Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Gone Without Fanfare

I'm happy to report that the lovely Frances Langford went out with plenty of fanfare. Her death at 92, got the full treatment from AOL, most TV news stations, radio, magazines and in the newspapers, more-so than the late June Haver.

The petite blonde singer introduced us, through movies,to

the songs "You Made Me Love You", "I'm in the Mood for Love", "You Are My Lucky Star", "Broadway Rhythm", and "Hooray for Hollywood".

She made close to 30 films and is especially remembered for belting out "Over There" in "Yankee Doodle Dandy".

She was known as "The Sweetheart of the Fighting Fronts" since she joined Bob Hope in numerous USO shows entertaing troops during WWII.

One of her three husbands was the handsome actor Jon Hall who co-starred in exotic movies with Maria Montez.

The sweet, generous and lovely Miss Langford lived life to it's fullest, which she so richly deserved.

Rest in peace, dear lady.

Mongo

I'm not sure this has been brought up already - I've been unable to hit this board lately, but James Doohan past away this past week. "Scooty" was a favorite of mine on Star Trek. He's gone on to a new frontier.

bggalaxy, it was sad that we lost James Doohan who played the wonderful Scotty on "Star Trek" all those years. He said he loved when fans of the show would scream out "Beam me up Scotty" when they saw him.

And although he was ill, he showed up for his honor on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

Rest in peace "Scotty".

Mongo

Oops, Scotty not Scooty. I live in Seattle and James Doohan made his home up here so we saw a lot of him. He wasn't one to shy away of helping out with his name.

Hi,

Scotty did go out with some fanfare up here in Calgary.

There was extensive news coverage of his passing because we have a town southeast of here called "Vulcan" and it has a large 'Star Trek Museum' and 'Enterprise' model there.

Every year there are thousands of "Trekkies" there. And, I believe James Doohan visited there a few years ago.

Larry

Recently found out that actor Robert Clarke passed away at age 85 on June 11th.

He appeared in the 1950s cult science fiction and horror films "The Man from Planet X" and "The Hideous Sun Demon".

Was also in a string of films for RKO including "Zombies on Broadway", "The Body Snatcher" w/Karloff, "Bedlam" as Dan the Dog, "Return of the Badmen" and also two movies directed by Ida Lupino, "Outrage" and "Hard, Fast and Beautiful", etc.

Mr. Clarke, who played young gents usually courting the ladies, was married to Alyce King of the singing King Sisters, for 40 years and they had one son.

He also appeared on the popular "King Family Show" which was a weekly TV series.

Mongo

I had the pleasure of meeting him and got his autograph.

We chatted and I told him I was friendly with DeForrest Kelly (Dr.McCoy) Well, he's gone too.

Character actor Ford Rainey passed away a few days ago at the age of 96.

Mr. Rainey appeared on numerous TV programs, including "The Richard Boone Show" and as Mickey on "King of Queens".

He was also in the films "White Heat", "The Robe", "3:10 to Yuma", "Parrish", "Two Rode Together", "The Sand Pebbles", "The Gypsy Moths", "Halloween II", etc.

He served in the Coast Guard in World War II. Also supported himself as a linesman, logger, and carpenter during the lean years.

He was married over 50 years and had 3 children.

Mr. Rainey's first love was the stage and he performed at age 90 in the play "The Crucible".

Mongo

Hello Everyone,

Hildegarde, the incomparable chanteuse, has died today. She was 99 or 105 depending on what birthdate is correct.

She appeared on many TV shows and specials in the 1940's, 1950's and 1960's and was the premier cabaret singer and supper & nightclub entertainer for nearly 70 years.

She had a great sense of humour about herself and in her last appearance in the 90's, she lamented "Winkles, winkles please be gone and go and visit Sharon Stone!"

Hildegarde had a beautiful, cultured voice and was famous for her long evening gloves and waving a long chiffon scarf from her hand as she sang. She often sat atop a piano also in her act.

R.I.P. Hildegarde.

Larry

Larry, I just read an amusing sory regarding the late cabaret dynamo Hildegarde.

Her friend of 50 years Don Dellair said that when he and Hildegarde were discussing her funeral, she said "It has to be in the evening. If you want it to be in the morning I won't be there because I never get up in the

morning". She was indeed quite a gal.

Her funeral is scheduled for Thursday in New York.

Mongo

Hi Mongo,

That's a great story. It's these little smidgens that I love to hear about the 'stars'.... It keeps them human and humourous.

In the same vain, I once heard a story about Rita Hayworth:

A bitchy fan at a news conference in San Francisco in the 60's asked, "When you get up in the morning and look in the mirror, do you get depressed about losing your looks?"

Hayworth replied, "Not at all, honey, I never get up before noon!"

Her publicist then chimed in with, "Miss Hayworth always calls anyone she dislikes - honey!!!"

Bravo, Rita.... Or should that be Brava, Rita??

Larry

In reremberance of a gentle giant.

Actor Matthew McGrory passed away recently at the age of 32 (of natural causes...so they say). Mr. McGrory was amazing in that he was 7ft 6" tall and wore a size 291/2 shoe. Of course his nickname was Bigfoot.

He was already 5ft tall when he was in kindergarten.

He appeared on the TV shows "Charmed", "Malcolm in the Middle" and HBOs "Carnivale" and in the films "Men in Black II" and a featured role in "Big Fish".

The would be actor was working on a movie of wrestler Andre the Giant, when he died suddenly.

May he rest in peace.

Mongo

Attractive, starlet Dorris Bowdon passed away on August 9th. at age 90.

Miss Bowdon appeared in a few films of the 1930s and 1940s most noteworthy in the classic "The Grapes of Wrath" as Henry Fonda's sister Rosasharn, who was deserted by her husband while she was pregnant. Also in "Drums Along the Mohawk", "The Moon Is Down" (1943) afterwhich she left the screen to raise a family.

She was married to writer/producer, director Nunnally Johnson, close to 40 years up until his death. They had 3 children. Her grandson Jack Johnson became a movie actor, playing Will Robinson in the film "Lost In Space".

May she rest in peace.

Mongo

Hello Everyone,

The newsservices are announcing the death of Brock Peters, who died of pancreatic cancer. He was 78.

He played in one of the best movies ever made, "To Kill A Mockingbird".

He and James Earl Jones and Sidney Portier and Ossie Davis were among the finest black actors in America.

Larry

The Italian cinematographer Tonino Delli Colli passed away 16 August in Rome. He was 82. Being a photographer/sometime artist myself, I've always enjoyed the work of one who can master capturing light and colour on film and ever since I saw The Good, the Bad and the Ugly and Once Upon a Time in the West, I thought Delli Colli's command of colour impressive. For me, he made those two films as well as the later Once Upon a Time in America, a true work of art, photographically. That's not meant to sell Sergio Leone short, I'd never do that. But Leone's personal visions, the extreme close-up or the landscape vista, were fully realized by Delli Colli. His last film, Roberto Beningi's Life is Beautiful was also aided immeasurably by Delli Colli's distinct touch. For me, he's up there with William Daniels, James Wong Howe, Lee Garmes, Karl Freund, Vittorio Storaro and many other giants of the field.

Isn't it sad that so many great people pass away and no one mentions them-not even a paragraph in the papers. I feel so sorry for them and I'm glad we have this topic to remember them so they don't go totally unnoticed. Sue

On this topic I must recognize all those in New Orleans, Gulfport and all the rest who passed away without fanfare in the terrible hurricane Katrina. My condolences to all their remaining families and friends and my deepest sympathies to those who died alone. This was a horrible thing that happened to our sister states and we should all pray for those who are left. And I am terribly sorry for the great city of New Orleans--I just don't think they can rebuild it-it may pass into history as the great city that was. Sue

Hi, everyone:

Yes, elinorkrieger, we must remember all of our neighbors in the Gulf states and pray for those still alive that they will find relief and comfort. It gets you thinking about what is important in life.

You think, there by the grace of God go I. Illinois has had a few killer tornados over the years, but nothing like this. I'm glad the Governor of Illinois is sending help to New Orleans, Louisiana.

As for the rebuilding of New Orleans, I have no idea that the city will be rebuilt, and that it will be beter and more secure than it was before. I know by looking at the pictures, it does not seem that the city can be rebuilt. However, there was a time when another sister town on the Gulf, Galveston, Texas, would never ever be able to rebuilt, but it was.

No one expected the storm that hit Galveston, especially since up until that time, the hurricanes seemed to avoid them. One of their mistakes was they did not have a seawall.

However, on September 8, 1900, the citizens of Galveston found out they were not protected from nature, and the next days, seems like what we are seeing in New Orleans now happened. It looked like a war zone, and no one thought they could rebuild, but they did. Up until now, it has been the worst hurricane disaster in U.S. history.

I'm hoping and praying that the death toll from Katrina won't come anywhere near what Galveston was. But, think about how things were back in 1900. There was no Doppler radar. There were no helicopters, trucks, or all the equipment we have now. Yet, they still were able to rebuild the city and make it stronger and safer, although we are never going to 100% safe from nature.

The main difference between the hurricane that hit Galveston (they did not have names then) and Hurricane Katrina is that they area hit by Katrina encompasses a lot wider area; so, the cleanup is going to take longer.

In these days of Internet and everything faster and faster, we have gotten used to things overnight. But, when you have something of a catastrophic nature like this, things get slowed down and can't move at the fast pace we are used to.

All we can do is pray for the best for the City of New Orleans, Gulfport, Biloxi, and everywhere people were hit and hope for a speedy recovery and for God to give them comfort. Also, we can do what we can by donating money to agencies that are going to help with the relief work, agencies like Salvation Army and Red Cross.

New Orleans was one of the most fun cities are ever visited, with its citizens among the most friendly. I have no doubt the City will rise again, like a phoenix from the ashes, and be bigger and better than before.

Take care everyone. Keep safe.

Deborah

Barbara Bel Geddes seems to have been missed in this topic. She died on Aug. 8th. As I never watched the TV series Dallas that she costarrred in for so long, I only know her from her films in the late 40's thru the 50's. I always thought Barbara was quite luminous. If I was Jimmy Stewart in Vertigo, I never would have bothered with Kim Novak. I would have gladly rushed into Barbara's arms and stayed there quite contentedly. I have a desktop wallpaper of her made from a collage of her pictures that I display quite regularly. I really liked her and hope that she rests in peace.

For your information nodgnoc, the late Barbara Bel Geddes had her own thread regarding her passing.

It's here on page 5 in the General Discussions forum.

Mongo

sue and deborah, I have been glued to CNN for the past few days watching the heartbreaking coverage of Katrina and its aftermath. My heart goes out to all those affected personally by the hurricane.

deborah, your post on the Galveston hurricane of 1900, has raised my spirits. I saw a tv special about that devastating storm and I had forgotten about it. I have great hope that the cities of New Orleans, Biloxi, Gulfport, etc., WILL rebuild.

Sorry this is off-topic, everyone. Just had to respond.

Sandy K

Deborah,

Thanks for the reminder about the devastion Galveston suffered in the early 20th century and then again with Camille in 1969.

I have no doubt New Orleans will rebuild. Having lived through the natural disaster of the Northridge earthquake and seeing what can happen when the folks of a town come together, I suspect the same will happen there.

It is very overwhelming the first few days but then that uniquely American spirit of refusing to accept defeat kicks in and people roll up their sleeves and get to work.

With so much history in that city and that region, I can not imagine the majority of folks abandoning the city to the water and never going back.

The French Quarter (the oldest part of the town and on the highest ground) is still mostly intact and not engulfed in flood water. As long as the Quarter lives, the city will rebuild.

Watching it all on T.V. these past few days is horrifying. Especially since there are people who've been trapped and stranded within the flooded areas, clinging to life. Last night on MSNBC and Fox News they showed the Convention Center and all of the people were begging and pleading just for water. There were people (mostly elderly) who already died there in the aftermath. People were holding their babies begging for help. It's so sick and sad that in this great country this is going on. I'm so glad that FINALLY four days after it happened the President is finally down there getting something done. The National Guard should've been sent down IN FORCE immediately following the disaster. Everyone knew that in a city with over a million residents there would be plenty of people left behind. Not everyone could leave. And the saddest part of all is that these are the poor, sick, and old people that have been left behind. People who weren't able to get out for many reasons. It's been upsetting for sure, I'm just glad that they're getting help. And this is just in New Orleans. In Mississippi and Alabama it's bad too. Amazing and shocking really. God help them all, they're in my prayers. Thankfully the company I work for has been supplying the food for the victims at the Houston Astrodome, and they are matching all contributions that us employees make to the Red Cross. They also donated a large sum of money to the Red Cross aside from what us employees give, which is great since these people need all the help they can get for a LONG time to come. What they're dealing with is unbelieveable really. Not only did they loose everything they had in the world, but now they're trying to save their own lives. Seeing all of this go on it not only breaks your heart but it makes you mad that this can be happening. Those people should've been helped immediately. And I do think the cities will rebuild. It will take years, but they'll be built again, bigger and better.

Thank you all for your very kind and sympathetic additions to my post about Katrina. I know it was off topic but then again it wasn't. You should see the message boards on yahoo-they are just crammed. I'm sure we will all be watching this ongoing drama for a long time to come. Sue

Hello vecchiolarry: Having just returned from vacation, I didn't see your posting about Brock Peters until now; I just posted an announcement that is a bit more lengthy. Thanks for remembering him --- I think he and Davis and Poitier are tops also. On the scene currently, look out for JEFFREY WRIGHT --- I think he is probably the best American actor alive today. I hope we'll be seeing much more of him.

Regina