Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LornaHansonForbes

Why do they play that Sugarland promo when they never use their music?

You guys know what I'm talking about, yeah?

for the last couple of years they've shown a promo commercial several times on TCM wherein Two brothers from a country music band called Sugarland compose intro music for TCM,

except as far as I can tell the theme we see them recording and composing has never ever ever ever ever has been used in any form for any introduction on the network ever.

They don't use the theme for the evening showings, the afternoon showings, the late-night showings, 31 days of Oscar, "the essentials", NOIR ALLEY, any interstitials or promos I can think of, and it's not the theme music they use for *those other two people* who introduce movies on TCM from time to time.

It only shows up in the promo which is still in rotation all this time later.

What gives?

• Like 1

There has never been such a promo...in fact, there is no such band as Sugarland...you have hallucinated it all. The expected psychotic break has finally happened. Call the men in the white coats and the butterfly nets.

"They're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee..."

:blink:

• Like 2

There has never been such a promo...in fact, there is no such band as Sugarland...you have hallucinated it all. The expected psychotic break has finally happened. Call the men in the white coats and the butterfly nets.

"They're coming to take me away, ha ha, hee hee..."

:blink:

It was just on!

Imma find the video on YouTube when I have the chance and post it tomorrow.

I mean, I know I am crazy, but I havent reached the hallucination level just yet.

(Just gimme me another couple years of Trump in office and I'll be ready for the guys with the nets)

Is this what you're talking about?

I have never seen this before, as I never watch the channel live, and rarely see any of the promos and what-not that get shown between films.

As for the music, beats me.

:unsure:

• Like 1

You guys know what I'm talking about, yeah?

for the last couple of years they've shown a promo commercial several times on TCM wherein Two brothers from a country music band called Sugarland compose intro music for TCM,

except as far as I can tell the theme we see them recording and composing has never ever ever ever ever has been used in any form for any introduction on the network ever.

They don't use the theme for the evening showings, the afternoon showings, the late-night showings, 31 days of Oscar, "the essentials", NOIR ALLEY, any interstitials or promos I can think of, and it's not the theme music they use for *those other two people* who introduce movies on TCM from time to time.

It only shows up in the promo which is still in rotation all this time later.

What gives?

I know, I know.  I find the fact that they never, ever used this music for promos to be hysterically funny!!!  Maybe the boys had a deal that their interview just had to be shown even if the music was never used. It's another TCM Mystery right up there with Why They Hired T and Why They Make Hosts Shill For The TCM Wine Club.

• Like 1

I know, I know. I find the fact that they never, ever used this music for promos to be hysterically funny!!! Maybe the boys had a deal that their interview just had to be shown even if the music was never used. It's another TCM Mystery right up there with Why They Hired T and Why They Make Hosts Shill For The TCM Wine Club.

Hee hee.

"T"

Oh, the shade!

• Like 1

...maybe Barton Keyes can unlock the mystery...he seems to have something of an inside line to TCM.

You reading this Barton?

It's a nicely shot and cut segment, but good lord, how old is it?  Those guys are probably old men by now!

And it begs the question as to why there is virtually NO new content on TCM!  I suggested that they do a series of segments called "Hollywood in Chicago," "Hollywood in Pittsburgh, "Hollywood in _________" and it fell on deaf ears.  I could name 10 actors who came from Pittsburgh and went on to fame and fortune (Gene Kelly, for one!) but TCM seems more intent on selling us wine than on telling us the story of Hollywood.  Quick show of hands;  which would YOU rather see?

• Like 3

Media release says the music was commissioned for TCM's 20th anniversary.

Not sure but I may have seen the part with the hand cutting out the lettering using an X-acto knife in a separate brief spot; otherwise, yeah, I can't recall the actual promo spot airing independently of the "making of" portion. (P. S. the brick and light strings in the studio remind me of the arty TCM Remembers year-end montages.)

• Like 1

Ha!  I did a bit of research on this group last night and found that the Sugarland group was a twosome --  Kristian Bush and a woman named Jennifer Nettles.  The other brother (Brandon) rarely performed with the group.  Sugarland performed and recorded fairly regularly from 2004 - 2010. However, in 2011 Sugarland was booked to perform at the Indiana State Fair but, before they even got on stage, the roof of the stage collapsed (due to severe wind) killing 7 people and injuring 58 more. Since then the group has been involved as defendants in a number of lawsuits, filed by the families of the people who died or were injured. The rationale for the lawsuits?  Sugarland, even after hearing that severe weather was coming and being advised to cancel the concert, refused to do so.  Additionally, it was suggested that their "rigging plot" for the stage had not been reviewed or approved by local authorities.  Shortly after that Jennifer Nettles went on maternity leave. After the birth of her son she started to record as a solo artist.

You could infer from all of this that TCM decided not to use the music because they wanted to disassociate themselves with a group which was at the center of dozens of lawsuits.  But, if that was the case, why do they run this promo endlessly???

• Like 2

It's a nicely shot and cut segment, but good lord, how old is it?  Those guys are probably old men by now!

And it begs the question as to why there is virtually NO new content on TCM!  I suggested that they do a series of segments called "Hollywood in Chicago," "Hollywood in Pittsburgh, "Hollywood in _________" and it fell on deaf ears.  I could name 10 actors who came from Pittsburgh and went on to fame and fortune (Gene Kelly, for one!) but TCM seems more intent on selling us wine than on telling us the story of Hollywood.  Quick show of hands;  which would YOU rather see?

I'd venture to say that it would take as much time to shoot some LIVING actors talking about classic film as it does to shoot the endless TCM Wine Club promos.  But, heck, how does TCM make money doing that??  New content??  Hey, back in the day, TCM commissioned documentaries on many of the great stars.  When was the last time we saw anything like that?  It's sad because it's just that kind of special programming that made TCM great.  And, not to be indelicate, but TCM had to have been paying a great deal of money to Robert Osborne as host all these years.  Now that he is gone, perhaps they could use a few of those $$$ to create some new interviews and documentaries. Now that would be a fitting tribute to RO!

• Like 3

This enigmatic promo has resurfaced.  I have seen it at least twice recently.  It just aired in fact.  A commercial about the making of a commercial.  A Reality TV piece at best.  I suppose it fits in with some of the pleasant old Vitaphone one-reelers.

• Like 1

That "infomercial" had me waiting to hear new TCM music intros for several different features, or just when they put up the schedule for the next 3 movies coming up. But, LHF you are RIGHT. I have never heard any of those themes used and they seemed like pretty good music since the Sugarland guys explain their classic movie inspiration--King Kong, film noir,...etc. 

It is odd to promote these musical cues and then not run them. I'm glad you posted about it coz I feel the same way...maybe this thread will get read and we'll find out what happened in the "Case of the Mysterious Vanishing Music."

(And I remember that Sugarland incident, but why would TCM keep running the promo if they want to distance themselves? I just saw it a few days ago..)

I think it's as simple as . . . "I need _____ minutes to fill the air time between Wine Club commercials and actual movies.  Hey, the 'Sugarland' piece fits that time slot."  Nobody in TCM production/programming management cares that they never actually aired the purported theme music, apparently.

The PROMO has been airing for years. No idea why it’s never been used to intro any movies. I think they felt it was too weighty to be used as a film intro, but I would use it for certain segments or sets of films. It does not fit with lighter comedies or musicals, but Hitchcock or war films or even epics would be enhanced by using the commissioned intro. ‘Tis a shame all that wondrous creativity going to waste. Even using it late night would be putting it to good use, rather than relegated to mothballs.

Hey, they kept on showing that "heebie-jeebies" promo about pan-and-scan v. letterbox for several more years after everyone on earth (except me) got a widescreen TV and even after Sydney Pollack and Curtis Hanson were both dead. So, I wouldn't expect a little thing like utter lack of relevance to cause the Bush Brothers promo to go away!

• Haha 1

Never mind the widescreen promo, is TCM still filler-showing "100 Years of Movies" from 1997, with the twinkly Citizen Kane music?