Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Akira Kurosawa

rebelene66

I am glad too that it has made it to DVD.

I think that the critics of the day did not like this film much, and it wasn't the money maker that the studio had hoped for, so I think it has an undeserved reputation for be a bad film.

I liked it in spite of any of the commonly accepted belief that it is not a good film.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I do not suppose there is any Kurosawa film that I dislike. The Seven Samurai would probably be my favorite, but it was probably the first subtitled film I ever saw as well. Throne of Blood is another favorite as is the film Kurosawa did in Russia Dersu Uzala, which I have not noticed being mentioned in this thread yet, but which I heartily recommend.

• 2 months later...

Recently caught up with Kagemusha, which has been released on blu-ray by Criterion.

I was really surprised with how affecting the movie is, because you don't really realize the full depth of emotions being explored until the last half-hour or so. And then it becomes almost devastating. Obviously, the 3-hour running time goes by so quickly it doesn't feel like a 3-hour movie.

All the more remarkable because this was Kurosawa's return to filmmaking after a prolonged absence; he was finally able to get financing for this thanks to the support of Francis Ford Coppola and George Lucas (who are interviewed for one of the bonus features).

The use of color is quite remarkable, and I suspect the audio also was very deliberately calculated for maximum impact.

• 2 weeks later...

Criterion is doing a 25 disc Kurosawa box for the centenary of his birth. It is to include several films never before released in the US on DVD including Sanshiro Sugata I and II, The Most Beautiful, and The Men Who Tread on Tiger's Tail.

http://www.criterion.com/boxsets/678

It's likely that the DVDs will be movie-only but you really can't argue with what you get in this set (unfortunately, no Ran...you can still get it while it lasts at amazon!)

Jonas,

We've mentioned the AK100 set from Criterion in the "Upcoming Releases" thread in the DVD forum - usually where we post nearly all the info about classic and foreign-language movies being released on DVD and blu-ray.

Hope that helps. Are you getting the set for yourself? It looks like a terrific set for the holidays.

I may. I don't have any Kurosawa DVDs despite having seen most of his films. I really like Criterion's extras which won't be included with these editions but the value of this set (at this time about $13 per film at criterion/$12 per film at amazon) is difficult to pass up.

• 8 years later...
On 4/1/2008 at 8:46 PM, ArchieLeech said:

[seven Samurai|http://www.deepfocusreview.com/Reviews/sevensamurai.asp] is his best. I know, I know. That's what everyone says. But seriously, how can you argue. It's like Kurosawa's career built to that point, then after, moves away from it. Not to say that his work before or after is bad. About 99.9% of his films are masterpieces. Just that this was his epitome. It's a movie I never get sick of watching it. It's my one "stranded on island" movie. [This article best explains why. |http://www.deepfocusreview.com/Reviews/sevensamurai.asp]

Message was edited by: ArchieLeech

Yeah, most action films heavily borrow plot and character elements and cinematography from it. Probably one of the first true action films.

On 3/17/2009 at 9:46 PM, laffite said:

Kurosawa's first color film, Dodes'Ka-den, is finally out on DVD and debuts today on Netflix. A series of vignettes showing life in a slum area. There is no real narrative but the same characters keep showing up. The title is onomatopoetic for the sound of a train as it rolls over the tracks and pertains to the first sequence of the movie in particular, and in a rather sad way, I'm afraid. This movie borders a bit on the depressing but it's easy to keep your head up because this is such a good movie, IMO. This movie doesn't seem to get mentioned much in discussions of K's movies. Maybe it doesn't have a good rep, don't know...but I liked it and am glad to see out on DVD.

I really dislike that one. The r-****-d kid in that one is so annoying and the plot is all over the place. :unsure:

6 minutes ago, Gershwin fan said:

I really dislike that one. The r-****-d kid in that one is so annoying and the plot is all over the place. :unsure:

Yeah, it's probably his most inaccessible movie. You begin to understand why he was having trouble finding backing for his movies when you watch that one. I think they all have some merit to them, but Dodes'ka-den is among my least favorite. I should mention that Kurosawa is my third favorite filmmaker of all time, so I may be a bit biased.

My least favorite of his films is The Most Beautiful, simply because it's a shallow propaganda piece made during the war, and lacking the artistry in the Sanshiro Sugata films or The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail.

2 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

Yeah, it's probably his most inaccessible movie. You begin to understand why he was having trouble finding backing for his movies when you watch that one. I think they all have some merit to them, but Dodes'ka-den is among my least favorite. I should mention that Kurosawa is my third favorite filmmaker of all time, so I may be a bit biased.

My least favorite of his films is The Most Beautiful, simply because it's a shallow propaganda piece made during the war, and lacking the artistry in the Sanshiro Sugata films or The Men Who Tread on the Tiger's Tail.

LOL. You're not the only one who dislikes the Most Beautiful apparently. From IMDB -

Akira Kurowsawa's lowest rated film on IMDb.

• Haha 1

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings