Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Where in the world is Bing Crosby?

longs

How is it that the classic Bing Crosby Christmas movies and specials are missing from TCM in December? I guess I should be grateful that they are at least showing The Bells of St. Mary's once, (and High Society also makes it on the schedule once, go figure). Seriously, who doesn't look for Bing Crosby during the holidays? I'm immensely disappointed that TCM has dropped the ball on this yet again. Bing Crosby deserves to be the star of the month and I can't understand why TCM is ignoring its viewers on this request. Honestly, one would be hard-pressed to catch any of his movies throughout the year, let alone the Christmas holidays. So where in the world is Bing Crosby? Do the schedulers have something against him or what?

Message was edited by: longsl

Longsi,

Last year TCM was able to get White Christmas after many years of trying. Alas, it was only a one year (or less) lease. Chances are TCM would have preferred a multi-year lease because many of the posters here had been clamoring for years for the film to be shown, but TCM was likely at the mercy of Paramount (the film's owner) and Paramount dictated the terms and conditions of the contract.

As for his specials, TCM does not show television specials as its focus is feature films.

I believe Bing has been the Star of the Month in the last three years.

Message was edited by: lzcutter

A quick search at IMDb yielded 86 titles where Crosby was an actor, of which 10 were TV series.

Crobsy worked mostly at Paramount early in his career (most, if not all, of the "Road" movies, for example, were at Paramount), and TCM doesn't have easy access to the pre-1950 Paramount movies, as Universal owns the broadcast rights to these. IMDb yielded 42 Crosby titles that were from Paramount before 1950, although I didn't check to see how many of them were Crosby playing himself, which are not included in the 86 number I gave above.

Holiday Inn and Going My Way, for example, are both pre-1950 Paramounts.

I'm sorry if the dreaded broadcast rights situation isn't a satisfying answer, but TCM can't simply get the rights to any movie it wants to air at any time.

Note that Bob Hope doesn't show up much on TCM either: he worked quite a bit at Paramount. And all those Universal movies from the 30s and 40s almost never show up.... :-(

It is true. Bng Crosby was Star Of The Month during a past December.

The webprofile and an article on Bing by Robert Osborne can be found here -

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=111408

Sorry that you are feeling disappointed with the lack of Bing Crosby this month. I think ABC Family Channel has the cable rights to White Christmas this year.

Kyle In Hollywood

It is possible to rent/buy as many Bing Crosby Xmas DVD's as you can afford and have your own White Christmas. TCM cannot handle everyones whims and wishes that is why we have netflix, amazon, ebay and best buy.

I remember back in the day AMC use to over-play the Bing Crosby Holiday movies.

who else remembers that?

I understand, but what's the point of paying the extra money to subscribe to TCM on cable if I have to go out and buy all the movies that they should be showing?

By the way, it's not that I expect my every whim to be provided...my point is that it is December and most people look forward to seeing Bing Crosby classics during the holidays.

As far as the rhetoric with Paramount goes, this isn't the 1950s anymore; if you can buy the movie on DVD then why can't they be shown on TV? It's ridiculous!

Message was edited by: longs

White Christmas is on Mon. Dec. 10 8:00 PM MyNetwork

and on FMC (Fox Movie Channel) all day Christmas is "MIRACLE ON 34TH STREET" Alternating between the 1947 and the 1994 versions. TCM, Christmas Night is showing "King Of Kings " and "The Greatest Story Ever Told"

vallo

> I understand, but what's the point of paying the extra money to subscribe to TCM on cable if I have to go out and buy all the movies that they should be showing?

For some values of "should". The nature of copyright is such that they have to pay for the broadcast rights to the movies they show (well, at least those that haven't fallen into the public domain), and the rights holders have no obligation to sell the broadcast rights to TCM at a lower price than they can get elsewhere.

> As far as the rhetoric with Paramount goes, this isn't the 1950s anymore; if you can buy the movie on DVD then why can't they be shown on TV? It's ridiculous!

They can be shown on TV; it's jsut that whoever wants to show it on TV has to work out a deal with the folks who own the rights (and who put out the DVD). If Paramount only broadcast the movies to which they hold the rights on the cable outlets they own, you'd have people screaming "vertical monopoly".

Or would you like to see TCM showing a lot more grainy public domain copies of movies, like the stuff that shows up on World Harvest Television on weekday afternoons?

I am not a big Bing fan but on AMC recently I saw a movie he was in where he played a doctor who was always drunk. I don't know the title but Ann-Margaret was in it also. I would like to see this movie sans the commercials. My guess is it came out in the 60s since Bing was older and Ann Margaret hit her stride in the 60s. Hey just a quick thought wouldn't it have been cool if Ann-Margaret had been a guest programmer last month? Or maybe she would consent to a Private Screenings?? BTW am I the only one who thinks those Private Screenings episodes are to short?

Private Screenings is one the best thing on TV>>>>>!!!!! Robert Osborne dose a very good job if interveiwing the subjects and getting them to talk.. YES it is too short. would love extended version of several of them, such as the Lauren Bacall, I would love to hear what they said when the camera wsn't rolling and what She REALLY thought of Boggie..lol

He is definitely in my heart. I'm a relatively "younger" fan at 32 years old. My Grammy turned me on to Bing two summers ago when we were visiting one day, and Going My Way was on TV. Before that I wasn't interested much in black and white movies, but I became engrossed in the film and now I'm a huge fan of Bing Crosby's acting and singing. I have tried to see as many of his movies as I can and have a big CD collection of his songs that I treasure.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels disappointed that more of his movies are not being shown this December, judging by all the responses to this thread and the Holiday Inn feedback. Thanks to those of you who have explained the impact of Paramount's movie rights on the TV schedule. I am wondering...is it a matter of cost to get their movies shown? Did TCM not shell out the money to negotiate the viewing of Bing's movies? I assumed since they were shown last year or the year before that it would be an annual thing; that's why I was so disappointed with this year's TV schedule.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings