Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Ford at Fox... and RKO, and MGM, and WB, and Columbia...

Film_Fatale

Oh yes, do rent or buy *Pilgrimage* I would love to read what you think of it. A remarkable film and one of the best performances ever by an actress.

Thank you so much for those great pictures! I love collecting images from his films. That is another reason to get the massive box set: the book included in it is chock full of glorious pictures from the Fox films, many of which I have never seen before. It's mesmerizing.

Hi, Jackie! -- Wonderful photos!

Thanks for the compliment, FrankG. But when it takes me an hour and a half

to write a couple of lines about a great master like Ford, it's time to go to sleep!

I know the feeling. I will often spend hours composing my thoughts and words in

a serious post. I can't just bang them out in minutes. I wish that I could. I guess

it could be worse, I could say that I can't write unless I'm on a plane or vacation. :) ( :P )

Can you get two people any better looking than the sulky Mr. Mature and the

sultry Miss Darnell?

Not bad. Linda is one of my top five actresses.

Rio Grande

riogrande12.jpg

riogrande11.jpg

riogrande13.jpg

riogrande14.jpg

riogrande15.jpg

riogrande28.jpg

riogrande29.jpg

riogrande16.jpg

riogrande17.jpg

riogrande18.jpg

riogrande19.jpg

riogrande20.jpg

riogrande21.jpg

riogrande22.jpg

riogrande23.jpg

riogrande24.jpg

riogrande25.jpg

riogrande26.jpg

riogrande27.jpg

riogrande10.jpg

Besides General Sheridan there is another mysterious character in Rio Grande and in those screencaps you just posted---Captain St. Jacques played by an actor named Peter Ortiz. He's the one with the eyepatch. I love these figures that pop up without much explanation and yet they manage to convey a real, three dimensional person, if shrouded in mystery.

Besides General Sheridan there is another mysterious character in Rio Grande

and in those screencaps you just posted---Captain St. Jacques played by an actor

named Peter Ortiz. He's the one with the eyepatch. I love these figures that pop up

without much explanation and yet they manage to convey a real, three dimensional

person, if shrouded in mystery.

Cue the chorus: I haven't watched enough Ford to speak with any authority about

the lesser characters who are shrouded in mystery, but I have watched

Rio Grande. :P

The "coffee" scenes between Kirby and General Sheridan provide us with a little bit

of info about the General's personality and relationship with Kirby, but he's primarily

there to push Kirby's personal story along. We learn of Kirby's son and their distant

relationship in the first "coffee" scene and Kirby speaks of his wife and Bridesdale

in the second "coffee" scene. Kirby is comfortable telling the General about his

private life.

Hi Jackie! Wonderful pix from The Searchers and Fort Apache. As I watch the films more and more I begin to appreciate that even minor characters have obviously been fleshed out during pre-production. Ford would work closely with the screenwriter and create detailed "back stories" for all of the main and many supporting characters, a painstaking procedure that paid off in more three-dimensional presentations. "Stock" comic characters, for instance, are rarely only that. They are human beings and sometimes entrusted with conveying important exposition, plot points or "clues" that might ordinarily be given to a lead. Ernst Lubitsch was also famous for this attention to minor characters (the waiter in the beginning of Trouble in Paradise and his confrere in the workers cafe in Ninotchka, for example).

Something about "Captain St. Jacques" makes me think of John Carradine's "Hatfield" in Stagecoach. There is an aristocratic bearing about him and something sort of forlorn, the air of man who once possessed a gracious life and lost everything. He probably has no more than one minute total of significant screen time yet I sense all of this.

The first character like this I noticed who jumped out at me and suggested a mysterious back story and connection with one of the leads was George O'Brien's "Capt. Sam Collingwood" in Fort Apache. Ford never explains what the past relationship was between him and Henry Fonda's "Lt. Col. Owen Thursby" but there are hints that at one time they may have been close, or at least shared something significant together. Perhaps their training or time in battle. But Thursby acts aloof around his old friend and even as if he resented being in the same troop or post. I love speculating about it because it remains a mystery and makes the movie so much richer. Especially because Thursby is a difficult character to see three-dimensionally, he comes off so rigid and as a complete martinet. Yet not quite complete. Not quite. Otherwise, I couldn't find myself respecting him somewhat, despite his monomania.

Miss G,

Concerning back story, one of my favorite moments in "Yellow Ribbon" is almost a throw away unless you are paying attention.

It's the scene where Nathan Brittles and Quincannon are talking and you discover in the sparse dialog between them that Nathan hasn't had a drink since Mrs. Brittles passed away. The way the scene plays you get the impression that Brittles and Quincannon used to be good drinking buddies.

Also puts a different spin on Brittles' attempts to keep Quincannon out of harm's way by sending him to the pub knowing he'll be sent to the brig instead of out with troops.

Looks like the box set is already winning awards. This was just posted in the L.A. Times "Calendar" (2/07/08):

MODEL FORD

John Ford fans are having a field day, what with the DVD set "Ford at Fox" (which recently received a special award from the National Society of Film Critics), and now a John Ford film festival at the Egyptian Theatre, which begins tonight with 1924's "The Iron Horse," his western about the building of the transcontinental railroad (Pictured: Henry Fonda, right). "He was a well-regarded mid-level director up to that point," says historian Robert Birchard, who will introduce the epic. "This is the picture that put Ford on the map. The beauty of the film is in re-creating the experience of building the railroad across the country -- the sense of being there while the railroad is being built." "The Iron Horse," screening tonight at 7:30 at the Egyptian Theatre. (323) 466-FILM or go to www.egyptiantheatre.com

http://www.calendarlive.com/movies/cl-gd-moviescandy7fordfeb07,0,3060820.story

usually i dont like watching westerns, but there are quite a few i will actually watch and enjoy them.

i love all those on your new fav list april!

the top of my fav john ford films are:

1.How Green Was My Valley

2.The Quiet Man

3. Rio Grande

4. Donovan's Reef

5.Mary of Scotland

i have a lot of close honorable mentions, if you want me to list them. heehee!

How nice to have Sweet Tea in Monument Valley! ;)

I love your list. You know why? Because, with the possible exception of Mary of Scotland, these are all John's most "joyful" movies. There is also a lot of love flowing through them. There was real love flowing on Mary of Scotland, Ford's own love for Kate.

usually i dont like watching westerns, but there are quite a few i will actually watch and enjoy them.

I didn't like them so much in the beginning, but now I'm hooked. Especially if they star a certain tall drink of water. ;)

Please do name your "runners up"! Have you seen Wee Willie Winkie? You might like that one, too. I love it to pieces, I think it's one of Shirley Temple's best movies and big Vic MacLaglen is so adorable as the soldier whose wrapped around her wee finger.

I love your list. You know why? Because, with the possible exception of Mary of Scotland, these are all John's most "joyful" movies. There is also a lot of love flowing through them. There was real love flowing on Mary of Scotland, Ford's own love for Kate.

why do you think those are in my top five? heehee! b/c they are mostly romantic! heehee! or did you already know that?

i didnt like some parts to Mary of Scotland, but i just love any kate hepburn movies, and this one is a heavy drama....just my department, except i hated that she never got with her true love, b/c she had an incling toward something else. i always cry to this one. i think i knew about john ford's love for kate, but i had forgotten it until just now. heehee! yes now i remember, b/c i remember in one of her bios that i read of her, that the author talked about that.

I didn't like them so much in the beginning, but now I'm hooked. Especially if they star a certain tall drink of water.

even now i have to really like someone in those westerns or it has to be a real good story, for me to like it, or directed by someone i like....like john ford for example. im way too picky with westerns. heehee!

yes i loooove Wee Willie Winkie!!!! i have basically all of shirley temple's movies, with the exception of a couple i cant find.

my runner ups of his movies are:

Four Men and a Prayer(i loooooove this movie! loretta young and richard greene make such a romantic pair!....no i put this one in my top five somewhere. heehee!)

young mr. lincoln

my darling clementine

3 godfathers

she wore a yellow ribbon(i originally dont like roy rogers movies too much, but this is one grandmama showed me when i was like 5 and i had gotten so into it, i just loved it even though i dont like westerns)

but i like most of his movies, not just these and my top 5.

Four Men and a Prayer(i loooooove this movie! loretta young and richard greene make such a romantic pair!....no i put this one in my top five somewhere. heehee!)

Hi Theresa! They are playing *Four Men and a Prayer* at a theater this Saturday and I really want to see it (I've never watched it before). I have some other stuff to do that day so I'm not really sure I can fit it in but you make me want to see it really bad!

This museum in Queens has been doing a John Ford festival and next up are Four Men and a Prayer and The Seas Beneath, neither of which I've seen. Next weekend I'm definitely going because they will be showing Young Mr Lincoln and My Darling Clementine, and the weekend after that is How Green Was My Valley. So I have potentially 5 movies coming up. I wish you could come too!

Hiya, Spiked Texas Tea -- which ones have you seen frankie?

The horribly sappy Rio Grande and the uninspiring My Darling Clementine. At least Linda Darnell is in My Darling Clementine. :P:D

what riffraff?(as i turn my head both directions as innocent as can be). i dont see any! heehee!

You can't see it with your eyes.

Howdy, Fordy Guns -- They are playing Four Men and a Prayer at a theater this Saturday and I really want to see it (I've never watched it before). I have some other stuff to do that day so I'm not really sure I can fit it in but you make me want to see it really bad!

Make it work. I've heard you're quite good at getting things done. Conjure something up.

You're supposed to say, "Git her done, Reb."

Are you sure about that?

I have some other stuff to do that day so I'm not really sure I can fit it in

If you don't go, you won't be able to show your face as long as you live.

IF you really saw Rio Grande you'd know that.

So you have found me out. Yo!

horsesoldiers1.jpg

The horribly sappy Rio Grande and the uninspiring My Darling Clementine. At least Linda Darnell is in My Darling Clementine.

you said you liked Random Harvest, and that is more sappy than Rio Grande and My Darling Clementine put together. heehee!

what riffraff?(as i turn my head both directions as innocent as can be). i dont see any! heehee!

oh i was beginning to wonder. ;) maybe if i try really hard....you know, with the eyes squinting, my nose shriveled up, really trying to see it, just maybe i could. heehee!

i wish i could see them with you april!

i so hope you will have a good time watching them on the big screen thoug. dont forget to bring some hot tea to warm you up and make you nice and cozy when watching them. it makes the environment just right! ;)

you will have to tell me what you think of Four Men and a Prayer. it is such a great romance and mystery, and it has great humor scenes, which will make you really laugh!

you said you liked Random Harvest, and that is more sappy than Rio Grande and My Darling Clementine put together. heehee!

I said I liked Random Harvest? I don't remember saying such a thing. That doesn't sound like me at all. You must have me confused with someone else. I haven't seen Random Harvest yet. Who's in it? Grace Kelly? I bet her make-up is dazzling in the picture.

oh i was beginning to wonder. maybe if i try really hard....you know, with the eyes squinting, my nose shriveled up, really trying to see it, just maybe i could. heehee!

Obstination. Do you know how to handle a gun?