Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

End of TCM

njLarry

First time posting;

I'm an ex avid TCM fan. It's the only channel we watched till they decided to go "digital". Recently our cable company claimd that TCM forced them to move TCM from channel 64 to channel 169 so that TCM could be digital. Now none of our TVs or VCRs can access TCM without a "converter box". Friends who had these converter boxes report lots of problems and lots of folks like me refuse to suffer their inconvience. Why would TCM add such a barrier to viewers? Is there any need to use digital for old films? It seems many viewers in the future will never even find TCM. If I sound angry it's because after years of enjoying great classics, I've had to watch weeks of History Channel commercials.

No charge for the first but 5 bucs a month for addition ones. I don't want one at all, they overheat, make you use another remote and tak away all TV and VCR and remote features. The cable compny claims TCM forced the change so I'd quess the rest of the country will be forced to make the change too.

I have Dish Network Satalite, I have the 250 channel package and it includes TCM along with some other movie channels, I believe its all "degital" until it reaches the receiver at which point its converted to analog signal for todays tvs, When the digital change over come in early 2009 if your on a satilite, Dish, or Direct, or a cable box you shouldn't have any problems, it should down convert the HD signal to Standard definition Theres no excuse for any station to be giving problems coming in on any box, This is not the first I've heard here of folks with cable boxes that don't play nice particularly with TCM . I have yet to read here of anyone saying their Satilite dish had problems showing any station..

I can't speak to your situation directly but within the past year this type of incident was discussed in these Forums once before. A representative of TCM wrote that TCM has no control over where TCM is placed on a cable company's line-up. Nor, as they wrote at the time, does TCM require that TCM be placed in the "digital" tier of channels. (Though that is where many cable companies are migrating the channel.) Here in Los Angeles, TCM was never part of "basic" cable and was only available through the purchase of tiers with expanded programming.

Those terms may have changed in the past 12 months but with all television being transferred to the digital spectrum during the nest 12 months, investing in digital converter box may be an option you should pursue.

It is also possible that your cable company wishes to offer the service of "TCM On Demand" (which is similar to having no-cost "pay-per-view" selections) from the TCM library. If that is the case, it would be necessary to have TCM available on the digital channels as "On Demand" is a digital-only service. Your cable box has to be able to communicate directly with the cable company. And that is only possible with a digital converter box.

All that said, I would still believe that the cable company is wrongly placing the blame on TCM when they told you it was TCM's mandate. The cable company may have various reasons for moving the channel but they are just that - motivations of the cable company and not TCM.

Kyle In Hollywood

I would keep rattling the cable company cage and if they can't get stations to play right, dump them for Dish and probably get more stations for less, they also have a pretty good and getting better, HD line up once you bite the bullet for a HD TV , and they're really promating right now...lol

About your problem with using extra remote controls, Get a true programable remote control. That is you have the ability to program each key by placing the universal head to head with the extra remote you have. This works in case the universal don't recognize the codes from what you are programming from.

I have 2 programables, a Radio Shack 6 in 1 (it has JP1 capability) and a Sony RM-VL600 in which I got my TV, 2nd VCR, an aux Radio Shack cable box (for the 2nd VCR), Directv, DVD player, antenna rotator (not for TV use), Home automation (X10), CD player, room air conditioner, VGA to TV converter all to work with just 1 remote control.

This avoids "remote clutter" and you will always have your original remotes in new condiition to use in emergency.

Welcome to the boards. Once again, a cable company is not telling the truth. As somebody else has pointed out, TCM has no control over channel placement. The cable companies just want to move popular channels to a digital tier so people will switch. When everything goes digital in 2009 they'll have to "downconvert" the digital signal to eveyone who still has analog cable and they'd just love to save themselves the trouble.and get everyone to go digital now. At some point they may just drop it entirely and then everyone will have to be digital anyway.

As for the remotes, I can't speak for your cable company, but most of the digital boxes have a "universal" remote which can be programmed to operate most tv's and recorders.

Kyle,

I get TCM On Demand on Sacramento cable ( comcast ) and there are only 4-5 films to select from. Rarely, is the film all that " special. " Who selects the films to be on Demand? And, why can't they put all the month's films on so if a movie is missed, or a viewer falls to sleep when a favorite is due to come on etc. etc., then they can go to On Demand and retrieve it. Sometimes, there's a movie you enjoyed so well you just want to see it again. Also,there are alot of films folks enjoy but are not available on disk. Some of us are running out of time...we don't have entire lifetimes to wait to see these special films. You guys could rotate these films on " On Demand," it sure would be a treat..I pay extra to get OD and I sure would appreciate better programming for TCM. Thank-You. DLT

"I get TCM On Demand on Sacramento cable ( comcast ) and there are only 4-5 films to select from. Rarely, is the film all that " special." - lynntobin

That's too bad. On any given day there are nearly 20 films and/or shorts to select from here in LA. I have Time-Warner as cable provider now but that was also the case when Comcast was my cable system two years ago.

There are thre or four "new" films added to the line-up each week and each film is available to be watched for four weeks. What I really appreciate this past month is that most of the films added to the "On Demand" line-up is that they are all films from the Guest Programmer event and include the introductions of Robert Osborne with the Guest Programmer - like Joe Pantoliano introducing The Best Years Of Our Lives or Matt Groening introducing Way Out West. About 12 of the current seletions available "On Demand" are from the Guest Programmer event.

TCM selects the films for the rotating "On Demand" line-up but obviously the cable operator is able to exercise some control which and how many films are available "On Demand" each week/month. If you aren't being offered the same level of "On Demand" service as I have here in LA, you might wish to push Comcast in Sacramento to "get with the program" and improve the TCM offerings. But don't hold out hope on being able to access an entire month of TCM selections from an "On Demand" service. But I would expect TCM to continue to expand the number of feature films avalable to be watched on-line through their "Media Room" service. (Did you know there are full-length films there? Just click on the "Video" link in the banner at the top of the page.

Kyle In Hollywood

The great people at TCM told me that they had to either move it up to a digital station or start putting commercials in. Now if u have ever tried to watch a classic film on AMC, you know how much those commercials suck! I would rather pay the extra 10-20 dollars a month to not have commercials in my classics and really it is only a few dollars more for the digital bundle.

Thank you and have a nice day,

kpr

That absolutely bites... I haven't even figured out how to do anything on my flip phone except take and (with luck) send a call, and I wouldn't be e-mailing this if not for the IT staff to help...

Technological "advances" have gotten absolutely ridiculous; we don't need them, they don't improve the quality of life, they're expensive and exclusive to those not "techy" enough to master them. Alas, it's all about the bottom line in this modern society: if people will run out and buy a new digital camera every week because this week's is "better" than last weeks, it'll happen.

Here I thought TCM was the ONE refuge from modern society. It's a sell-out, and I am sorry... Hopefully you've taped a lot of good stuff on VHS (I don't even own a DVD player) to watch???

"The great people at TCM told me that they had to either move it up to a digital station or start putting commercials in." - kimpunkrock

Thanks for the update 'kimpunkrock'. Obviously the situation has changed during the past 12 months.

But it still may not be solely a financial motivation on TCM's part. 'tcmprogrammr' wrote earlier this fall that some of the suppliers to their films have tried to force the channel to keep the "bug"/logo on the screen for the duration of the entire movie as a method of deterring the illegal sale of films recorded on TCM. I don't know for certain, but the placement of TCM on the digital tier may also - somehow - provide additional "anti-piracy" provisions to the films being shown "letterboxed, uncut and commercial-free" and ripe for illegal exploitation. But that is only a guess.

Kyle In Hollywood

Honestly, it isn't our decision to be moved to the digital tier, it's completely up to the cable company. And different cable operators put us in different packages depending on the market and whatever financial considerations they have - in some places we're on the most basic package and in some places we're on a digital tier. But that's up to the cable company.

Kyle That also has a disadvantage. I sometimes record and keep the movie for my collection and I wish that logo wasn't an eyesore whenever I watch the movies later on. I notice other channels do the same thing. If they need to use the station's ID logo, I wish it wasn't so large. At least just have their logo to pop up ever now and then.

Bootlegging a movie in this day of age is a joke on everyone but of course steals from the film companies. Its like counterfeiting a $1.00 bill. Anyone can get Pay-per View and if one use a DVD-R disc to record the movie from that, the total cost will only be about $5.00 I generally use Directv's PPV or wait until it comes on the Starz package. Plus you now have internet download.

If I REALLY like a movie or want a box set or its the only way of acquiring a rare movie then that is the only time I buy a movie. The anniversary DVD's have extra features incorporated and generally can not be obtained any other way. Bootlegging movies came from the period when movies on video were very expensive. When was the last time you bought a 90 min video for $80.00

The logos don't stop the people in China from selling illegal videos.

I got a double feature - the silent version of "The Lost World" and the rare B classic "The Giant Gila Monster" plus a cartoon extra at my local dollar store for $1.00

What IDIOT would bootleg that ????

I am sure there were many reasons besides the commercials. The only reason I have cable is because of TCM.

I would like to see an internet feed where you could pay a certain amount each month to get a live stream of the channel through your internet connection. This would be rad because then most people could get TCM even if they cannot afford cable. I would do this in a second because like I said the only reason I have cable is for TCM.

-

kpr

"Honestly, it isn't our decision to be moved to the digital tier, it's completely up to the cable company." - 'tcmprogrammr'

Thanks, sir.

Now we are back to blaming the cable operators. And that is fine with me. They are far too powerful for my democratic sensiblities. (I wonder how long it will take before the vertical intergation they have achieved is struck down like the Paramount Decision in the '40s that forced the studios to reliquish their theater chains? Probably not in my lifetime though.)

So 'njLarry', you can take the word of 'tcmprogrammr' back to your cable company and raise holy hell. Who knows. You might be able to embarass them into making good on their "lie" to you.

Kyle In Hollywood

Message was edited by: hlywdkjk

Dear tcmprogrammr, thanks for the input. TCM is the only reason I have cable. Call me a freak but sports don't interest me and there's enough on the major networks, I get better weather forcasts off the internet and the rest of the pograming is so commercial ridden they are too annoying to watch. Now I can't get TLM without a converter that I don't want. Others without a converter will never even find that TLM exists. Bottom line; TLM loses audience. Are you saying that TCM has no contractual say in how they are rebroadcasted? ps: I suspect that much of your audience (including my college age daughters) are "analog" people.

TCM has no control over which tier it is in or which channel it is on or which package it is tied in with. That is under the control of the cable company.

As for going digital, TCM has no choice. It is mandated by Congress that by 2009, all channels will be digital. For those with televisions without a digital input, they will have to get a digital box in order to receive the television signals.

The old analog bandwiths were getting too crowded with channels and there is a need for that bandwith to be used by emergency services. The federal government handed down this mandate, not the networks.

As for the bug and bootlegging, Ebay is awash in DVDs of titles, especially the rare ones, that were recorded right off of TCM. Each time a film is bootlegged for the purpose of selling them on the secondary market, it hurts the overall sale of legit released studio era classics. The bug during a broadcast doesn't bug me and doesn't take away from the enjoyment of watching the film.

If the bug helps curtail the bootleg market, in the minds of the studios, that's okay with me. I would rather TCM had access to the rare titles and continued to broadcast them instead of the studios refusing to lease them lest they be bootlegged.

Yes, that's what I'm saying - at least within certain parameters. It's possible our contracts say that we can't be sold as a premium service like HBO or Showtime (I don't know the details since I'm not in the sales department), and I'm sure there are some differences from contract to contract. But when the decision is made to move us from basic to a tier that is not something we have input in nor do we benefit from it happening; it was not a strategic decision on our part. Just the fact that we're on basic on some cable systems (and on DirecTV and other satellite services), while on a digital tier in others suggests that this isn't a decision that we're making, but is one that's made by each individual cable or satellite provider.

Well again-thanks for the response. Please let the sales dept know that if there is ever a way for TCM to 'cast directly to its' fans via the web or satillite many of us would sign up day one.

My greatest entertainment fear is TCM going the way of AMC.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings