Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Actor Robert Hardy (1925-2017)

The British actor Robert Hardy, known for his many portrayals of Sir Winston Churchill, has died at the age of 91.

He also was versatile enough to appear in a couple of productions as Churchill's World War II American counterpart, President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

Hardy co-starred as Cornelius Fudge -- Britain's Minister for Magic -- in four "Harry Potter" movies: "Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets" (2002), "Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban" (2004), "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire" (2005) and "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" (2007).

Robert_Hardy_3485469b.jpg

Hardy                                                             Photo: Andrew Crowley/The Telegraph   

The veteran actor portrayed Churchill numerous times in different dramas, including the 1988 Primetime Emmy Award-winning miniseries "War and Remembrance" -- based on Herman Wouk's sequel to "The Winds of War."

He appeared as FDR in the 2002 British television drama "Bertie and Elizabeth," the story of the parents of Queen Elizabeth II.

Hardy was nominated for a 1980 BAFTA Award for his performances as veterinarian Siegfried Farnon in the long-running British television series "All Creatures Great and Small." The drama, set in the 1930s in Yorkshire in northern England, was based on books by James Herriot.

Among his many other film credits: "Torpedo Run" (1958), "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold" (1965), "How I Won the War" (1967), "10 Rillington Place" (1971), "Young Winston" (1972, in which he played a prep school headmaster), "The Shooting Party" (1985) and "Sense and Sensibility" (1985).

So very sad to hear about Robert Hardy. He was such a talented actor and everybody who worked with him on Potter loved him.

Beloved as Siegfried, terrifying as Charles Augustus Milverton, always a delight RIP Robert Hardy "I must be firm!"https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLxHJxhDIr0&list=PLrGT2_KQ5tI7HdMVqq1dazKXexO3HaRu -

https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2017/08/03/robert-hardy-cornelius-fudge-in-harry-potter-dies-at-91/104254172/

• Like 2

Robert Hardy was so charming as Siegfried Farnon in "All Creatures Great and Small".  I love watching the DVD series.  Even in the scenes where his character was infuriating (blaming James Herriot for things he does himself), he was hilarious and lit up the room.  It's said that his dogs in the show were his pets in real life.  R.I.P.

• Like 2

It's interesting that when Hardy attended Oxford University in the 1940s, his English professor was C.S. Lewis. His Anglo-Saxon (Old English) professor was J.R.R. Tolkien.

• Like 2

Robert Hardy was so charming as Siegfried Farnon in "All Creatures Great and Small".  I love watching the DVD series.  Even in the scenes where his character was infuriating (blaming James Herriot for things he does himself), he was hilarious and lit up the room.  It's said that his dogs in the show were his pets in real life.  R.I.P.

You are correct in your view of Mr. Hardy.  "All Creatures Great and Small"  is a great series to watch and it provides the viewer with a quintessential view of English life in the countryside and the overall love and concern most "Brits" have about their animals, both those they love as pets and those they raise for livelihood.  When I look for a vet to treat my doggies I interview and observe them with "All Creatures Great and Small" as a litmus test for what I want to see expressed in a vets office, their interaction and their staff's interaction with my pets and myself. 

• Like 2

So sorry to hear this.  

Mr. Hardy appeared on many Masterpiece Theatre series, including Elizabeth R; Shoulder to Shoulder; Upstairs Downstairs; The Duchess of Duke Street; and Middlemarch.

1971-ElizabethR-RobertHardy4.jpg

Robert Hardy (as Robert Dudley, Earl of Leicester) and Glenda Jackson in Elizabeth R (1971)

• Like 1

My wife and I always watched All Creatures Great and Small and Hardy was wonderful in that series as you say, Eugenia. Very talented actor of many sensibilities and styles, could be serious or very comedic as the role required.

• Like 1