Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Host, Robert Osborne

cashette

Today The National Board Of Review announced today that Robert Osborne will receive the William K. Everson Film History Award for 2007. The award will be given in New York City at Cipriani on 42nd St. The date is January 15, 2008. Congratulations to Mr. Osborne from all your fans on the board.

I have cherished memories of sitting in the living room of William K. Everson, one of my film teachers at New York University, watching the movies in his personal collection (I always looked forward to his formal lectures, too).

A wonderful character, full of tales, trivia and wisdom. I miss him still.

For many years William K. Everson was a regular (and well respected) attendee of CINEFEST, the annual convention and film festival of rare, seldom-seen vintage films which is held in Syracuse, New York every March.

Mr. Everson would gladly loan many of his treasured films to the Syracuse Cinephile Society for screening at Cinefest. He loved to share his knowledge of classic films, as well as the films themselves.

Robert Osborne is a worthy recipient of this award....like Mr. Everson, Mr. Osborne is not only a knowledgable scholar of classic films, but also a gentleman.

Hi CineSage, How interesting that Mr. Everson was your professor in college. Mr. Everson won this award that is named after him in 1994, Past recipients have included Peter Bogdanovich, Jeanine Basinger, Martine Scorsese, and Richard Schickel. Cine, is Cipriani a restaurant on 42nd St? The awards will be given out at this location.

Hi MGMMayer, Do you have any information on the Cinefest that is held in Syracuse,NY. every March? My location is a suburb of Rocester,NY., but I have never heard of this festival.The Geogre Eastman House and the Dryden Theatre are located near me.

Yes, cashette, the 2008 Cinefest (it's 28th consecutive year) will be held Thursday-Sunday, March 13th, 14th, 15th and 16th, 2008.

Info (including schedule film titles) will be posted on:

www.picking.com (click the Home Page's "Cinefest 28" icon)

Right now just the particulars of the actual event (dates, location, registration procedures, etc.) are posted on the website, but scheduled film titles will be announced soon.

It's a great time and features many rare films which aren't easily seen on TV or DVD.....plus there are large dealer rooms for purchasing classic film memorabilia.

Hi CineSage, How interesting that Mr. Everson was your professor in college. Mr. Everson won this award that is named after him in 1994, Past recipients have included Peter Bogdanovich, Jeanine Basinger, Martine Scorsese, and Richard Schickel. Cine, is Cipriani a restaurant on 42nd St? The awards will be given out at this location.

Cipriani has four locations in Manhattan, Cashette (there are other restaurants that use the Cipriani name, but are not affiliated with the International Cipriani chain). The one to which you refer is at 110 E. 42nd Street, right by Grand Central Station.

Broadening the discussion beyond Prof. Everson. word arrived a few days ago that David Oppenheim, Dean of New York University's School of the Arts (now Tisch School of the Arts) from 1969-1991, died on November 14. Dean Oppenheim, who'd been first clarinettist of the New York Philharmonic Orchestra, and run Columbia Records' Masterworks division, turned NYU's film school, which had been founded four years before his arrival, into one of the world's premiere institutions of academic training and education in film and cinema. I remember him well, as he always seemed to be in and around activities at school, and was accessible for anyone who wanted to learn, commisserate or gripe.

Film fans might also know him as the husband of Oscar-winning comic actress Judy Holliday from 1948-1957.

For those who might care to learn more about Dean David Oppenheim's life, here is the New York Times obituary:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/03/arts/03oppenheim.html?pagewanted=all

Hi CineSage, Thanks for the imformation on Cipriani. I have only been to NYC twice, so certain names are not familiar to me. Dean Oppenheim accomplished much in his lifetime. Judy Holliday`s biography by Will Holtzman has a lovely photo of David giving his wife Judy a congratulatory kiss. She had just won the Academy Award for Born Yesterday in 1951. The book also has a photo of Judy holding their six month old son Jonathan. Jonathan is now 55.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings