he didn't take a stuttering acting career laying down. One of my favorite noirs, and surely one of the most individualistic, is his *Ride the Pink Horse* and which the gimmick seems stale now, his employment of a subjective camera technique throught *Lady in the Lake* was quite a daring attempt for his first major directing assignment.

From what I've read, he and Elizabeth cared about each other a great deal and I'm sure he was wildly proud of her success. He gave her the first breaks of her acting career when he found roles for her in his television series.

Of course, what I really care about it is that impish grin and eyes sparkling with mischief and intelligence, which never fails to make me melt:

Bobbyincamelcoat.jpg

I think it's sweet he gave his beautiful daughter her first breaks into acting. I am strongly considering exploring more of his works.

It's sad how there are so many underrated talents out there. Him, Steve Cochran, Scott Brady, John Ireland, Joel McCrea, Forrest Tucker, and Franchot Tone. (just to name a few).

Nice picture of Montgomery!!!

What was his TV show like?

Message was edited by: Brando4ever

I've never seen his show. Sadly, it's not available in any format. I keep hoping it will turn up one day, because I've read about it and all the wonderful stars who guested on it. It was supposedly very sophisticated, intelligently written adult fare.

I wish his TV show would play, too. Why couldn't TCM air it???

I've seen many legends, including some of my favs have guest starred on there.

I really want to see it. It's cool that a legendary film star liek him started his own show.

What's some other good films of his?

And who are his Hollywood friends?

I like his early thirties films the best, even if they were usually a variation on the same playboy character but the illustrate my belief he is a light comedian second to none (The Last of Mrs Cheyney, When Ladies Meet, Petticoat Fever). However, in three favorites of the period he plays a hood or a an ex-con: *Hide-Out, Fugitive Lovers, The Man in Possession* and The Earl of Chicago. Except for The Man in Possession, he plays a toughie with a wicked jaw. In The Man in Possession he's an ex-con but so polished you'd never know it. TCM has aired them all before so keep an eye on their schedule. Of his later films, I like *Ride the Pink Horse* the best.

I don't think RM tended to hang out too much with the Hollywood crowd. He was a Yankee and seemed to stay linked to his Eastern associations, however he was generally well liked everywhere.

RM with John Wayne on *They Were Expendable* (Ford asked RM to take over the direction of the film after he had to leave for Washington. This whetted Bob's appetite for getting behind the camera.)

BobDukeTheyWereExpendable.jpg

RM looks very handsome in that pic with his facial hair.

That's so cool that Ford asked RM to direct. I'm sure RM was as good a director as he is an actor.

I love that he did a movie with John Wayne, did a film with Clark Gable and did a film with both Gable AND John Barrymore.

Can you beleive how much RM's beautiful daughter Elizabeth looks so much like him?

She's very beautiful. What does RM's grandkids look like? Did his grandkids inherit his good looks?

I have always thought RM's daughter looked beautiful since I watched "Bewitched" for the first time yeeeeeeears ago. Beautifu land she's a sweet person like her dad.

What does her kids/RM's grandkids look like? Anything like them?

That is a great picture of her. They way she's posed she looks so angelic. She's a true beauty.

I love those photos. Both Robert and Elizabeth Montgomery seem to be underrated actors. I guess that being effortlessly gorgeous and charming got them noticed, maybe insured that they had to struggle to be taken seriously.

Most of the roles offered to Robert Montgomery required little more than that he look good in evening clothes, but he gave something extra. It's adorable the way he often looks like he wandered into a scene en route from one fun party to the next. He's terribly amused to find himself there, is interested in all the strange people around him. Some say that's not proper acting, but he looks exactly like the sort of person you hoped would come through the door because everything was so dull before he got there. Maybe it's natural charm and good manners as an acting style? Whatever it is, it's beautiful to see.

He's deliciously creepy/charming in NIGHT MUST FALL with Rosalind Russell, terrific in FAITHLESS with Tallulah Bankhead, and had wonderful chemistry with Joan Crawford in all their movies. He's so touching in HERE COMES MR. JORDAN, with that rough accent and panicky eyes. The only really annoying thing (IMHO) about THE LADY IN THE LAKE is that his face is too seldom onscreen (in the mirror), and I'm anxious to see this highly-recommended RIDE THE PINK HORSE.

Message was edited by: cascabel

Thanks for the recommendations.

In that one film I saw he is extremely adorable. I fell in love with him from that one film.

It's a shame how an actor or actress doesn't get taken seriously and doesn't get the respet he or she deserves because they are gorgeous.

Can't explain why I've never been a fan of Robert Montgomery. I've seen a number of his films becuz of his leading ladies: (Lombard, Shearer, Bergman, Russell, Keyes among them). But Elizabeth Montgomery was one of my all-time favorite tv personalities. Very sad to have heard of her death a few years ago. Very sad! Why I've never warmed up to her Dad I'll never know.

• 4 months later...

>what I really care about it is that impish grin and eyes sparkling with mischief and intelligence,

Miss Goddess, you capture him perfectly with those words. I've never said this out loud but if I had choose a star that I would most be like, it would be Robert Montgomery (screen personae). He had a little of everything. He combines looks, intelligence, a wry sense of humor, sophistication but not stuffiness, that debonair manner, and an absolutely perfect face. I liked him best in Mr and Mrs Smith The way he appeared in that film is perfection. That early breakfast scene I could look at over and over. They are both absolutely perfect. The way she starts when he says that he would do it "differently." A perfect scene. Remember when he says, "That cat knows something," when they are having dinner at a restaurant. He is perfect in this movie. I liked him a little less in the film in which he played a boxer. Didn't he have an accent? I thought he was a little out of his element in that picture. He was very good In June Bride with Bette, more himself, as I see him. RobertO mentioned in an intro years back that audiences were indeed disappointed when they were not able to see him in Lady in the Lake, RO said they felt cheated. I've always noticed how Elizabeth looked like her father. It is so clear. Lovely picture of Elizabeth below by the way (and of Robert too). I'm trying to remember the circumstances of her death, can't remember, but I was so sad. There's a story where Robert wanted out of Haunted Honeymoon but the studio made him do it. He was so mad he vowed that he would simply go through the motions and I think he did just that ... but the perf still looked good on screen. Nice someone bringing him up ... is it just me or does he seem not to get much ink around here.

Hi Lafitte & Molo! I'm so happy to see others who appreciate one of my favorite actors! I think he was very talented and charming and is one of the best light comedians of the screen (I put him up there with Powell and Grant). I love watching his early 1930s romps all the way through to his gritty noirs like *Ride the Pink Horse* (another that is underrated). And then, of course, he was so convincing in They Were Expendable (which took advantage of his real PT boat experience) and he even got to direct part of it, starting a new direction for his career that would eventually lead to a successful television show, "Robert Montgomery Presents". How I wish I could see that show somehow. His daughter Elizabeth got her start on it.

I would also like to see a good biography made about him.

Here he is with Irene Purcell in the sparkling and sophisticated pre-code, The Man in Possession.

maninpossession2-1.jpg

> {quote:title=MissGoddess wrote:}{quote} I think he was very talented and charming and is one of the best light comedians of the screen (I put him up there with Powell and Grant).

> maninpossession2-1.jpg

Definitely, He was amazing and one of my favorites! Does anyone know if "Hideout" is on DVD? I am desperate for that movie!!!!!!!

Message was edited by: ILoveRayMilland

Does anyone know if "Hideout" is on DVD? I am desperate for that movie!!!!!!!

ILoveRayMilland,

I don't think it's available on any dvd release.

You can try this site. I have never used it but I think some other posters have. It is on their list as available. Just look under H after you look over the site.

http://www.freemoviesondvd.com/

*Hide-Out* is definitely not on (commercial) dvd so your best bet is to record it the next time it airs on TCM, which, thankfully, is not altogether unfrequently.

It's my favorite, too.

Here's Bobby with Madge Evans in a publicity shot for Piccadily Jim. They also co-starred in one of my favorites: Fugitive Lovers, directed by the almost forgotten Richard Boleslawski.

BobbyMadge.jpg?t=1207271510