Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Christmas movies

theprojectionist

I'm brand new to this forum so please forgive me if I'm bringing up a subject that has been discussed before. But one of the reasons I signed up to be a member was to voice my disappointment with the lack of an all Christmas lineup at any point during the month of December. With the wealth of great Christmas movies available, it is a mystery to me why the good folks at TCM don't at least have an all X-mas lineup on Christmas eve. Is it because some non-Christian fans might feel left out? Its just one night a year. That said, I love TCM. As someone who has worked in the theater business for over a quarter of a century as a projectionist, it's been an education to all that's great with the art of film. I'm truly grateful.

Thanks for listening.

I hadn't looked forward in the schedule until you started this thread, and you're right....the pickin's are slim for good Christmas movies for the 23rd-25th. There are some good ones, such as "Christmas In Connecticut" (1945), "A Christmas Carol" (1938) (not my favorite version of this one, but oh well.), "The Bishop's Wife (1947), "The Man Who came To Dinner" (1942) and a few others. However, some of the other movies scheduled are bizarre to say the least, unless, the programmers felt a lot of people might want some thing other than Christmas movies to watch.

I know other networks will have holiday programming on as well, so I guess it is that "let's offer something different for people who are tired of watching endless Christmas programming. Personally, I'd rather see 100% holiday tie-in movies for those 2-3 days.

Hello and welcome.

I think TCM has shown great sensitivity in scheduling Christmas movies every Sunday in December and on Christmas Eve as well as KING OF KINGS and THE GREATEST STORY EVER TOLD on Christmas Day. Please look again at the Christmas Eve schedule. TCM is showing some wonderful movies at just the right time, and I thank TCM heartily. I hope they are showing this much sensitivity to other religions and to the non-religious. However, if they had shown no interest at all in the holiday or scheduled secular generic Christmas movies on the evening of one of the holiest days of the church year, I wouldn't have cared. After all, it wouldn't stop my extended Roman Catholic family from celebrating Christmas exactly as we wish--at Mass and in each other's company.

Merry Christmas!

While I agree that the Christmas films are spread a little thin this year, there have been years where TCM has really outdone themselves. What it comes down to what films can they lease for a given year. For example, last year they showed "White Christmas", but I think that was only a one year deal.

Normally, the studios have a very limit number of channels interested in older films so when they lease them, they're more willing to make multiple-year contracts. However, it seems that just about every channel wants classic holiday movies so they have to compete against each other and the highest bidder gets them. Since the films are in demand each year the studios also find it more lucrative to offer them on a short-term basis so that they can rebid them each year. $$$$$$$$$

Remember, when TCM was bought by Time-Warner, the entire Turner library went under control of Warner Bros. so TCM has to lease them just like everybody else. So even films that they've been showing for years may not always be available to them.

Who knows maybe next year TCM will have so many Christmas movies that folks will be complaining they can't watch them all.

Hello to 'theprojectionist' -

Great to have another new member and one with a career many of us probably envy. Welcome.

TCM did attempt to program a full day of films with Christams themes on Christmas Eve (Monday, 24th). But maybe they were a bit too subtle.

All of the films in line-up on Monday touch upon Christmas in one manner or another in a scene or two. (And that may continue into Christmas Morning up to Susan Slept Here I've never seen it so don't know if Christmas comes up in the story. Same for all the subsequent films leading up to the films on the story of the Christ. And the line-up for Christmas Night definitely shows TCM isn't timid about programming Christian films.

So, TCM has attempted to program to celebrate Christmas in the day(s) prior to the 25th but perhaps the line-up could have used a few more blatant Holiday films.

Glad to have aboard the boards.

Kyle In Hollywood

Thank you for that reply. I knew there had to be a good reason. I had no idea that the TV networks had the same sort of booking issues we have in the movie theater business. I just assumed they could play whatever they had a mind to. It's nice to be able to understand the "Why" of something that's bothered me for a long, long time.

I meant no offense. And just so know, I too will be attending my church's midnight mass---no matter what TCM is playing at the time. I know the reason for the season. But that doesn't mean I can't be enthusiastic about Christmas movies, which I still think doesn't get as much attention by TCM than other holidays. Take Halloween for example. Horror movies galore. Of course I understand that there's many, many more for them to choose from. Oh well.

Thank you for your reply.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings