Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MGM Symphony Orchestra DVD

sduraybito

The following MGM Symphony Orchestra short films, "Capriccio Italien," "Strauss Fantasy," "M-G-M Jubilee Overture,""La Gazza Ladra Overture" and "Poet and Peasant Overture" would make a great DVD. TCM Video Distributors, if you're reading, consider this compliation. Thanks, Peter.

"Capriccio Italien," "Strauss Fantasy," "M-G-M Jubilee Overture,""La Gazza Ladra Overture" and "Poet and Peasant Overture"

I had not realized till seeing your message (and then checking IMDb) that there were/are (apparently) only 5 of these. I've been waiting for more to show up. All of them have been (now that they've shown "Capriccio") on TCM, and I thankfully have gotten all 5. Wish there were more.

Bill

I wish they were on DVD, too.

I believe there was one other short, the Overture to The Merry Wives of Windsor (1953). It won the Academy Award for Best Short Subject, and can be found as an extra on The Knights of The Round Table DVD.

Fortunately, The Strauss Fantasy short will be included as an extra on the upcoming Deep In My Heart DVD; I have never seen that one.

Bill -

Below is what I believe to be a complete list of these musical pieces.

Please note that the "Merry Wives" 35MM Version is just that. There are different shots of the orchestra used. It is NOT a pan and scan version of the Cinemascope Version.

Yancey

Capriccio Italien (1953)

La Gazza Ladra Overture - (The Thieving Magpie) - (1954)

M-G-M Jubilee Overture (1954)

Overture - Poet and Peasant (1955)

Overture to The Merry Wives of Windsor (1953) - 35MM Version

Overture to The Merry Wives of Windsor (1953) - Cinemescope Version

Strauss Fantasy (1954)

Thanks. That means that - either still on my hard drive or on dvds I have all of them except that 35MM version (or at least, I don't THINK I've seen that one - maybe it's on a VHS tape from years ago).

Haven't seen your name around here in a while; I've stayed (until yesterday) out of the "top section" of the forms for a few months. It just got to be too much to handle. Staying down here where things seem to be steady-as-she-goes and more manageable time-wise. Of course, "shorts" has been a much quieter place since MGMWBRKO has (mostly) departed. And the listings in the main schedule seem to be a little closer to reality lately.

Bill

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings