Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MADAME BLANCHE

Hibi

Did anyone like this movie? This was one Irene Dunne movie I'd never seen and I thoroughly enjoyed it. Very derivative of Madame X, but very well done (Dunne?) I thought! I didnt care much for This Man is Mine (or whatever it was) before it. I had to record the rest as I had to go to bed!

As these kinds of movies go, it wasn't bad. (And some of them can be quite good!)

Dunne was okay. I've enjoyed her more in other things, such as THEODORA GOES WILD, PENNY SERENADE and I REMEMBER MAMA.

For me, the real draw here was Lionel Atwill. We had a thread on him for a while under "horror", in which we discussed some of his more well-known horror roles, but this is from his more "mainstream" period (prior to his career-destroying perjury scandal in the early forties) and he's terrific as the father-in-law, who decides at first glance what kind of girl Dunne is just because she's a showgirl & lets that impression cause great sorrow over the ensuing years.

Sort of a more serious riff on his bombastic father in CAPTAIN BLOOD.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings