Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Robert Montgomery

Brando4ever

• 4 weeks later...

OK... what IS the world coming to??? (ha)

I just watched a NOIR movie today.... And what's more... I LIKED it! *Ride The Pink Horse* HA!!!!!!!!! Take that Frank Grimes!!

A friend of mine gave me this one... and I had NO idea what it was about.. and in truth.. I sort of "sat" on it for a while. But THEN... today... I was looking for something a little different to watch... and I put it in and gave it a try. And ha... NO one was more surprised than ME when half way through the movie I suddenly shouted, "Hey! I think this is a NOIR! Frank Grimes would be so proud!!" :-) ha.

And I have to say.... I liked this movie SO much (and I was so proud of myself for going "DARK") that I ALMOST started a THREAD in the NOIR forum called "I CAN'T BELIEVE I WATCHED THE NOIR THING" HA.

But you know me... I HATE to start new threads.... and since I DID NOT want to interrupt the ongoing chat in Movie Rambles.... I decided what better place to chat about a Robert Montgomery movie than HERE???

RTPH was a nice little "suspense" yarn... and I truly enjoyed it a LOT... mostly due to Robert Montgomery. BOY... he had SUCH a way w/ accents, didn't he? He really did a fine job in this story. But the plot of the movie had me hooked too... I could not WAIT to see HOW (or if) he was going to get out of the mess he was in.

Well... thanks for letting me jabber... Just wanted to tell THE GREY DUDE that I watched a NOIR... and I am NOT sorry. ha. I thoroughly enjoyed my little walk on the DARK side.

(YIKES... Between this and my upcoming GG film fest... I am going to have a HUGE identity crisis before the year is out!!) :-)

Ride the Pink Horse is a very underrated movie, or at least one that is very seldom seen today, both because it is not on DVD and because it's not often shown on TV. It really does deserve more distribution.

I happen to have a copy, but it is not the greatest-looking - still better than nothing. Hope you'll have a chance to post screencaps of your favorite moments.

I am SO glad you enjoyed this movie, Ro! It's one of Bobby's BEST acting-wise and THE best

movie he directed. I love following all the twists and turns and most of all, the strange characters

that keep popping up. Like Wanda Hendrix in her pigtails and get-up, Thomas Gomez and his

good heart and old merry-go-round, and sweet little Art Smith who is rather like a wise gnome.

All three of these people sort of "attach" themselves (for different reasons) to Bobby and he

is so puzzled by it---he has something to do and he doesn't need an audience but first he's

stuck with them, then it turns out he needs them. :)

It's one of Bobby's BEST

Oh April... I thought he was really good. He just sort of "sunk" into that role. I love how he just takes on a persona like that.

I love following all the twists and turns and most of all, the strange characters

that keep popping up. Like Wanda Hendrix in her pigtails and get-up, Thomas Gomez and his

good heart and old merry-go-round, and sweet little Art Smith who is rather like a wise gnome

The best part for me was trying to figure out if they all really WERE what they appeared to be or not. They all three had me wondering (at least for a while) and they ALL showed their TRUE nature in VERY effective and convincing ways. I was really pleased with the entire story.

(And PS.... lest that Shifltess "man in the shadows" thinks I have suddenly gone "grey"with my new found "NOIR" watching.... that Bobby boy was the "black and whitest" gray (I mean GREY) character I have seen in quite a WHILE!. (ha) No wonder I liked him so well!! :-)

And PSS... re; the directing... .wow. That scene on the merry go round... with the kid's faces as they were sort of "trapped" there for a moment... OH WOW.

> {quote:title=rohanaka wrote:}{quote}

> It's one of Bobby's BEST

>

> Oh April... I thought he was really good. He just sort of "sunk" into that role. I love how he just takes on a persona like that.

>

He was very funny to me, so cranky one minute and then perplexed and saying something

that would break me up. His reactions to Wanda Hendrix's oddity really made me laugh.

>

> The best part for me was trying to figure out if they all really WERE what they appeared to be or not. They all three had me wondering (at least for a while) and they ALL showed their TRUE nature in VERY effective and convincing ways. I was really pleased with the entire story.

>

Yes you're right, the characters are hard to read at first---are they good guys or bad---all

except Fred Clark, ha! It was pretty funny for me to see him as a gangster. I always

see him as a "Babbit-like" business man, very ultra straight if not hypocritical. Quite

a change of pace.

> (And PS.... lest that Shifltess "man in the shadows" thinks I have suddenly gone "grey"with my new found "NOIR" watching.... that Bobby boy was the "black and whitest" gray (I mean GREY) character I have seen in quite a WHILE!. (ha) No wonder I liked him so well!! :-)

>

Ha! I wonder if "Shiftless" has ever seen it. TCM needs to air it, it's been a while

and it's one of those movies that should be better know but aren't.

> And PSS... re; the directing... .wow. That scene on the merry go round... with the kid's faces as they were sort of "trapped" there for a moment... OH WOW.

Carnivals always strike me as a little scary and seedy, at least when they are filmed

at nite time, so I thought the whole ambience was excellently photographed to capture

that dangerous atmosphere where death could leap out of anywhere when you least

expect it. In look and tone it reminds me somewhat of Orson Welles' Touch of Evil.

Glad somebody brought this thread back up. I actually sat down to watch Ride the Pink Horse again over the weekend and found myself enjoying it quite a bit, despite the fact I don't have a very good recording of it.

If they ever did issue this on DVD, I would be delighted to hear all about the making of the movie, especially how Robert Montgomery came to direct it and choose the locations they did. From what I've read about it, having been handed part of the directing duties in Ford's They Were Expendable helped him get some experience as a director before he talked this project.

The choice of cast is also extremely effective; I don't think I've ever seen Wanda Hendrix in a better part than she had in this movie as Pila, who apparently is supposed to be a Mexican-American girl (I could be wrong about that, but the movie really isn't too specific about it).

His reactions to Wanda Hendrix's oddity really made me laugh.

Ha... I loved it when she tried to improve herself with her whacky sort of "sophisticated" look. It was comical and sweet all at the same time.

And it was also sweet the way he tried to brush her off, but she just kept sticking with him... . It made you wonder who needed whom... ha. He seemed to want her to want to look after him... but then again... he was all "Go away kid you bother me." ha.

minispoiler:

At the end... he kept looking over his shoulder to see if she was going to follow him... half hoping she would and half glad that she didn't. Oh... and I meant to tell you... right at the VERY end... I kept expecting (and half hoping...ha) for her to show up all dressed in modern "American" clothes and find out she was some sort of undercover agent who'd been working with "Uncle Sam" all along. ha. But alas.... she really was just a peasant girl.

Carnivals always strike me as a little scary and seedy, at least when they are filmed

at nite time, so I thought the whole ambience was excellently photographed to capture

that dangerous atmosphere where death could leap out of anywhere when you least

expect it

Ha... we really ARE sisters, aren't we? I have always had a bit of that in me too. I am not a big "carnival" or "fair" person. Escpecially after dark. I think for me it is the irony of the "fun" you are supposed to be having mixed with all the "mayhem" that is usually going on all around (bright lights and noise and huge crowds, etc) that makes it creepy/scary.

And again.. that scene just really tore me up... those kids faces said it all. They were supposed to be having fun and enjoying the free ride.... but despite the cheery music and the lights and the ponies... you could tell by their distraught expression that it was ANYTHING but fun. I felt so sorry for them as they witnessed that sort of violence for us. (and we could only HEAR it happening)

In look and tone it reminds me somewhat of Orson Welles' Touch of Evil.

I have not seen that one, so I will have to check it out the next time I want a good "creep out". Ha.

Ha! I wonder if "Shiftless" has ever seen it.

It is likely sitting on his dust covered shelves along with his 8 gazzillion John Wayne movies. :P:P:P

I wish I knew the answer to that, Poinciana, but unfortunately the only thing I know he did around the time of WW2 was to help finish They Were Expendable when Ford couldn't be there to direct.

At any rate, just wanted to post a little reminder for all Robert Montgomery fans to remind them that TCM will be showing Here Comes Mr. Jordan at 8pm ET Wednesday night (as part of Claude Rains night)

I found the documentary, it wasn't easy!

"The Secret Land is the Oscar-winning documentary of Admiral Richard Byrd's 1946-1947 Antarctic expedition. Robert Montgomery, Robert Taylor, and Van Heflin, all commissioned naval officers, alternate as the film's narrator. The footage of the expedition was taken by members of the U.S. Navy photographic corps, while the narration was written by Harvey S. Haislip and William C. Park. Adding to the box-office value of this well-edited documentary (cut down by Frederick Y. Smith from 90 hours' worth of film!) was the fact that it was lensed in Technicolor. The Secret Land was produced by Orville O. Dull and distributed by MGM. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide"

I know how it got confused in my mind - it's about Antarctica and was narrated by actors who were naval officers in WWII. It was terrific and I hope TCM programmers haven't overlooked it.

Robert Montgomery fans, early next week TCM will be showing another RM movie:

*Live, Love And Learn* (1937) 6:45am ET on Sept. 15th

A bohemian artist and a society girl try to adjust to marriage.

Cast: Robert Montgomery, Rosalind Russell, Robert Benchley, Helen Vinson Dir: Geo. Fitzmaurice BW-79 mins, TV-G

I don't think I've ever seen this one, I'm really looking forward to it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I almost forgot this one was on tonight and starred Robert Montgomery until I saw the credits on the screen just a second ago:

*Night Must Fall* (1937)

A charming young man worms his way into a wealthy woman's household, then reveals a deadly secret.

Cast: Merle Tottenham, Kathleen Harrison, Dame May Whitty, Rosalind Russell Dir: Richard Thorpe BW-116 mins, TV-PG

• 2 weeks later...