Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
bansi4

Gone Without Fanfare

Hi Regina,

It's perfectly OK with me to start a special thread on Brock Peters. He deserves it.

After I posted that blurb in "Gone Without Fanfare", I never heard another word about his demise. No more TV reports or newspaper articles, no nothing!!!

How sad that a great talent can be gone and not too many people notice. He was a great actor and a very fine man from what I've heard.

I also have taken notice of Jeffrey Wright - from his role in "Presumed Innocent" years ago to his role in "Angels In America". I've also heard from friends in Britain that he's appeared on London's West End and made the Brits take notice.

Let's hope he achieves stardom in the US.

Larry

Entertainment Weekly did have a blurb about Mr Peters the week after he died. I think it was in Time Magazine too. He was a respected actor.

Bob Denver TV's Gilligan dead at age 70, had Quadruple by-pass surgery last week. He will also remembered as Maynard G. Crebs on TV's "The many lifes of Dobie Gillis" Thought he was cool in Dobie Gillis but never liked Gilligans Island..... vallo

Hi,

Can't believe he was 70. My God, wasn't he the perennial looney teenager just yesterday?????

His silly persona now appears as a philosopher, brain surgeon, rocket scientist compared to what we have now - Ashton Kutcher, Andy Dick and Tom Green.

R.I.P. Mr. Denver

Larry

Character Actor "James Booth" (12/19/27-8/11/05)remembered as PVT.Henry Hook in the movie "ZULU" also in many British productions, French Dressing('64)The man who had power over women(70),The secret to my success(65)also had a reoccurring role on TV's Twin Peaks" and had a Movie "Keeping Mum" that will be released later this year. RIP James Booth. vallo

Happy to report that the wonderful Brock Peters went out with plenty of fanfare. His death was reported on all the major TV stations and in all major magazines and newspapers as well as radio.

It was also noted that he gave the eulogy at Gregory Peck's funeral, since they became good friends.

Mongo

Hello Everyone,

I don't suppose this death will get much fanfare in the US, so:

I just learned that British producer John Brabourne died yesterday. He was an old friend of Nell and mine.

He produced many 'upclass' films, such as "A Passage To India", "Romeo and Juliette", "Murder On The Orient Express" and "Othello".....

He was married to Countess Mountbatten, Lord Mountbatten's daughter, and was a Lord in his own right.

In 1979, his son and mother were killed along with Lord Mountbatten, when the IRA blew up their boat.

R.I.P. Johnnie.

Larry

We lost glamorous actress/singer Constance Moore last week at age 85.

Miss Moore appeared in "I Wanted Wings" with William Holden and Veronica Lake, "You Can't Cheat an Honest Man" as W.C. Field's daughter and in a variety of "B" films. She also co-starred in a "Buck Rogers" serial with Buster Crabbe.

Also appeared in a few TV series.

She was married over 60 years and had 2 children.

Beefy, good-looking actor John Bromfield also passed away last week at age 83.

He was in the films "Sorry, Wrong Number", "Rope of Sand", "The Furies", "Revenge of the Creature", "Hot Cars", etc.

He starred on the TV series "Sheriff of Cochise" and "U.S. Marshal".

He was once married to French beauty Corinne Calvet.

Mongo

Hello Everyone,

Today, nearly everyone in our hotel here in LA is talking about the sudden death of Bernadette Peter's husband, Mickey Wittenberg.

From what I could make out it was an accident in southern France of some sort.

Poor Bernadette; she is so very talented and from what I've heard, a very nice person.

Larry

I read about the death of Bernadette Peters husband today on the imdb. So sad. My husband met Bernadette once when she came into the music store where he used to work. He said she was tiny, with LOTS of curly hair and very, very sweet. My thoughts are with her today.

Sandy K

Louis Nye (92) passed away on Sunday 10/09/05 remembered best for the Steve Allen (Hi,Ho Steverino) show and "your show of shows".Movies included The Wheeler Dealers(60) Good Neighbor Sam(63) A Guide to a married man (64) and it's a mad,mad,mad,mad world".also played Sonny Drysdale on the Beverly hillbillies" most resently on HBO's "Curb your Enthusiam" one of Hollywoods top comics in the 1960's. RIP Mr.Nye.

vallo

Hi Vallo,

Thank you for posting this remembrance of Louis Nye......

I just now heard about his death. What a great talent he was; just seeing him brought a smile to our faces and then to have him speak, and in perfect timing!, was a joy....

I'm sure he is greeting Steve Allen now with "Hi Ho, Steverino!!"

R.I.P. Louis.

Larry

Hello Everyone,

The news programs are announcing the death of Skitch Henderson today at the age of 87. He died in his sleep last night.

Mr. Henderson was a great musician and conductor, who was on TV many, many times during the 50's and was once married to Faye Emerson.

He gave concerts at Carnegie Hall in NYC for the last few years. Regis Philbin said on his show today that he just saw Skitch last week and he looked well.

R.I.P. Skitch

Larry

Hello again,

Also it is being announced in Canada that Lloyd Bochner has died in Santa Monica a few days ago of cancer. He was 81.

Lloyd was a Canadian actor who made good in Hollywood and usually played the suave, debonair villain.

He is also the father of actor Hart Bochner.

R.I.P. Lloyd

Larry

Larry, I recall the gifted Skitch Henderson when he led the orchestra for the old "Tonight Show" with Steve Allen, Jack Paar and even Johnny Carson.

On the AOL report today, Mr. Henderson was once quoted:

"I watch the public like a hawk. If I see boredom, I worry. You can tell by the applause: There's perfunctory applause, there's light applause, and then there's real applause.

When it's right, applause sounds like vanilla ice cream with chocolate sauce".

I like that.

Also sorry to hear of the passing of character Lloyd Bochner. He put in some fine performances during his career.

May the two gents rest in peace.

Actress Mildred Shay died on October 15th. at the age of 94.

Nicknamed "Hollywood's Pocket Venus" the shapely actress appeared in close to 40 films, mostly in small parts.

She is remembered as Joan Crawford's French maid Helen in "The Women" and she also dubbed Garbo's voice in several scenes in "Grand Hotel".

Miss Shay's motto was "dance and have fun", and very popular in tinseltown, she was hot to trot.

She had an affair with none other than Cecil B. DeMille who wined and dined her at his Paradise Ranch, feeding her oysters, complete with the pearls still attached.

Once Errol Flynn got her to his apartment he stripped down to just a shirt and his sock garters holding her captive before she succumbed to his advances.

Other affairs, some of which made headlines, included Johnny Weissmuller, Victor Mature, Roy Rogers (Roy Rogers?), Glenn Ford, Walter Pidgeon, etc.

Married 3 times, the third was the charm and lasted over 45 years producing a daughter.

She was on stage at the Academy Awards in 2003 with Sharon Stone who told her "Mildred you look beautiful".

Mongo

I was just browsing the IMDB on a film called Freckles from 1960. It's a dull, plodding movie about a young man trying to guard a forest from poachers and thieves.

This is where it gets weird. The two actresses in the movie both died on June 4. 2005. One of them is Lorna Thayer, famous for her uptight waitress role in Five Easy Pieces. The other is Carol Christensen.

Now, what are the odds of them dying on the same day, although their ages are decades apart?

Cybrspacy, that certainly is a coincidence regarding the two actresses.

By the way I posted the passing of Lorna Thayer here on this thread. It's on page 4, if your interested.

Pat Morita (73) best remembered as Mr. Miyaghi in the Karate Kid films , also as "Arnold" in the Happy Days series. Made over 150 TV and Film roles from 1967's "Thoroughly Modern Millie to 3 Films in post production for 2006 release.

Started as a stand-up comedian prior to films. He will be missed. R.I.P. Mr. Morita

vallo

vallo, do you know how Pat Morita died? Seems to me it must have been sudden if he was still working in films that have yet to be released.

Heavy set brunette,Wendie Jo Sperber has passed away after a eight year battle with breast cancer,she was in her 40's. Best remember co-staring with Tom Hanks In Bosom Buddies also with Hanks in the movie Bachelor Party. other credits include:Spielberg's 1941,all three "Back to the Futures,Moving Violations,and I wanna hold your hand".TV credits-Murphy Brown,Will and Grace,and Private Benjamin.Very funny women.RIP Wendie Jo.

vallo

She never really 'took off' like Tom Hanks or the other guy from Bosom Buddies, a very funny show. But she has been showing up in sitcoms in recent years and I am sorry to say I didn't notice her in any of the movies she was in.

But I have always liked her. She was never the stereotypical beauty...like Donna Dixon from the same show, although she too disappeared...and we all know what happens to ordinary people in Hollyweird.

I have never read a word about her illness, and am very, very sorry she had it and very sorry that she has lost her fight with a despicable illness that doesn't get the attention it should from a male-dominated medical industry.

god speed, Ms. Sperber.