Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

1938 Christmas Carol with Reginald Owen DVD The Toy Store Scene??

Jackamerack

The Toy Store scene???

To anyone who has purchased this DVD of 1938 Christmas Carol version with Reginald Owen and Gene & Kathleen Lockhart. Does it contain the oft omitted toy store scene?? After Scrooge's eppiphany, after he names Fred his partner, they go by the toy store, wake up the owner and make him open the toy shop so that Scrooge can purchase the toys to take to Tiny Tim's house. This scene is soooo often cut from this film. But it makes it ever more enjoyable. Can anyone please tell me if this scene is intact on this DVD??

My DVD, bought directly from TCM.com/moviesunlimited does NOT have the scene you described. The end of the scene where Fred is made a partner fades away to the carriage pulling up to the Cratchit's door, with Fred and his wife handing the toys out the door to Scrooge as he prepares to surprise Bob and his family. I seem to recall the missing toy store scene as well. It had to be in this version, rather than the 1951 version. Scrooge did not visit the Cratchit's on Christmas Day in the 1951 version. My DVD is dated 2005 and lists the running time as 69 minutes. There are a few other movies where the DVD or VHS is missing a scene I could swear I saw either in the theater or on tv. I have a VHS version of the 1938 version and if I can find it I will see what the box lists as the running time.

© 2023 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings