Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

D.W. GRIFFITH, FRITZ LANG, AND ABEL GANCE

silverkid

HAS TCM EVER SCREENED ANY OF THEIR FILMS? AND I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT LANG'S BLUE GARDENIA OR SOMETHING, I'M TALKING ABOUT "METROPOLIS" OR "M". DO THEY OWN THE RIGHTS? IS THAT THE PROBLEM? I'D LOVE TO SEE D.W. GRIFFITH'S WORK, "INTOLERANCE", AS WELL AS HIS LAST WORK, "THE STRUGGLE".

I'D ALSO LOVE TO SEE "NAPOLEON". AHHH FILM. GOD'S GIFT TO MAN.

P.S. SORRY FOR CAPS. FIRST, LAST, ONLY TIME.

Message was edited by: silverkid

Hmm, thats kinda weird. I've been watching TCM for a few years now, and I constantly check the site for M, & Metropolis, among others, yet they are never on the schedule. Must of been before my time, which is like 03-04. Here's hoping they show up in 08.

Silverkid,

M, Metropolis and Intolerance have all been broadcast in the last few years on TCM. Napoleon, I'm not sure about because with its tridych panels at the end, it loses some of its impact on the smaller screen.

Plus, TCM does show other Griffith and Lange films.

I have the video of NAPOLEON. The tryptych works on the small screen. It may not look the way it did when I saw it at Radio City Music Hall with a live orchestra, but it's still very effective on my TV. I would put NAPOLEON on my top 5 list of great movies.

• 8 months later...

Yes, TCM ran the Copplla scored version of NAPOLEON back in 2000 or so, on Silent Sunday Nights. Very bad news, according to Kevin Brownlow, all the 35 and 70 millimeter prints of the 1981 re-issue burned up in the recent Universal Studio's fire! I am not sure if any Nitrate prints were lost, but that didn't sound good either.

I have this version on DVD, from the out of print region 2 release. What's more, I expect to have the Carl Davis 5 and a half hour scored version on DVD-R too, in the next few days or so.

TCM inked a pact to show more of the Photo-play Productions Silent's a few months ago, among them De Mille's THE GODLESS GIRL (1928), with the great Carl Davis score! The deal may include the Davis scored version of INTOLERANCE. I don't know? The Photo-play ORPHANS OF THE STORM restoration from 2004, will debut in November, so big news there. This version is not on DVD at this time and has never been seen in the States before.

Yes, TCM ran the Copplla scored version of NAPOLEON back in 2000 or so, on Silent Sunday Nights. Very bad news, according to Kevin Brownlow, all the 35 and 70 millimeter prints of the 1981 re-issue burned up in the recent Universal Studio's fire! I am not sure if any Nitrate prints were lost, but that didn't sound good either.>>

Nitrate requires special storage and I doubt that Universal would have left itself liable by storing nitrate with other non-nitrate elements or prints.

When nitrate burns it puts out toxic fumes that can endanger fire fighters if they don't know about.

If there had been nitrate prints in the Universal fire it wouldn't have been swept under the rug because of the liability issues involved.

Jeffrey,

I wasn't questioning the part about Brownlow and the *Napoleon* prints. I was just responding to your statement that nitrate prints could have been destroyed in the fire and how unlikely it was since it is illegal to store nitrate that way and the hazards that nitrate produce in a fire that the liability would have far outweighed the risk of storing it illegally.

*"All of their 35 Millimeter print's of NAPOLEON went up in Flames!" >>*

Then does that mean that the 70mm prints you eluded to in your original post survive?

Don't mean to sound argumentative, I'm just confused by your statement.

Lynn,

Hey, you don't think that I am not confused? I have no idea about the 70 millimeter prints, or if there actually ever were any to start with? This is assuming that full-scale 70 millimeter prints of the Coppalla version are indeed what were released by Universal in 1981? I don't know that to be a fact either. Really only the polly-vision sequence would have been needed in 70 millimeter wouldn't it have? None of the rest of the movie? Correct?

The BFI probably now has the best and most complete print of the movie, if they haven't always had the best and most complete. Universal claimed to have the rights to the so called official version, that Coppalla cut considerably, yet both versions were restored by Brownlow, not Universal! More senseless quibbling, just like with Paramount and the Photo-play WINGS.

The worst thing is we had been told back in May, that a compromise had apparently been reached between the Coppalla, and Davis camps, on the score and both versions of the film. One thing I can tell you, the Thames version was produced at 20 frames per second, compared to the Coppalla versions 24 frames per second presentation.

I never claimed to be the world's best speller, in-fact I am among the worst! I've been mis-spelling the name for so long, that it's just automatic. I also was routinely calling Patrick Stanbury, Patrick Stansbury. Sorry.

Now we have news of a possible even more recent restoration of WINGS, than the 1993 photo--play one which TCM can't run, at least not at the present time. I believe from 2003, though the guy who wrote this article say's it was just a couple years ago? All I know is a restored version ran at AMPAS in April of 2003. So I assume that this is the exact same one?

http://www.cinemaartscentre.org/08%20February/CAC-Wings.htm

Film_Fatale,

Here is the link for the thread on Nitraitville about this matter. One of the poster's "*silentfilmmusic*" said that He played to the Movie in New York last year, and elaborated on the beauty of the print, and the rich tints.

He claims the Acadamy just restored WINGS a couple years ago? I say it was in 2002. It had to be restored well in advance of the April AMPAS 2003 screenings, But again, as far as I know this guy could have it all wrong, and it was really the Brownlow-photo-play print that He saw from 1993? Indeed the AMPAS screening could have been too? The version has to be around someplace! This proves it! Demand that Paramount provide the print!

http://nitrateville.com/viewtopic.php?t=379

• 5 months later...

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings