Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

When watching a favorite film with family & friends ...

hlywdkjk

Whne watching a favorite film with family or friends -

do you watch the film in silence - as if you were seeing it in a theater - or do you converse, comment, kid around and generally socialize while watching the movie?

If you are social while watching the movie, does it make a difference if it is a film everyone has seen many times before or if it is a "new" film experience to one of the viewers. And does the type of movie make a difference in whether you talk during a ovie. I assume a comedy makes for a very social movie-watching event.

Just wondering how "social" one is while watching movies at home.

Kyle In Hollywood

My wife and I have been friends with a couple for over 25 years. The wife there is an avid old movie fan like me. Our spouses are casual fans. Usually we watch an old movie. If it is one we have seen several times we are more likely to talk or comment. If it's a new one we will sit quietly and watch.

Sometimes if it is only my family and I'm familiar with the film and they are not I will usually point out something they should remember for later or should pay close attention to.

I agree with you that the type of film has a bearing on the conversation level.

This is a bad topic to dangle in front of me....a bad, BAD topic!

If I'm watching a classic film with other "film buffs", we'll MOSTLY sit and watch in silence, but we also will feel free to speak up and point out something worth noting......

However, when I watch a classic film with my wife's family, I go absolutely BONKERS! They are the most "un-showbiz" people I've ever met, and they really don't give two hoots about "those old movies". Have you ever tried to watch an excellent classic film on TCM and have your in-laws loudly chattering away about how their neighbor's daughter has started working at Wal-Mart?

SHEER TORTURE!!!!!

I am the same way, watch in silence and concentrate heavily on it.

If I have seen it before, I might take a nice nap if I am tired :)

I rarely watch anything with friends of family

My wife has her own hobbies, but she will pop in to see what I am watching, if shes interested she'll stick around...she usually prefers color movies & cartoons ala Disney and the like

On Thanksgiving I watched the Narrow Margin with my wife and mom, I thought it was such a good movie , and it was a birthday gift (Noir Volume 2 with Narrow Margin) plus it is a mere 72 minutes - so we watched it...

Fun movie..more twists than a pretzel

oh goodness!

it depends on which movie we are watching. usually i watch movies with my whole family and it will most likely be one we have seen millions of times and my dad and i are very **** about things. he will sit on the couch with me and we will each pick apart the movie. he loves heist movies and he will say anything that jumps out at him that they did wrong in the movie. he will say,"i would do it this way, no they are doing it wrong, they would getc aught that way, or it wouldnt workk that way." he did it so much in my childhood that nowi do it so often, but i usually just wait for him to say it, b.c i know he thinks the same things. i never really comment on that stuff anymore.

usually if it is a comedy, we all will have the most random conversations about things in the movie...that will make us laugh even more. heehee!, but then i can spot so many of the goofs in movies most of the time, itdrives me crazy and i wish i didnt do it, but they just jump out at me. im so pathetic. i try not doing these things when around people other thn my family. heehee!

Ok, here's a sad fact--I will often comment on a film out loud when I am watching it BY MYSELF. Sometimes my hubby is in the other room on the computer and he will hear me talking to myself or to our cat and we will have a shouted conversation about what I'm watching. Yes, even my cat isn't safe from my running commentary. The cat likes to sit on the coffee table while I watch tv or movies and stare at me with the intensity of a thousand suns and I need to do something to break the tension.

If hubby and I are watching a film together at home, we comment on the film if something strikes us as silly, scary, cool, or ridiculous. If we are at the cinema, we stay quiet most of the time, although we've been known to whisper comments to each other.

Sandy K

Hi, Kim--I loved the short film about you on TCM.

Like you, it depends on whether I've seen the movie and what the others want to do. If none of us has ever seen it, silence.

If we've all seen it several times, we sometimes rag into it even if we love it (had a particularly fun time doing this with Funny Face a few years back).

If anyone there with us wants silence, we respect that. But usually there's a bit of talk, mainly about what we know about the movie.

Well, sounds like some of us are everything from reverent to raucous while watching our favorite films.

I asked this because I was thinking it might be fun to have TCM install a "Chat Room" where we could all log-in independently and discuss amongst ourselves what is playing on TCM in "real time" at that moment. It certainly sounds like some of us can be quite chatty while watching our favorite films.

Many folks have written in the past that they go out of there way to watch films on TCM as they are being shown rather than recording them to watch later. I bet we all like the idea of participating in the shared experience of watching a film with many others at the same time.

Hopefully we can have a recreation of Ayers running commentary on Funny Face. And SamdyK could share her movie-watching with a person rather than the family cat.

Anyone else think this could be a fun addition to the website?

Kyle In Hollywood

"I asked this because I was thinking it might be fun to have TCM install a "Chat Room"..."

I watch alone, complete silence, and have on occasion unplugged the refrigerator or turned off the A/C/heater to keep it quieter. It's not just that I don't like interruptions, I've developed the old Ronald Reagan background noise hearing impairment. And a chat room would mean I would be doing two things at once, just impossible for me.

But, Kyle, my cat is the perfect movie-watching partner for me...he agrees with everything I say! LOL! Either that, or he is trying to hypnotize me with his steady gaze.

I think a chat room would be fun. The only problem for me is that we only have the digital cable channels on our living room tv, where I watch TCM. The small tv in the computer room/office only gets the analog channels...I'd have to run back and forth while I watched and chatted.

Sandy K

"...Or (My cat) is trying to hypnotize me with his steady gaze." - sandykaypax

And just how long have you had "Pyewacket" for a pet?

(Instead of referring to you as "Mrs Bennett", I guess I'll have to refer to you as "Gillian" from now on, Ms Novak.)

And are you saying Mr. K doesn't agree with everything you say? How dare he!

Kyle In Hollywood

I asked this because I was thinking it might be fun to have TCM install a "Chat Room" where we could all log-in independently and discuss amongst ourselves what is playing on TCM in "real time" at that moment. It certainly sounds like some of us can be quite chatty while watching our favorite films.

It's not a bad idea. Why, I've even thought of something like that myself. ;)

For me I'd love to have something like this at least for movies I've seen before. For everything that I'm watching for the very first time, I'll always prefer the "dark, silent room" approach, whether or not there's others in the room.

When I watch movies with both friends & family we converse with each othere, even though I do it on a smaller scale with family, but with friends I do,it on a larger scale, because my friends for the most part have never seen the movie, and they ask questions about the movie plot & characters during the movie. I've just introduced my best friend to the joys of pre-code film, and she tends to comment that she "didn't know they made movies like these back in the day" every time during them, I guess the shock is there, even after all these years.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings