Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do you remember your first time?

path40a

That's a shame that Blockbuster isn't carrying classic dvd. I haven't rented a movie in a few years. My local library has a good selection and it's FREE! They don't have a ton of classics, but they have been getting the new classic dvd releases lately.

I usually get my classic film fix from TCM. Our cable company has Fox Movie Channel now, too, which shows some good classics, like Betty Grable and Alice Faye films. Although, the FMC is not as good as TCM, it's nice to see some things that are not in the Turner library.

Sandy K

BTW, I asked the guy at our local Blockbuster (I actually have TWO within walking distance!) if I could request a movie for them to stock, e.g. more classics, specific titles, etc.. He said I could, but that it wouldn't do any good. All the movies they carry are chosen by corporate and sent to them (quantities too?).

I don't know whether to believe him or not. I mean, shouldn't BB make allowances for regional preferences etc.. Though, maybe they do. However, shouldn't they accept feedback and/or requests in case (e.g.) they get a whole lot of requests for the same film at the same store???

Hmmm....I think the first movie I ever saw in a movie theater was Fantasia when I was around three years old. I don't remember much besides being fascinated by how magical it was.

Now, as far as the classics go....my mother was the one who passed her love of them to me. Before VCR's came out she would wake me up in the middle of the night with a hot cup of tea or cocoa to watch movies such as The Uninvited, Rebecca, The Enchanted Cottage, Portrait of Jennie and MANY others. I will never forget those special times with my mom. Now, as a mother myself I'm trying to pass along the love of the classics to my 3 sons. Not an easy task with all of the movies out today that leave nothing to the imagination. My 11yr. old (middle son) is showing signs of appreciating classic movies. We watched Arsenic and Old Lace and he just LOVED it. Kept yellin' "CHARGE" and crackin' up...lol. He also loved Harvey and Ghost Breakers starring Bob Hope. It makes me soooo happy to see my kids enjoying movies that most kids their age would never see (or appreciate). Hey, I'm only 32 for that matter and most of my friends my age know nothing of the classics either!

On another note.....someone had mentioned Netflix for renting classic DVD's. I tried it out this summer during my recovery period from a herniated disk (my neck) surgery and really enjoyed the service. They had almost all of the classics I looked for, and they sent them out ASAP. No late fees....you can keep the movie as long as you want. Liked it so much I'm still using the service.

Well....just signed up to this forum yesterday and I'm soooo thrilled to have found it. So nice to meet others who enjoy the classics as much as I do!!

My love of classics began with my father. When I was a kid and would go to the video store with him, and he would always pick out some old comedy for me to watch, like Laurel and Hardy, Abbott and Costello, The Marx Bros. etc. I grew up watching these comedy classics and that led to a love of classic film, which, luckily for me began at an early age. I remember segueing from the comedies to the musicals, like Fred and Ginger and the M.G.M. extravaganzas of the 50's. And from there it has just grown. Before discovering AMC, and then TCM, I remember watching the old Abbott and Costello movies on NY's WPIX, local channel 11 with my grandma on a Sunday afternoon. And I VIVIDLY remember seeing "The Long, Long Trailer" with Lucy and Desi on FOX, local channel 5, as well as "How to Marry a Millionaire," with Monroe, Grable, and Bacall. I also remember taping "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad, World" off of WPN, local channel 9 when I was about ten, and watching it till the tape wore out. It's a shame, but these stations don't show classics anymore. PBS has been a great supporter of classic film, at least in the N.Y., tri-state area. Every Saturday night, PBS, local channel 13, shows at least three or four classics, which is great for the people who don't get TCM.

I honestly feel blessed that I have developed such a love and knowledge of classic film at an early age, and it is forever growing! I know that all of you will agree that it's great to have "the classic movie bug."

• 4 weeks later...

It's pretty cool, but I don't see all that much mentioned about people's ages.

As for me, my father who was born in 1930 taught me much about old movies and music, to the point where by the age of five I had a basic understanding of opera and ragtime and could distinguish between Errol Flynn and Basil Rathbone. This was compounded by showing me a book about movie villains called The Bad Guys, wherein I was drawn to all the classic movie monsters like Lon Chaney, Bela Lugosi, etc., and also learned about classic films like Greed and The Birth of a Nation -- all of this, to repeat, before I turned six! From there it was only a matter of tracking those movies down wherever I could find them -- Phantom of the Opera by seven, Chaplin's Easy Street by eight, and so forth.

It's hard to pinpoint. The first classic movie I remember loving was probably Public Enemy, which I caught by accident on TCM one idle summer morning when I was 13 or so. It grew slowly from there until, at one point, I was watching 40-50 movies a week.

The absolute best resource I can suggest for films is the public library. I've found some incredible movies on video there that are otherwise hard to find.