Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

An Apology.

Moviebuffer12

Hello. I would like to apologize about the TCM fantasy challenge. There were more than 3 users on the hawkraven account(There was about 12(3 were **** off and quit)). My name is Morgan and I was a user of the hawkraven account. The person who created the fantasy challenge was named William Bennett. William had the idea and we all loved it. We did not know the rules at the time. I did warn Will however that we should look at the rules first. He was too excited and jumped into it. I don't blame him for responding the way he did to the filmlover and the other **** of users. However, I still think that it was a stupid decision to kill the account. It was out of my vote so I took the liberty of creating my own account. I apologize to filmlover, movieman1957, and hlywdkjk for Will's **** off actions. I do think it is wrong to say that he was trying to hijack the challnge, and I do think the rules are unfair, but I still don't think that he should have responded in anger and quiting. I am not very happy that Will is gone, but it's too late now. Thank you, and my dearest apologies to the victims of Will's anger.

Morgan,

No need for you to apologize for him. This is why it's a good thing to have your own screen name. We are always glad to have new people.

No one would be against him having his game. We felt he just went about it the wrong way. As for the rules of the challenge they have been basically the same through these eight challenges. Sometimes they are modified to keep it interesting but I wouldn't classify them as unfair. This is the 3rd or 4th one I have done. (If you'd like please tell us why.)

I was just caught a little off guard at his choice of words. All are welcome and I, for one, am glad you came in on your own.

Chris

This is getting curiouser and curiouser...

"However, I still think that it was a stupid decision to kill the account. It was out of my vote so I took the liberty of creating my own account."

The 'hawkraven' account hasn't been killed. It is still a valid member's account and should be able to be logged into with the correct password. (If TCM had closed the account, all 'hawkraven' posts would now read as being posted as Guest.

"I do think it is wrong to say that he was trying to hijack the challnge...

Whether or not that was the intention, beginning a game with title of "Programming Challenge #9" was certainly an attempt to assert control over something - by tradition - is awarded to a challenge participant. The "game" posted by "someone" on the 'hawkraven' account earlier this week could have easily been titled something different. The conscious choice to use the Programming Challenge in the title wasn't innocent. Let me again suggest those users wishing to play social games online check out some other sites with higher internet traffic.

And would I be wrong to guess that the 'hawkraven' account is on a "public" compiuter in an assisted-living or retirement facility and that is why so many individuals are using the same account? If so - or if it is something similar - is there a way to allow for individual accounts for each user of that computer? Otherwise, there will likely be more issues like the one this week. And that is really unfair to the other (innocent) users of the computer.

And no apology necessary for "Will's anger". It wasn't even close to some of the uncivil things written in here.

Kyle In Hollywood

The 'hawkraven' account hasn't been killed. It is still a valid member's account and should be able to be logged into with the correct password. (If TCM had closed the account, all 'hawkraven' posts would now read as being posted as Guest.

Is that really true? All of Cinemascope's posts are still here, and that account was closed.

Maybe there is a difference between "closed" and "killed" and I should have chosen my words more accurately.

On page two of this forum, there is a thread titled "What Do You Watch Besides TCM" started by "Guest". If I remember correctly that person asked that their account be closed / removed. It might have to do with the flood of email alerts during the Forum upgrade. Or because of a disappointment / controversy during the Screened Out series in June. I think of that account as being "killed".

Members that have been banned for mis-behavior no longer can log-in to their existing accounts. The account still exists but the person has been banned frrom using that account. I guess "closed" is the correct term for such a situation.

But I would be surprised to find out that TCM / WebAdmin disabled that account for the posts earlier this week. As Challenge Moderator, I certainly didn't advocate such action nor did I contact WebAdmin about the situation. If the account is dis-abled, I am kind of disappointed because the situation certainly didn't rise to a level requiring that kind of response.

Can a member change the password on their account? If it is possible, maybe one of the 'hawkraven' users changed the password without telling the others.

Kyle In Hollywood

Oops! Somebody's been dragging up a bunch of really old threads today, and C-scope's reply to "What do you watch other than TCM?" was one of them. I just saw the name and assumed they were back, but of course, they are in one form or another. Just more junk to disrupt things around here.

I noticed it yesterday when all these old threads started popping up. Some showed yesterday's date and time but if you clicked on the name it was for a post back in April or some such time. It was almost as if they had been edited. Nothing looked new except the time of the posting.

It all looked a little weird.

Now that you have gotten too curious, I will tell you what the hawkraven account is. It's a film club called the Hawk Raven Film Club that meets once a week at the Lippmans house in Ann Arbor Michigan. We watch the essentials and underground every time it's on. One week in march, a member told the group about the forums. We weren't sure because we don't like to give away our information. So he created an account for all of us. He installed the auto-login on all of our computers. Then they had a stupid policy that said that if 1/4 of the club wanted to kill the account, then we would kill it. So I took the liberty of creating my own account and giving my information away. The club is still running though. To join, come over to William's house and watch with us.

Thanks for the clarification that the Film Club members were the ones that "killed" the group's account. TCM has taken such steps in the past for misbehavior and your post was vague enough to leave me (and others) believing that the action was taken by the WebAdministrators of this site.

And while others may have different experiences, I have never had any issues or problems related to giving TCM an email address to join these Forums. I don't receive any unsolicited email from them or any source that I can attribute to their use of my email address.

So, from my experience, you can tell the other members they have nothing to fear about creating their own individual accounts for these Forums.

("The Essentials" and "The Underground"???? Now there are two disparate series choices on which to build a Film Club.)

Kyle In Hollywood

With regard to the "old threads" here is the reason they have reappeared:

I have become concerned with what may stand the test of "fair use" in home-recorded video.

Many of us are "obsessed" with the "old film" hobby. For me that mainly includes early talkies through the film noir era.

I home-record ("timeshift") many titles and have dubbed to DVD selected titles from my twenty years of home-recorded videotapes. I keep an updated DVD index so that I may locate and watch what I please when I please. After auditioning a newly home-recorded DVD I enter the contents of the DVD into the index. The "titles" in the index include nearly everything that's recorded--movies and shorts, as well as much of what we've come to know as "interstitials." While the shorts and interstitials are identified as to genre, all these "titles" together add up to a large figure.

I watch my home-recorded DVDs as I have time. I am retired, in my sixties, and while I have never smoked I have a breathing problem that comes upon me with very little physical exertion--walking up a flight of stairs or carrying the recycling tub out to the curb. I take some medications for high blood pressure and others related to chemical imbalances caused by a tumor on one of my adrenal glands. The doctors suggest modifications to my diet, and exercise. For those reasons I think I shall not live to a very old age.

I say "let me die happy." Recording and watching the "old films" is what I enjoy most.

In the last two years I have given away or traded with family members and a few friends (including a few here on the Message Boards) perhaps no more than a dozen and a half copies of my home recorded DVDs. To my way of thinking this is still within the bounds of "fair use" as no money has changed hands.

In several of my earlier posts I mentioned the then-current number of "titles" in my DVD index. It is now my thought that these totals might be misinterpreted as going beyond personal viewing (timeshifting) or "fair use."

After considering recent comments that older threads have become closed (so that no new posts or editing may be submitted) I determined that it would be best to edit the earlier posts that might be misintrepted. It is for these reasons that I went back to my older postings and removed the references to the number of "titles" in my DVD index.

I am aware that editing a post brings the thread back to the top. I am sorry that my editing of older posts has caused confusion.

Hi, talkietime. I'm sorry to read you aren't feeling well. I have loved ones suffering from ALS, Alzheimer's, assorted cancers, heart disease and respiratory illnesses--so I've come to believe ailing people should do pretty much whatever they need to do to feel comfortable. You have one of the best hobbies in the world, and I hope you're having fun pursuing it.

I don't understand the fuss that's made here when there's any bumping up of the threads. What does it matter anyway? Best wishes for the holidays to you.

Hi, cascabel,

The reason that some of us get concerned by the reappearance of old threads is that we had a very bad experience with a troll on the board who pulled up tons of threads that were three to four years old, totally disrupting all the threads, new and old, which was his intention. I think we are all just a little gun-shy after that.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings