Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Gone Without Fanfare

Mongo,

I'm glad you ressurected this thread and I hope we can keep it going, too. Like the "Happy Birthday" thread.

Up here in Canada, I don't always hear the passing of these stars and often it comes as quite a surprise to me to hear that a cherished actor or actress has gone.

We only heard about Fay Wray passing away because she came from Cardston, Alberta and had visited that town and Toronto only 2 years before her death. Otherwise, we would have never known a thing about her.

And, if we rely on the "In Memorium" segment of the Academy Awards show, we will be no further ahead. When Jan Sterling and Virginia Grey died, they weren't included at all. The Motion Picture Academy is a big, gigantic **** to me. After the Canda Post Office and every airline on Earth, the AMPAS is next on my 'sh-t' list!!!! But that's another story.....

Larry

It's been confirmed that actor Lon McAllister has passed away at the age of 82 on June 11th.

The diminutive, boyish looking actor appeared in about 40 films (many bit parts). He took flight in such movies as "Home in Indiana", "Winged Victory", "The Red House" with Edward G. Robinson, "Stage Door Canteen", "Scudda Hoo! Scudda Hay!", "The Big Cat" with Peggy Ann Garner, etc.

Also did some TV work. He last appeared on screen in 1953, and tried stage work which didn't pan out.

He eventually became a successfull real estate agent.

Mongo

I neglected to mention that Lon McCallister co-starred with Shirley Temple in the movie "The Story of Seabiscuit" which I believe was aired on TCM a few months ago.

Mongo

It was seems to happen in threes;A veteran stage ,film and TV actor.

Lane Smith (69)of Lou Gehrigs disease Monday 6/13,played President Nixon In TV Drama "The Final Days" also played Perry White in "The New Adventures of Superman with Dean Cain.But I liked him as the Southern Lawyer(DA) opposite Joe Pesci in "My Cousin Vinny"

Wow, that is sad news about Lane Smith he was one in a long list of character actors that did great (un-noticed by most) work. A guilty pleasure of mine that I enjoyed him in was the Son-in-Law.

It is a shame no pictures can be posted, for quick references. Sometimes I cannot recall a face, with just a name, and a few movie titles. I must agree with garboloygrant (in a post from November). Mongo is a real treasure for these boards, and its members. Thank you Mongo, and to every one who contributes and comments, to further the knowlege, and inform us, of the dearly departed.

Though we all must die one day, it is still very sad to hear of these passings.

Gone without fanfare, indeed. Wake up Academy!!

Thank you stargzn. I appreciate the kind words.

Regarding actor Lane Smith I also want to mention that the actor appeared in over 70 films, including "Network", "Resurrection", "Prince of the City", "Frances", "Places in the Heart", etc.

The actor will be missed.

Mongo

Oops:

I've mis-spelled the name of late actor Lon McCallister as Lon McAllister. Sorry for the error.

Mongo

Hey Mongo,

Well, 40 lashes with a wet noodle for you!!!

Seriously, don't worry about it; we've all misspelled names and words here, certainly me.....

I wonder if 40 lashes with a wet noodle actually hurts???

It was Ann Landers favourite punishment, figuratively speaking...

Let us know!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry

Hello Everyone,

A friend from San Francisco has just told me that Ron Randall died from a stroke on June 11th.

He was originally an Australian actor and what little I know of him, he was a good friend of Judith Anderson, another Australian.

I also heard that during the making of "King of Kings", Viveca Lindfors became quite smitten with him and when I saw that movie about 5 years ago, you can see it in their film chemistry......

R.I.P. Ron Randall

Larry

Actor Ron Randell, hailed from Australia, and made over 50 films. He recently passed away at age 86.

The good-looking actor began his Hollywood career in the early 1940s in such movies as "It Had to be You" with Ginger Rogers, "The Sign of the Ram", "The Loves of Carmen" with Rita Hayworth, "Kiss Me Kate" as Cole Porter, "The Story of Esther Costello" with Joan Crawford ( a film rarely seen), "King of Kings", "The Longest Day", etc.

He also played Bulldog Drummond and the Lone Wolf. He was last on screen in 1983.

Also did stage work and guest starred on many popular TV programs.

Mongo

Lorna Thayer, the actress who played the waitress in the hilarious chicken salad sandwich scene with Jack Nicholson in "Five Easy Pieces" has died at age 85, on June 4th.

Miss Thayer passed away of Alzheimer's disease at the Motion Picture and Television Country Home.

Among her other films were, "The Lusty Men" with Susan Hayward, "Women's Prison", "The Beast with a Million Eyes", "I've Lived Before", "I want to Live!", "Buddy Buddy", "Frankie and Johnny", etc.

She was widowed with two daughters.

Mongo

How sad, just a month ago we lost the voice of "Gopher" from the Winnie the Pooh films, Howard Morris. Now we have lost two more - Tigger & Piglet. Paul Winchell & John Fiedler respectively the past few days. I grew up with these actors and their voices. Thank you all for the childhood memories.

bggalaxy, it's ironic how the 3 performers, Howard Morris, Paul Winchell and John Fiedler were in the business for many years, and yet they are most remembered for voicing Disney cartoon characters.

John Fiedler, particularly, appeared in over 60 films, guested on numerous TV shows and also did stage work.

The bald pated, helium voiced character actor was in "12 Angry Men" as juror #2, "A Raisin in the Sun", "That Touch of Mink", "The Odd Couple" as Vinny, "True Grit", "Harper Valley P.T.A.", "Seize the Day", etc.

He also appeared on "The Bob Newhart Show" as his patient Mr. Peterson.

And he played Eddie on a hilarious episode of "The Golden Girls", who the ladies couldn't get enough of (he had the aroma of steak).

But of course, his crowning achievement was entertaining millions of kids as he voiced Piglet.

Mr. Fiedler died a bachelor at the age of 80.

Mongo

John Fielder was a welcome face in everything he did. One of my earliest memories is actually of Fielder in a Star Trek episode, "Wolf at the Door," and I recently viewed 12 ANGRY MEN again and especially appreciated the unique qualities that gave Fielder so much work over such a long period of time. And what would Piglet be without him? Hopefully nobody will copy his voice for future Pooh productions. Like Mel Blanc, imitators are just that, and Fielder was an original. He will be missed.

The kids told me the voice of Tigger died but I didn't know who he was and they couldn't recall the name they heard. But I wouldn't have known it till I read this thread-I LOVE the Bob Newhart show and fondly remember Mr. Peterson. Oh what a lost for us and his family. One doesn't get to work so long sometimes in Hollywood I'm so glad he did.

John Fiedler already!

The first time I ever saw him, all I could think was..."Did Percy Helton have a son?"

They looked and sounded a lot alike, though John was a bit trimmer.

Fiedler was so great in everything, a wonderful character actor and comedic actor of great aplomb, and occasionally could even be quite chilling [spoiler ahead] as in that episode where he is taken in to the police station for a minor offense, on "The Alfred Hitchcock Presents" series called "Incident in a Small Jail", where he wails and whines about how the guy in the next cell might be a killer and hurt him, and then when Fiedler is let out, he gets in his car and we find that he is the murderer of young women, as he's been carrying a big knife in his glove compartment the whole time.

Whew....scary stuff and I'm glad I have it on videotape to rewatch!

As Mr. Peterson on "The Bob Newhart Show" Fiedler was just incomparably funny.

Thanks, John for so much great entertainment!

Fester, I always imagined the same connection to character actor Percy Helton and John Fiedler.

Yet I don't believe that the two actors ever starred in a film together.

I guess the casting director was asleep at the wheel.

Too bad, it would have been ideal.

Mongo

Hi,

The Hollywood Reporter today announced that Ernest Lehman died.

He was a very great writer and producer. Some of his films were Sabrina (1954), Executive Suite (1954) and North By Northwest (1959).

He also was involved with West Side Story (1961) and The Sound of Music (1965) and helped 'bump' up the script of Sunset Blvd. (1950). He expanded the Gloria Swanson part, which was apparently just a supporting role when Mae Murray and Pola Negri were offered it....

Incredibly, he remarried in his 80's and had a child at 83. No word on how old his new wife is!!!!

R.I.P. Ernest Lehman

Larry

Just to add that the talented Mr. Lehman, was nominated for 6 Oscar nominations, and although he didn't win, he received an Honorary Academy Award in 2001.

He also won a Golden Globe Award for "Sabrina".

And he won 5 Writers Guild of America Awards for his screenwriting.

By the way Larry, he doesn't have a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, which would have been nice while he was still alive.

Rest in Peace, Mr. Lehman.

Mongo

Helo Mongo,

Another worthy contributor to Hollywood's artistry not recognized on The Hollywood Walk of Fame.... Unbelieveable!!!

I'll have to mention that in passing in September.

I'm glad he got an Oscar and several writing awards.

Larry

Hello Everyone,

I have just heard that Frances Langford has died from congenital heart problems. She was 92....

A wonderful warm singing voice remeniscient of Alice Faye and Kaye Starr. I believe she made some films but is mostly known for her TV work and for entertaining the troops in WWII and Korea.

She was a good friend of Bob Hope and Martha Raye.

R.I.P. Frances Langford

Larray

Oh, that's a shame. Condolences to her family and friends!

How ironic that she was just on TCM, in at least three different movies, in the past couple of weeks. I enjoyed her singing all those great George M. Cohan songs in "Yankee Doodle Dandy (1942)" on July 4th, of course. But I also saw her in "Born to Dance" with James Stewart & Buddy Ebsen (among others) and my favorite of hers, which was "The Bamboo Blonde (1946)".

Thanks for letting us know, Larry.

yes, my sympathies to her family & friends she played

herself in the movie "The Glen Miller Story" with

Jimmy Stewart she was terrific! lolite.