Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Barbara Cook (1927-2017)

The lovely and talented Barbara Cook has left us. An obituary will be forthcoming. She was a towering presence on the theater stage and in concert halls around the world. She did appear on television several times, including in some movies.

I had the pleasure to work with this great and gracious lady, on several occasions.

cookalonehdl6105.jpg

One of her early songs, a particular favorite of mine, from the show Flahooley -- "Here's to Your Illusions:"

• Like 4

Here's the Kennedy Center Honors tribute to Barbara Cook from 2011. She was honored along with Meryl Streep, Neil Diamond, Yo-Yo Ma and Sonny Rollins. You can stop watching after the 17:32 mark.

• Like 1

Odd, I dont see any news of this on websites. Even Broadway World! I had heard she had abruptly retired, but not what was going on with her. Thankfully, many recordings of hers exist from Broadway shows, solo recordings and concerts.

Odd, I dont see any news of this on websites. Even Broadway World! I had heard she had abruptly retired, but not what was going on with her. Thankfully, many recordings of hers exist from Broadway shows, solo recordings and concerts.

Check Broadway World now. Plus The Washington Post just filed an obituary.

It's too bad that her personal problems got in the way of her career,

Despite the difficulties she ever had with performing, she did a great deal of teaching and mentoring in her last years.

It's so important for artists to pass on what they know to the Next Generation.

So much of art, whether it's dance or singing or acting can't be taught with a video; it can only be taught hands on--

up close and personal.

• Like 1

Thanks, but I'll just watch for it. I dont want the plot spoiled for me. Since she died, perhaps someone at the network will schedule it (provided anyone even knows she was in one). I dont think I've seen it, as I'd remember her being in it, but who knows?

• Like 1

I wasn't familiar too much with Barbara Cook except for the Alfred Hitchcock Presents episode.   

I hadnt realized she did some acting roles........(non-singing I mean)

Ms Cook's voice was so crystal clear- not a bit throaty, and just the perfect amount of vibrato.

Wonderful talent. RIP, Ms Cook.

• Like 3

Late in her career, she made quite a splash in Jules Feiffer's first play in which, at the end of the first act, she got killed by a sniper. 

I never realized she was in that play until I read her obit. Marcia Rodd played that part in the film version..........

• Like 1