Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
28Silent

What they had in had on t.c.m. import last nite

Record of a Tenement Gentlemen was made right after the war.As I stated before t.c.m. shows a little too many Asian films, hypocritically oppose to balancing out foreign films.They don't.After  2001 hypocritically liberal correct against showing any more new films of the Third Reich, in Germany and Australia.Worst they won't show one made right after the war, black Market themes and rubble themes to Rubble.I'm guessing it's too soon after the war.They might draw offense from those who could question why the actor is not being punished for supporting a murderous dictatorship.T.cm. waits till 20 to 30 years after words.Yet they will show films made under Tojo and Hirohito and right after words and not fear drawing offense?What a double standard.Are they making up, t.c.m., for bombing Japan? that they were being influenced by Germany? both countries were guilty.Not one over the other.By showing films made before and during the war, made in Germany and Australia, as well as after the war, with other r foreign  countries, you m give the audience member a better understand of what was going on, instead of demoting these films as poison  to look at or it won't make an audience or it won't make ratings .Time Warner is guilty of this in other classic film genres in our country.

Ummmm...what?

He has complained and speculated about the same thing for years now;

1) TCM doesn't show pre-end-of- war pro-3rd Reich propaganda films as well as post-war anti-US (occupation) films.  

2) TCM does show 'too many Asian films",  especially films from Japan that are either pre-war or post-war films.  

Now the reasons why TCM is doing this (assuming they are), is because the programming director's wife is from Japan and he wants to keep a solid relationship with her grandparents!     :wacko:

• Haha 1

Well, the TCM Imports almost invariably come from the Janus/Criterion library, which has a lot of Japanese titles. Has anyone done a breakdown of the country of origin of those shown on TCM Imports? While I agree that there are a lot from Japan (which I have no problem with, as they tend to be the foreign language films I like the most), there are plenty of French and Italian films, as well. They've also shown several German language films in the past couple of years, like the Fassbinder titles and the Wenders films, as well as Finnish, Russian, Indian, and Chinese movies. 

I'm not sure why Australia was included in the OP, as TCM Imports shows foreign language titles, and most Australian films are in English.

And I don't see how "political correctness" has anything to do with any of this.

• Like 1

So far (January-July) in 2017 on TCM Imports:

Chinese = 5

Italian = 5

Japanese = 11

French = 7

Danish = 2

Belgian = 1

Swedish = 2

German = 3

Spanish = 2

Finnish =2

Japan is the country with the most shown, but that's still 11 out of 40...meaning most of them are not Japanese.

• Like 2

Chinese = 5

Italian = 5

Japanese = 11

French = 7

Danish = 2

Belgian = 1

Swedish = 2

German = 3

Spanish = 2

Finnish =2

Japan is the country with the most shown, but that's still 11 out of 40...meaning most of them are not Japanese.

Thanks for this info.   What I find most surprising is that all of the films are either from European countries or China \ Japan.

I only point this out because if there was some type of PC conspiracy a foot,  I might wonder why there are no Iranian films.  (as well as African,  South American,  etc...).

Thanks for this info.   What I find most surprising is that all of the films are either from European countries or China \ Japan.

I only point this out because if there was some type of PC conspiracy a foot,  I might wonder why there are no Iranian films.  (as well as African,  South American,  etc...).

Well, like I mentioned earlier, the TCM Imports seem to come almost exclusively from those titles carried by Criterion/Janus, and they don't have as many titles from non-European, non-Japanese and Chinese countries.

• Like 1

I think that there was a British one in there too this year, Meantime, which struck me as a bit odd since its not a foreign-language film.

Yeah, you're right. But the accents were thick!  ;)

It's also a Criterion release. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/31/2017 at 3:40 PM, LawrenceA said:

Chinese = 5

Italian = 5

Japanese = 11

French = 7

Danish = 2

Belgian = 1

Swedish = 2

German = 3

Spanish = 2

Finnish =2

WAIT! Ya know here Lawrence, I see nary a single Norwegian one on your tally here!

AND, like a certain someone recently said about 'em, how come we can't have more of THEM here on TCM, and let ALONE in all of the good ol' U.S. of A.?!!

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

• Haha 1

On 7/31/2017 at 4:26 PM, jamesjazzguitar said:

He has complained and speculated about the same thing for years now;

1) TCM doesn't show pre-end-of- war pro-3rd Reich propaganda films as well as post-war anti-US (occupation) films.  

2) TCM does show 'too many Asian films",  especially films from Japan that are either pre-war or post-war films.  

Now the reasons why TCM is doing this (assuming they are), is because the programming director's wife is from Japan and he wants to keep a solid relationship with her grandparents!     :wacko:

TCM has shown the Showa era Japanese film the 47 Ronin before and has shown a lot filmed by Ozu filmed during the occupation of Korea and China. As for Third Reich films, that's a little more uh.... :wacko: odd but it would make sense for them to do a block of Riefenstahl documentaries or something. :lol: 

On 7/31/2017 at 5:12 PM, LawrenceA said:

Well, the TCM Imports almost invariably come from the Janus/Criterion library, which has a lot of Japanese titles. Has anyone done a breakdown of the country of origin of those shown on TCM Imports? While I agree that there are a lot from Japan (which I have no problem with, as they tend to be the foreign language films I like the most), there are plenty of French and Italian films, as well. They've also shown several German language films in the past couple of years, like the Fassbinder titles and the Wenders films, as well as Finnish, Russian, Indian, and Chinese movies. 

I'm not sure why Australia was included in the OP, as TCM Imports shows foreign language titles, and most Australian films are in English.

And I don't see how "political correctness" has anything to do with any of this.

He probably included Australia as Walkabout and the Car that Ate Paris have been TCM Imports before.

1 minute ago, Gershwin fan said:

He probably included Australia as Walkabout and the Car that Ate Paris have been TCM Imports before.

I recall those being shown (Walkabout has been on a few times, and is scheduled again in March as a TCM Underground showing), but I didn't recall them being on TCM Imports.

3 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

I recall those being shown (Walkabout has been on a few times, and is scheduled again in March as a TCM Underground showing), but I didn't recall them being on TCM Imports.

• Like 1

That the films largely come from Janus Films/The Criterion Collection is totally correct but also it's because there aren't so many films from Nazi Germany and post-war Germany that are readily available to programmers to use.  It would require a great deal of resources from TCM itself beyond its means to specially acquire some of this stuff.  Just as noteworthy, Japanese cinema (and Italian cinema as well) rebuilt itself much, much faster than German cinema did; it started its new Golden Age relatively quickly, many of its brightest talents continued working as soon as the war ended, while German cinema was a shambles for many years after the war.  Japan was one of the titan countries in film production since the 1930s and it resumed that status quickly while German cinema never really regained its past status, even with the New German Cinema era.

It would be interesting to see some of this stuff but it's not a deliberate decision to ignore it.

• Thanks 1